Thread: Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlain Signature Snare

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlain Signature Snare

I've been the proud owner of this snare for a few months now and really enjoy it. I'll warn you now, this won't be a fully blown out detailed review yet. Just some initial feedback. First and foremost this snare cuts with personality. Its signature tone is both distinctive and enjoyable. While the signature tone definately has a solid metal ring to it, its still more musical than most metal snare tones. Yamaha says this is due to the satin coating of the shell and they may be right. Its a very similar shell design to a Vintage Ludwig Acrolite. I really like the low mass lugs and the double snare strainer adjustment feature. Thats right the drum has a strainer adjusting knob on both ends. This helps you to make simple adjustments if the snare wires aren't dead center on the reso head. I also really enjoy the sound of this drum without the snare on! Buzz rolls are very buzzy while non-buzz rolls sound real clean.......a sign of a quality design.

I write more later and get some pictures in weeks to come.

Its my first Yamaha snare drum and its a winner in my mind.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Cool Koopa, thanks for the review!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

didnt jimmy record the complex album and the new pumpkin album with it? he has always had a killer drum sound.

i read that the most noticable feature of the jimmy snare is that it has no gaskets or anything so that all the metal on the drum is in direct contact. hence, why it rings for days (just like he likes it).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    didnt jimmy record the complex album and the new pumpkin album with it? he has always had a killer drum sound.

i read that the most noticable feature of the jimmy snare is that it has no gaskets or anything so that all the metal on the drum is in direct contact. hence, why it rings for days (just like he likes it).
    That is interesting I would have never thought about the absence of gaskets causing a snare to increase in sustain. My supra doesn't have gaskets anywhere that I know of. I have taken it all apart before but i honestly don't remember if there is gaskets behind the lugs or not. I'll have to look after I post this!

User Info Menu

Just found that "Musicians Friend" finally posted my review of this snare that I wrote back in November.......

"I'm a drummer of 15 years and Jimmy was my main inspiration to start. I received my drum this morning with the factory remo head on it. First I tuned it tight on top and just a bit lower on the bottom head, finding it to produce an incredible sounding steel piccolo style. I then lowered the top batter head a fair amount and locked in to that classic steel snare sound. Very reminiscent of that vintage ludwig sound or a sensitone sound but with improved response and sound control. The way the snare has a distinctive metal tinge to the strike but never has an over ring amazes me! Only negative so far is this factory head seems to slip out of tune more easily than my pearl mmx snare. Best feature is that you can tune the snare from BOTH SIDES! Thats right, there is a snare adjuster on both sides of the drum. This allows you to easily make sure the snare is always centered on the bottom head! Sounds especially great for rock and reggae IMHO."
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Nice review Koopa thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlain Signature Snare

extremely helpful. im thinking im goin jimmy for my next snare.