Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koopa's Videos

User Info Menu

Default Koopa's Videos

Here are some clips from a gig I did last August with a band called Gargerelli

Here's me playing a gig last August.

Saggy Chest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUVdCJdHIA

Stool Daze
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BspRuiAfg

Gray Hair and Bellies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vke92bWftBQ

I Ate Too Much
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3uGf2NQYY

Please let me know about your feelings towards both my playing and how my kit sounds in respect to both the quality of the instruments and the mix.

As for the mix I'll say the sound guy at that club wasn't the best. I think my HH's are a bit too loud while both my ride and my toms are a bit too soft. But as far as the mix goes I personally love the sound of my crashes and the snare. At this show I used my midnight fade pearl mmx maple custom kit but stripped down to a fusion set up. 22" bass, 10" tom, 12" tom, 14" floor tom and 14" mmx maple custom snare with a coated remo powerstroke 3 head on top that produced a great fat sound but left a little to be desired in the responsiveness. Evans 2 ply clear heads on top and evans 1 ply clear on bottom of the toms. Aquarian Superkick II on kick side and remo powerstroke 3 ebony on the front side of the bass. I used all the cymbals listed below in my profile except the dry reflector ride and the 18" crash....but in there place I added a 12" Zildjian splash and a 8" Zildjian K custom splash.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

AWESOME! You're totally jamming dude!!!!!! Sounds great to me and you guys are really fun to watch......

User Info Menu

todally rockin dude

User Info Menu

Dude, all of it was awesome. You really rocked with that band, classic names too lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Koopa, I think your assessment of the mix is right on. It sounds pretty good overall, but the hats ocassionally come on too strong. The overall sound of the band is good though. I especially like that solid beat that the drummer is pounding out!! Nice vids Koopa! Thanks for sharing them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    Here are some clips from a gig I did last August with a band called Gargerelli ... Saggy Chest ... Stool Daze ... Gray Hair and Bellies ... I Ate Too Much ... Please let me know about your feelings towards both my playing and how my kit sounds in respect to both the quality of the instruments and the mix.

As for the mix I'll say the sound guy at that club wasn't the best. I think my HH's are a bit too loud while both my ride and my toms are a bit too soft. But as far as the mix goes I personally love the sound of my crashes and the snare. At this show I used my midnight fade pearl mmx maple custom kit but stripped down to a fusion set up. 22" bass, 10" tom, 12" tom, 14" floor tom and 14" mmx maple custom snare with a coated remo powerstroke 3 head on top that produced a great fat sound but left a little to be desired in the responsiveness. Evans 2 ply clear heads on top and evans 1 ply clear on bottom of the toms. Aquarian Superkick II on kick side and remo powerstroke 3 ebony on the front side of the bass. I used all the cymbals listed below in my profile except the dry reflector ride and the 18" crash....but in there place I added a 12" Zildjian splash and a 8" Zildjian K custom splash.
    koopa, I was laughin' so hard listening to the lyrics I almost didn't notice the glitches!!

The mix left a lot to be desired, indeed, since like you said, the high-hats were too high and the toms were too soft. I think part of it was the sound man, but from where the camera was located, it all sounded like you were further away from the mics than you were...the vocals were tough to hear.

My favorite of the four was "Gray Hair and Bellies"--as you see above, I qualify for both--but all of them were hilarious. Not what I would call an all-ages show, but you obviously had fun performing that night! "Saggy Chest" had a good jammin' beat, too. You referred you were influenced by Commando Cody--and I agree...

You dudes rock--and--you're funny, too! Congratulations, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    koopa, I was laughin' so hard listening to the lyrics I almost didn't notice the glitches!!

The mix left a lot to be desired, indeed, since like you said, the high-hats were too high and the toms were too soft. I think part of it was the sound man, but from where the camera was located, it all sounded like you were further away from the mics than you were...the vocals were tough to hear.

My favorite of the four was "Gray Hair and Bellies"--as you see above, I qualify for both--but all of them were hilarious. Not what I would call an all-ages show, but you obviously had fun performing that night! "Saggy Chest" had a good jammin' beat, too. You referred you were influenced by Commando Cody--and I agree...

You dudes rock--and--you're funny, too! Congratulations, bro'!

Thanks again for all the positive support peeps! Pastor Bob and Bongo, thanks for the feedback on the sound. The mix definately left much to be desired. Vocals were definately hard to hear (and not that great to begin with :O )

Glad you really liked the humor portion Bongo!

Here are a couple of "Videos" we released as well......

FUZZY LITTLE DUCKS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbj28ecVpYI

JOURNEY TO MIDDLETOWN
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR0jTnHSVBI

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Cool Koopa! the first one's got kind of a "Weird Al" feel to it! LOL The second one it just cool, and kind of catchy!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Koopa's Videos

OLA Very well Performed You really created a Smooth Feel
    within the Music *Your A ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST*Love all your Videos.
    GRACIAS for Shareing Your ARTISTIC PASSION,
    STICKS WIZZARD DRAGON

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words stickswizzarddragon.

Here is an audio clip of a very raw basic track that I recorded a few weeks ago with my band. Its just drums, bass, rythymn guitar, and keyboards. We all played this at the same time in the same room. Next step is to overdub some leads / vocals / extras / then polish everything. Remember its a raw mix but I hope you enjoy!

03 - I Like Da Pickles.mp3

equipment used: pearl mmx 6 piece (including jimmy chamberlain signature yamaha metal snare), zildjian a custom mastersound hihats, paiste signature reflector 15" and 16" crashes, paiste signature 20" power ride, sabian 10" b8pro splash, zildjian 12" A splash, zildjian 8" K splash, rhythymn tech cowbell

01 - Saggy Chest.mp3

equipment used: pearl mmx 6 piece (including mmx maple snare), zildjian a custom mastersound hihats, paiste signature reflector 15" and 16" crashes, paiste signature 20" power ride, sabian 10" b8pro splash, zildjian 12" A splash, zildjian 8" K splash, rhythymn tech cowbell

04 - Unemployment Line.mp3

equipment used: pearl mmx 5 piece, jimmy chamberlain signature yamaha metal snare, zildjian a custom mastersound hihats, paiste signature reflector 15" and 16" crashes, paiste signature 20" power ride, sabian 10" b8pro splash, zildjian 12" A splash, zildjian 8" K splash, rhythymn tech cowbell
    Last edited by koopa; 02-26-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: pickles has the jimmy snare, not the mmx

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Default Re: Koopa's Videos

4 BEATLES FANS...

This is a video recorded in the 70's (as you can tell from the quality ) recorded by my current band Gargerelli.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1aw_hd1-I

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

i love the sound of your kit man. And you gotta great groove happening love your songs A+ :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    i love the sound of your kit man. And you gotta great groove happening love your songs A+ :>
    thanks stevo I appreciate the kind words. i've worked really hard to create a very balanced kit and am really happy to hear how good it sounds recorded.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Some tooling around after work...

"Outro Blast"
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/...2_22_44_16.wmv

"Snare Rudiment Warm Up"
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/...2_22_54_43.wmv
    Last edited by koopa; 04-02-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Cool Koopa! BTW, you forgot to smile for the camera!

User Info Menu

Last edited by koopa; 04-03-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Hey Koopa, I just caught up with some of your other clips. Don't remember if it was a matter of "I'll have to catch'em later," and then I forgot, or if I just flat missed 'em before. I like the way you play. I seems nice and relaxed, and yet the technicality is there. I'm curious what your mic set up is, because the drums sound so good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey Koopa, I just caught up with some of your other clips. Don't remember if it was a matter of "I'll have to catch'em later," and then I forgot, or if I just flat missed 'em before. I like the way you play. I seems nice and relaxed, and yet the technicality is there. I'm curious what your mic set up is, because the drums sound so good.
    Thank you PB I do try to keep relaxed while playing, finding it leads to more creativity and it helps your "feel" for the music. Most of the videos posted in this thread were recorded differently so if you can specify which ones you really like then I'll be happy to give you as much detailed specifics about the mic's / recording process as possible.

Regards,
    Koopa

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Cool Koopa! I'll go through and take a listen again and ask about specific ones.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure why I can't get the video codec to work but you can still hear the drums very well.......
    The CD Skips at 2:24 and I drop a stick once but besides that, if I may be so bold, I feel I give a very passionate rendition of the original.

SMASHING PUMPKINS - SOMA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L3ijAsoIfpA
    Last edited by koopa; 04-20-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    Here are some clips from a gig I did last August with a band called Gargerelli

Here's me playing a gig last August.

Saggy Chest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUVdCJdHIA

Stool Daze
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BspRuiAfg

Gray Hair and Bellies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vke92bWftBQ

I Ate Too Much
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3uGf2NQYY

Please let me know about your feelings towards both my playing and how my kit sounds in respect to both the quality of the instruments and the mix.

Oh Man, I ate to much...That was cool! Sounded darn good to me and you certainly know how to handle yourself behind that kit. Looked like you all were having a lot of fun too.

User Info Menu

Thanks Fiacovaz!

This one isn't a video but its audio from our LIVE gig last year.

Ok here is a link to one of our favorite epics....

SHE HIT ME

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/...20Hit%20Me.mp3
    Last edited by koopa; 04-20-2008 at 11:59 AM.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

great job brother

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Liked it a lot Koopa, nice to see you play trad grip too.
    I would personally like to see you play some swing stuff, I think you would be a nice swinging player from what i see in your vid's.
    keep it up bud.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I appreciate the support!

Funny you should say that Ratmycue. I have felt the same way....always thought about leaning toward a swing direction. Seems to fit my approach at the kit. I had an abbreviated study period with jazz legend Sonny Igoe and he was a monster swing player and big band player. Maybe it was a contributing factor.

Paiste Signatures