Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-hats with double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Hi-hats with double pedal

Hey Guys, newbie to the site and gotta say I really like what I've seen so far! You guys are just a great community for sharing knowledge and experience.
    I recently just got back into drumming again after not owning a set for about 13 years. Played alot in highschool (set and marching) and just didn't have time while in college and working.

With that said I wanted to seek some advice from you guys if possible. I just recently purchased a nice used Pearl set that came with a double pedal. I've never used a double pedal and am having fun learning it, but I've also stumbled across a question...What do you guys do with your high hat while using the double pedal? Do you leave the set screw loose so they sit closed without your foot on the pedal or is there some other tricks you use?

Appreciate any help and tricks you guys have.

Thanks,

Ernie S.

User Info Menu

I let the Hats loose...and I hit the closed hats....

But I heard from my friend, that was some hardware (as far I know it's published by TAMA and YAMAHA)....Which can change the hats tilt...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I use a what is called a DW drop clutch. It is an attachment that will drop the top cymbal on the bottom with the strike of a stick and then when you push down on your pedal it will pick the top cymbal up again when you release the pedal. Most top end drum manufactures make a similar clutch to replace your set screw type high hat clutch.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-10-2008 at 10:07 AM.

User Info Menu

I use a what is called a DW drop clutch. It is an attachment that will drop the top cymbal on the bottom with the strike of a stick and then when you push down on your pedal it will pick the top cymbal up again when you release the pedal. Most top end drum manufactures make a similar set to replace your set screw type high hat clutch.
    That exactly what I reffered before....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

What they said....and welcome to Drum Chat Ernie! You'll learn all kinds of great stuff here, and you'll have fun too!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    That seems like to much hardware to me. What I am refering too is a piece that you attach your top cymbal to the tightens on your high hat push rod. It has a lever that you stricke with a stick to realease it. It is simple and costs about $25.00 It is called a high hat drop clutch.

User Info Menu

i want to get a cobra clutch and nice 2 leg hi hat stand for my double kick kit but for just a double pedal i learned that by puting the hat pedal and bass pedal right next to each other i could turn my foot so my heal was on the pedal and toe was on my hat. and i could play both
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I use a what is called a DW drop clutch. It is an attachment that will drop the top cymbal on the bottom with the strike of a stick and then when you push down on your pedal it will pick the top cymbal up again when you release the pedal. Most top end drum manufactures make a similar clutch to replace your set screw type high hat clutch.
    thats what i use. however most music i would play dble kick on i use my hats partially open and sloshy thru the kick patterns.

User Info Menu

here is my pedal setup...

User Info Menu

That's the first time I've had a peek behind your kit Funky! Nice! I like how you've got the extra beater on the left kick pedal for the cowbell. Is that a special setup, or are the left pedal and the hi-hat pedal just side by side?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default cool

you guys are awesome. I figured you just left the top hat loose, but on my set it sounds a bit too loose and splashy when i play like that. That cobra clutch looks like a cool piece of hardware. Thanks for the help.

Ernie

User Info Menu

I noticed the quick beat high hats funky, that is what I play. I love the way mine sound!

User Info Menu

welcome to the site bernie, i see you have been helped and that pretty much characterizes the website, friendly and helpful

User Info Menu

I have the Yamaha drop clutch, i think it is even better than the DW
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Either that or you can get a set of closed hi-hats and mount them somewhere else. I have mine mounted next to my ride to my right. When I play double kicks I switch to open handed.

Also funky, I really like that cowbell set up. I have been doing off beats with my hi-hat pedal lately and have thought it would be really cool if I could get the cowbell happening on the foot pedal. Nice set up.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That's the first time I've had a peek behind your kit Funky! Nice! I like how you've got the extra beater on the left kick pedal for the cowbell. Is that a special setup, or are the left pedal and the hi-hat pedal just side by side?
    the left kick/cowbell pedal are connected to the hat pedal. it is all one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I noticed the quick beat high hats funky, that is what I play. I love the way mine sound!
    i like em' but they are just too loud for some things.
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Either that or you can get a set of closed hi-hats and mount them somewhere else. I have mine mounted next to my ride to my right. When I play double kicks I switch to open handed.

Also funky, I really like that cowbell set up. I have been doing off beats with my hi-hat pedal lately and have thought it would be really cool if I could get the cowbell happening on the foot pedal. Nice set up.
    it was a must have after watching some el negro and antonio sanchez vids.

User Info Menu

I would agree they are loud, I would like to have set ogf new beats as a back up.

User Info Menu

you read my mind brotha...

User Info Menu

Thxs For The Idea About Da Cowbell Funky......way Cool.... Now The Next Time Someone Yells "more Cowbell" I Can Go Nuts!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i used to keep it closed, but then i got a lock clutch, which allows me to keep them open or closed depending how i feel.

http://www.become.com/shop?q=hi-hat+...kuid=497059837

thats a good example. it hold the hi hat open when you want it open, and when you hit it w/ ur stick, it closes and stays shut until you push down on the pedal, which opens the hats again. thats what i use now, so maybe you should look to get one
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    here is my pedal setup...

when you double bass, does the cowbell play on the "e" and "a" every time?
    casue if you play RLRL (16th notes) the 2 lefts will hit the pedal and cowbell, so im just curious how it sounds?
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Hi-hats with double pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerbock View Post
    when you double bass, does the cowbell play on the "e" and "a" every time?
    casue if you play RLRL (16th notes) the 2 lefts will hit the pedal and cowbell, so im just curious how it sounds?
    OLA como estas' DrummerBock **ARTIST DRUMMER *
    COOL TRAPS (SET)Good PICTURE **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Hi-hats with double pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    OLA como estas Beave ARTIST DRUMMER * YES TAMA COBRA CLUTCH IS HOT **GRACIAS It just Works GREAT with THE IRON
    COBRA POWER GLIDE OR ROLLING GLIDE infact all the PEDALS**

User Info Menu

So every time U hit the left bass drum pedal you also hit the cow bell??