Thread: wuhan or paiste 2002 series chinas or sabian AA fast china

User Info Menu

Default wuhan or paiste 2002 series chinas or sabian AA fast china

So I'm having a difficult time deciding on whether or not to spend the money and pick up a 2002 series 18 inch china or an 18 inch AA sabian fast china or an 18 to 20 inch wuhan (way less expensive). Man I love sabians signature jia china but for three hundred some bucks for a china that I will eventually crack its not worth it to me. My question is, do the larger wuhans have a quick decay like their smaller counterparts, or do they have a muddy bronzy sounding decay. To me larger chinas should have a sound similar to that of a steam piston, while smaller ones should sound like a whip cracking at the end of a fill. I own a 12 inch wuhan and a very very tired beat up zildjian custom china, its time to retire it. Anybody who owns any of the three chinas I described that can give me feed back please let me know what you think of them.

User Info Menu

In a round about way I think I still won't answer your question when I'm done here:

The Paiste and the AA are somewhat the same animal but I enjoy the Sabian's sound more.

The Wuhan is much less "musical" to my ears and is more like effects "noise".

But with that being said, with a china, you can actually get away with a trashier sound in most applications.

I really enjoy Meinl's Filter Chinas these days. They are not very expensive but not as cheap in price as Wuhan's.

Because of how the Wuhans are made I'm going to guess they won't last as long as the Paiste, Sabian, or the Meinls.

User Info Menu

Default Re: wuhan or paiste 2002 series chinas or sabian AA fast china

Wuhans are cheap. I bought mine last october, and it sounded great until about january. After that, I noticed that some days, it would sound amazing, and other days it was horrible. I finally cracked it about a week ago. So if you are looking to not spend much at all, but only have it for 5 months, then get the wuhan.

User Info Menu

Hi Ross, and welcome to Drum Chat!

I'm a Wuhan China fan. I've had mine for a while now, and it's still going strong. I've got an 18" China, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

ThePloughman Guest

I have a Paiste 2002 18" Thin China ......... trashy, quick decay, musical, thin. Im not a basher. I like it. Never did like a wuhan. And have never made friends with a Sabian cymbal at all.

User Info Menu

Paiste 2002 Novo China, awesome.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

the paiste 2002 is a great cymbal

User Info Menu

I have a Paiste 3000 16" China Type and a Paiste 3000 18" China Type. Love them!!!
    The old 3000 series is the same as the current 2002 series. Paiste kept the same "formula", just changed the name.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction