Thread: Any Lefties? (Not the Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon kind!)

User Info Menu

Default Any Lefties? (Not the Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon kind!)

Hey any other Lefties out there? I'm a left handed drummer who just got a set after not playing for many years. I was curious if there were many other lefties and how they played/setup their kits. I started drumming in middle school and always had to share the kit with others so I learned to play with an open (left hand) high hat form because I couldn't flip the drums around. I'd like to hear from some others and whether you just learned to play the right handed setup or switched your kit around to suit you. I'm debating whether to just keep practicing in the form I learned with or to switch the drums around so I may be able to play more comfortably and possibly better.

Thanks

Ernie S.

User Info Menu

I am a lefty and set my kit up opposite of the right handed drummers.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-10-2008 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm lefty and the only thing I do righty is drum. Not sure why but when I got my set I just set it up for a righty and figured if I had real problems I would set it up for a lefty but never have. Sounds like a project for the weekend and see how it goes.
    I sleep with my sticks.

User Info Menu

"Not the Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon kind!"

User Info Menu

Over 2,500 left-handed people die each year from using products designed for right-handed people

Just FYI

6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

Hi.

User Info Menu

Cool Any lefties?

Quote Originally Posted by ATC View Post
    Over 2,500 left-handed people die each year from using products designed for right-handed people...
    Did they include drum kits?

Ernie, I had the opposite experience once. I'm right-handed, and I was playing drums at a friend's house...the friend was a bass guitarist, and his buddy kept his drum kit (left-handed arrangement) in the basement...so I appreciate what you went through learning to play a right-handed kit.

I also have a (right-handed) buddy who plays his congas and bongos the way a lefty would (small drums to his right instead of to his left); in this case, he just preferred the way they sounded...

Now, back to your question...which I must answer with another question! As you're playing right-handed right now, have you tried playing with the left-hand setup? Whichever feels more comfortable to you is the one you should stick with (no pun intended!)...

Welcome to DrumChat, and I'm sure you'll get back into the groove before long, whichever way you decide to set up the kit!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

im ambidextris so i like to play with my kit symetrical, i can play eather way but like the symatry
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Over 2,500 left-handed people die each year from using products designed for right-handed people

Just FYI

now im worried lol
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

how do they find this stuff out ? :S

Oh wait not drumming stuff.... Were prolly talking about tools and stuff that are dangerous.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool

Just FYI

That's discriminatory. I am going to sue that left handed people are forced to live in a right handed world and our rights are being violated.

User Info Menu

Talking

Just FYI

LOL!! Tell me about it! after trying to cut something with right handed scissors I usually want to stab myself with them!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys!

Davie, Dont mean to sound dumb, but how is your setup symetrical? where are your hats setup? which direction do your toms progress?

Bongo, ya it was pretty awkward to learn that way. I was always finding myself having trouble with fills and stuff on the toms because I would naturally want to lead with my left. I had a couple lessons when I was in school where the instructor let me switch his kit around and it actually felt pretty good. I'm thinking I'll take Wiper101's advice and switch my kit around this weekend and see how it goes. I may never switch back!

Thanks Guys!

Ernie

User Info Menu

I'm leftie but I'm so used to doing right handed stuff
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I am a lefty playing a righty set up which makes me paranoid about injuries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie S. View Post
    Thanks for the info guys!

Davie, Dont mean to sound dumb, but how is your setup symetrical? where are your hats setup? which direction do your toms progress?

Bongo, ya it was pretty awkward to learn that way. I was always finding myself having trouble with fills and stuff on the toms because I would naturally want to lead with my left. I had a couple lessons when I was in school where the instructor let me switch his kit around and it actually felt pretty good. I'm thinking I'll take Wiper101's advice and switch my kit around this weekend and see how it goes. I may never switch back!

Thanks Guys!

Ernie
    Ernie, I would give it a try. I too started out right handed, but I have a very good friend who is a professional musician (jazz Pianist and emmy winning composer) anyway, he said if you are left handed why don't you set the kit up that way and lead with your left which you are naturally inclined to do anyway. I thought about it and tried it and have never looked back. It was the best decision that I have made as far as drumming in concerned. I will say also that starting out right handed, my right foot was already pretty developed for double bass pedals, It really helped with my independence. Give it a try and see what you think!

User Info Menu

Ian Paice (Deep Purple, Whitesnake etc...) is a lefty. His drumming is amazing.

all the best...

User Info Menu

E.S.
    I am a southpaw too.
    When I try to play right handed I sound like I did when I was nine.

Here's a pic of my set:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...inka/Taye1.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie S. View Post
    Ernie
    you dont sound dumb i know it sounds strange but for the lonegest time when ik have my kit set up it would look symetrical but would play strangely for anything normal. it had the toms right ahead of the snare running right but floor toms on each side and hi hat and bass in normal places but an extra pedal that would have played another high hat if i had one as a lefty would set it. so basicaly if you were a lefty you could sit and have a non trad drum fill if your a righty you could have normal. ive since switched up to a convetional right handed set up and play open handed so i can do tom and hi hat stuff
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Im a lefty that plays righty too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Thanks

So I switched my kit around Saturday and I'm thinking it may have to stay this way! It was a pretty busy weekend so I didn't have a bunch of time to play, but I gotta say it did feel much more natural for me. Hopefully I'll get to play some more this weekend and really feel it out.

My friend's kid is kinda bummed though, he's 10 (and right handed) and was having fun when he came over playing on them. Him and his dad stopped by on Sunday to watch the game and I heard him yell "What happened to your drums??!?!?!" when he walked into my office. Pretty funny!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Ernie

User Info Menu

Cool Any Lefties?

Ernie--glad to hear it worked out for ya, bro'...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I started a thing a few years ago...every now and then, switch the set around opposite and play them as a lefty. Just playing some simple grooves and fills etc... It really helps to build up that sense of independence.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ernie, I noticed you are from Albuquerque NM, I am from Farmington, it is good to have someone on here from my home state. Do you get into Grandma's music much? I like that store! And you are a fellow leftie, good for you!!!

User Info Menu

Hey, cool backtodrum! I've only been up to Farmington once and it was many moons ago. Cool to see a fellow New Mexican. I'm born and raised in Albuquerque.

Ya I like gradmas alot. Like a kid in a candy store!!! Before my kit had arrived I went in there to buy some sticks and I swear i spent like 2 hours in there looking at all the kits and cymbals and everything. They have a really nice selection. I was out of drumming for a long time so it was cool to see what was new.

I'm looking for a good throne now so I was in there the other day test driving some.

BTW, thanks for all the good advice on the lefty drumming bro. I'm looking forward to getting some more time in on my set now that i switched it over. Pretty sure I'm going to dig it and be able to play better.

Ernie