Thread: Zildjian 16in Scimitar Bronze Rock Crash Cymbal

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian 16in Scimitar Bronze Rock Crash Cymbal

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me the quality of these cymbals please .I just bought one from flebay and am waiting for it to arrive .i know it`s not top of the range but the guy told me he paid 90 quid for it about 6-8 years ago so it`s not bottom of the range either .(if what he tells me isn`t ebay bull),anyone had any experience with these ??

i paid 13 quid for it btw !!!!

dave

User Info Menu

ok i got it now ....it`s pretty nice ...a little bit clangy on the sustain but has a clear crisp crash .i`m pretty pleased with it for about 23 dollars hahah

dave

User Info Menu

I have a set of 14" Zildjian Scimitar Bronze hats that I use. They are pretty good, but I'm ready to upgrade as the chink is lower pitched than I like. Not bad though.

Great deal on the crash! You don't find deals like that very often.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

bad choice , i have one

they crack every six months

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rtl666
    bad choice , i have one

they crack every six months
    what the hat?! cause i beat the heck outta mine and they dont really have dents in them ...maybe you should try setting your cymbals diffrently
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

imo the worst cymbal line EVER. if you think zbt and b8 are bad you did not grow up in the era of the schimitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    imo the worst cymbal line EVER. if you think zbt and b8 are bad you did not grow up in the era of the schimitar.
    I agree.... I've got pots and pan lids that sound better lol..

User Info Menu

I am not much on the sound either, but the main reason I stay away from these, is they are really a soft cymbal, if you at all a rock drummer, play live alot, this cymbal will not hold, I had one and I am not a heavy hitter at all and every crash put a small dent around the edge, they were designed for the beginner, and are definitely the bottom of the line cymbal from zildjian, well now that line is discontinued, and replaced with a slightly better ZBT line, anyway for $23 bucks, even if you used it for one show, it was worth it, lol.

User Info Menu

I have the 14" hats and I hate them...can't wait till I have the money to replace them....
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Hehe, the church where our band practices has a set of Scimitars on their kit. I loathe those cymbals.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian 16in Scimitar Bronze Rock Crash Cymbal

My hats don't even fit together properly, I've only had them for 6 months! The crash ride sucks, too.

User Info Menu

How funny is this? I know how you guys just love bringing up old threads!

I was just searching my (discontinued) most favorite hi-hats I've ever owned. The Zildjian Scimitar Bronze series. In searching these hats I can hardly find anyone who likes them. And then down the page I found DRUM CHAT had a thread on the Scimitar's crash.

I first went from a crappy pair of ZBT's that soon had to go and found a set of 13 inch nice Z custom Dyno bent hats for 60 bucks on C.L. They got good reviews and was definitely an improvement over the ZBT's. And I used them for a few years.

But then lately I started wondering if I really liked them. Crazy heavy and just hard as a rock. But they did shine up good and looked killer behind the kit.

My last kit I picked up came with these bronze Zildjian Scimitar's hats. I left them out and left them alone, they just didn't seem appealing to me at the time.

Them recently out of boredom I switch them out thinking I'd try the dreadfully hated Scimitar's hats and I like'em! I guess I like a trashy thin soft hi-hat that has a little flex to them, man you can just make these things almost sing and talk! Not much to look at and probably wont clean up much better but for now they stay.

Should I pack up my things and leave?

User Info Menu

I've never tried the hats. However I have heard the crashes, and have played the 20" ride in person. Crashes sounded awful. The ride sound with the stick tip wasn't too bad, but the bell was pretty bad and the crash is absolutely terrible. These make ZBT's sound good. Again, never played the hats, so maybe those do sound better and everyone has their own preference. But for the crashes and ride, I'd definitely stay away.

User Info Menu

Mine are originals from 1989-1990. I bashed the hell out of these and they took a pounding. They're not great; probably not even good but, they serve their purpose well. I still own my first cymbals.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"