Thread: Sonor Force 3007 vs. Yamaha Tour Custom

User Info Menu

Default Sonor Force 3007 vs. Yamaha Tour Custom

I am trying to decide between a Sonor Force 3007 and a Yamaha Tour Custom, both new 7-piece sets. I was also considering a Pacific MX, but I am not sure about that one, the hardware seems kinda flimsy? Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Yamaha hands down.

User Info Menu

I am guessing you play Yamaha? Anything wrong with Sonor? I just sold my Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage kit, and I liked it a lot. I was originally going to get a new Yamaha kit, without even looking at other kits, but then I started looking around....I have to admit that one of the reasons is that the Sonors come in some nice finishes...but soundwise?

User Info Menu

i have not gotten my hands on the tour custom yet, but i know the stage customs are pretty well built for an intermediate priced kit. i'm kinda assuming (correct me if i'm wrong), the tour custom is prolly the same build as the stage custom but with maple shells. they prolly sound great, but i have seen alot of long term issues with "stage" customs hardware not really handling "stage" work very well.
    the sonor is built like a tank. the shell hardware and durabilty make it well suited for gigging. it can take a beating. the 3007 hasnt really been around long enuff to really tell, but i know people that have been very happy with previous force models for several years. i have been playing an early model birch force kit (not sure what series) at a local open jam night once, sometime twice a week for about 4 years. every drummer in town has abused that thing and it hasnt even required the tightening of a single screw. plus the kick on it sounds about as good as any i've heard. can't say the same for the toms, i wouldnt know...the jam "host" drummer cant tune for crap....lol

User Info Menu

The Sonor's are good drums and are made in the same factory as Mapex, they are very close in specs. The Yamaha's are good drums also. If it were me I would go with the MX PDPs because I play PDP's now. the hardware package that comes with the MX's is the 800 series, Just opt for the 900 series and it is the same stuff as DW5000 series, there is not much difference other than the badges. If I didn't have my current kit and was looking for another giging kit I would seriously consider the Sonor's though.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-11-2008 at 12:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Sonor. Hands Down. :-)

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Folsen! I did some research on the Sonor Force 3007 kit when I was buying an intermediate kit, back in April or May, and I considered it to be an outstanding kit. I narrowed my choice to the Sonor Force 3007 (at that time it was offered as a 5 piece), and the Gretsch Catalina maple (with was offered as a 6 piece). I really agonized, as some in here will remember. I finally made up my mind to go with the Sonor kit (even though slightly more expensive), and then the finish that I wanted became unavailable, so I went with the Gretsch. The point that I am making is this: I have discovered that I really couldn't have made a bad decision by going either way. I absolutely love the sound of my Gretsch kit, and I wouldn't trade it for the Sonor now. At the same time, I realize that there are still things about the Sonor Force 3007 that would make it a great kit to buy.

I think you may be facing a similar dilemna. You don't want to make a bad choice now that you've got it narrowed down to these last 2 kits. My advice is to hear what other drummers have to say (there is a lot of great experience around here), and then go and put your sticks on the kits (again, hopefully), to see if one of the kits just stands out in your mind. It may even come down to whether you like the finish of one better than the other that will make the final decision. Whatever helps you make the decision, just enjoy the process. I wish I was in the market for another set, because as I look back, I really did enjoy the process of choosing my kit (it was that last decision that was the hard one).

And again, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input.
    I went back to Interstate Music today and ordered the Yamaha Tour Customs 7pc), should have them next week. Except the 16" additional floor tom will take a few more weeks. I think I'll enjoy them, I'll post again when I have them in house and tuned up...

User Info Menu

i'm sure they will serve you well and make you happy for a long time.

User Info Menu

Good choice. Yamaha stuff is top notch for sure, not that the other kits arent. The yamaha kits i have played just sounded than the sonor kits ive played. Oh and i play Tama drums btw.

User Info Menu

I went back to Interstate Music today and ordered the Yamaha Tour Customs 7pc), should have them next week.
    Cograts dude...Hope u like ur new kit....
    And I myself like YAMAHA better than SONOR...

I palyed YAMAHA at the studio I used to playin band...And it awesome....I dunno the type though ....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Good drum set folsen!
    Hope have a good time with your new kit and at drumchat too!
    Send photos if you can!
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!

User Info Menu

I will post pictures by next week, hopefully. I think someone else mentioned that the Tour Customs don't really come in many nice finishes, and I agree. The ones I ordered are brown sunburst, the other finishes are just so so.... I had a slight moment of regret when I saw some nice pics of the Pacific MX in natural to tan finish...
    Since I have no kit at the time, I have some to practice my technique, I am trying to switch to traditional grip with my left hand...it's going ok for now, maybe in six months it'll feel comfortable and natural?

User Info Menu

Both are great kits. I would be very indescisive on this. but i think tour customs might be the choice, simply because i have better experience with Yamahas
    The best things in life involve drums. Drums drums and more drums. oh yeah.