Thread: Remo Powersonic Kick drum head???

User Info Menu

Default Remo Powersonic Kick drum head???

Ok well I got this for xmas and I recently put it on and I think I need some help with tuning it.
    Let me explain with my Superkick 2, I had a deep, punchy boom sound, that I loved, well after putting this head on, I get a huge deep bass sound when hit lightly, but when I lay into it, it just chokes out and looses everything, I have the head tuned just above wrinkles, like I had my Superkick, and I have not changed the tuning on my front head, what am I doing wrong? HELP PLEASE.

User Info Menu

Hey PDP, when you say you have your head tuned just over wrinkles, which head are your referring too? Reso or batter or both?

Also, when did you put it on? Has it had time to stretch out? And have you stretched it out at all yourself. I had to do this with my EMAD going by the advice of where I bought it.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

tighten it up so it can really move the air man, the same thing happened to me and i tightened it a little and it was a lot better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Hey PDP, when you say you have your head tuned just over wrinkles, which head are your referring too? Reso or batter or both?

Also, when did you put it on? Has it had time to stretch out? And have you stretched it out at all yourself. I had to do this with my EMAD going by the advice of where I bought it.
    I was referring to my Batter, my reso is quite a bit tighter, and no I haven't really seated it, so maybe I will do that as well, thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    tighten it up so it can really move the air man, the same thing happened to me and i tightened it a little and it was a lot better
    I will try that, each head is different, I figured I could just tune it the same as my superkick, but I guess this one is going to be a little more finiky, thanks man.

User Info Menu

i kinda felt the same way with the powerstroke 3 i bought a couple years ago. i could not get a good all around tuning. thats why i went to the superkicks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i kinda felt the same way with the powerstroke 3 i bought a couple years ago. i could not get a good all around tuning. thats why i went to the superkicks.
    I guess I will keep trying with this head and if it don't produce what I want to hear, then I will put my SK2 back on, thanks funky.

User Info Menu

Or even exchange it for the EMAD and try that out in case you havent already. Definately worth a shot
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

yeah man, keep messin' with it. if you never try new heads and stuff, you never know if there is something you like more. it can can sometimes be worth the price of a head to know what you really like.

User Info Menu

tighten it up! i have both my batter (powersonic) and reso (ambassador) a good deal tight and it has tons of power and punch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morrison_205 View Post
    tighten it up! i have both my batter (powersonic) and reso (ambassador) a good deal tight and it has tons of power and punch.
    Thanks, How tight do you keep your heads?

User Info Menu

I use the powerstroke 3 and with it you have to tighten it up a bit and it should get better