Thread: Rock'n the Stoves AND Rock'n the Drums!

User Info Menu

Cool Rock'n the Stoves AND Rock'n the Drums!

The Shoutbox produces many great ideas for threads...and here's yet another one...2slow, leeman36, kay-gee, drum_chick and yours truly hit upon the idea of forming a recipe thread...

If you've got some killer recipes you'd like to share with your brother and sister drummers, put 'em here!

Bon appetit (or should that be BONGO appetit?)!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

At first I actually thought you were a cooker bro.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Cool Rock'n the Stoves...

BONGOBRO'S TEXAS POTATOES

Actually Mrs. 'bro's recipe, but I jazzed it up a bit...

9" x 13" casserole--6 to 8 servings

2 pounds frozen hash browns (can also use Potatoes O'Brien with chopped onions and peppers)
    1/2 cup melted margarine
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cream of chicken soup (or other cream soup)
    1 cup (8-ounce carton) sour cream
    1 (8-ounce) bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese (to kick things up a notch, use part sharp cheddar and part pepper Jack cheese)
    1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained (OPTIONAL)

1/4 cup melted margarine
    1/2 cup crushed cereal (original called for cornflakes, but I use crushed Wheat Chex or Spoon Size Shredded Wheat instead)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) Spray 9" x 13" casserole with cooking spray; set aside.

3) In large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup melted margarine, diced onions, black pepper, salt, undiluted soup, sour cream and shredded cheese. If using diced green chilies, add them now.

4) Turn into casserole. Combine 1/4 cup melted margarine and crushed cereal; spread on top of potato mixture.

5) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes are bubbly and topping is browned.

Awesome side dish with grilled steak or barbecued pork steaks, ribs, or even grilled burgers, hot dogs or brats!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

leeman's Chicken Fried Steak (for best results use Cube steak)

1 pack cube steak

2 eggs

1/4 cup oil

1 1/2 cups flour

put the flour in a plate and salt and pepper to taste

Beat the 2 eggs in a bowl

put oil in pan turn to medium heat

dip your steak into the beaten eggs then dip into

the flour mixture and pan fry until done and golden brown

after all the steaks are done if needed add a little oil to the skillet

add about 1/4 cup flour to the hot oil salt and pepper to taste

stir with a wire wisk until smooth

add a little milk at a time while stirring with the wire wisk

continue adding milk a little at a time until it reaches

a desired consistancy spoon over steak and serve with mashed potatoes

User Info Menu

Cool Rock'n the Stoves...

Hey, leeman--gonna have to try this recipe tomorrow night for dinner!

Tasty stuff, bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Ahhhh!!!! BB is a cooker!!! Woe is drumchat...
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Anyone got a good recipe for hash brownies??

Shazane Guest

I'll admit I'm not the greatest in the world, but here's a secret recipe of mine...

Ice:

2 Hydrogen

1 Oxygen

Put in cold place

Delicious!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    I'll admit I'm not the greatest in the world, but here's a secret recipe of mine...

Ice:

2 Hydrogen

1 Oxygen

Put in cold place

Delicious!
    My favorite!
    I drink at least 2 litles a day.

User Info Menu

Steak a la' crazyman

Steak - whatever your preference, but mine is a 250gm Scotch Fillet
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    Butter - approx 2 tbsp
    Worcesteshire sauce
    Thyme
    Paprika
    Chicken Salt (yep, really)

Melt butter in pan, add crushed garlic once melted - once heat has raised and garlic has started to brown, start cooking steak. Cooking time will vary on your preference and size of steak, good general rule is to watch for blood pooling at the top of the steak, and/or pressing it with your tongs/finger. While steak is cooking, season to taste with thyme, chicken salt and paprika, then dash worcestershire sauce (again do this to taste, but remember worcesteshire sauce can pack a punch). Turning should take place once significant amount of blood has started to pool at top of steak, turning at this point helps seal in the juices. Wait to long and steak will dry out. After turning, repeat seasoning process. Steak should only need to be turned once unless your a freak who likes it burnt, sorry, I mean well done (otherwise known as cooking to a burnt piece of crap).

Serve with thick cut beer battered steakhouse chips, and choice of Steak, BBQ or HP sauce.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

i am going to cook a dinner for my girlfriend for valentines day...and its going to be pasta. anyone have any ideas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    BONGOBRO'S TEXAS POTATOES

Actually Mrs. 'bro's recipe, but I jazzed it up a bit...

9" x 13" casserole--6 to 8 servings

2 pounds frozen hash browns (can also use Potatoes O'Brien with chopped onions and peppers)
    1/2 cup melted margarine
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cream of chicken soup (or other cream soup)
    1 cup (8-ounce carton) sour cream
    1 (8-ounce) bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese (to kick things up a notch, use part sharp cheddar and part pepper Jack cheese)
    1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained (OPTIONAL)

1/4 cup melted margarine
    1/2 cup crushed cereal (original called for cornflakes, but I use crushed Wheat Chex or Spoon Size Shredded Wheat instead)

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) Spray 9" x 13" casserole with cooking spray; set aside.

3) In large bowl, combine hash browns, 1/2 cup melted margarine, diced onions, black pepper, salt, undiluted soup, sour cream and shredded cheese. If using diced green chilies, add them now.

4) Turn into casserole. Combine 1/4 cup melted margarine and crushed cereal; spread on top of potato mixture.

5) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until potatoes are bubbly and topping is browned.

Awesome side dish with grilled steak or barbecued pork steaks, ribs, or even grilled burgers, hot dogs or brats!
    Bongo I love those potatoes, we call them funeral potatoes here because everyone seems to bring those for funerals at my church. But it is the same recipe, and they are really good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    i am going to cook a dinner for my girlfriend for valentines day...and its going to be pasta. anyone have any ideas?
    Salmon in a white lemony sauce with pasta.
    OR
    Mushrooms in a tomato sauce with pasta.

User Info Menu

nice vinny i might try the salmon, what kind of pasta?

User Info Menu

Penne sticks to sauces very well, id go for that.

And for afters id make chocolate cake, but make it with white chocolate insteuad of dark chocolate.

User Info Menu

Cool St. Louis-Style Barbecued Pork Steaks

While it may be a little early for grillin' in colder parts of the world (like St. Louis right now), you might want to try this recipe now...posted by popular demand!

Pork steaks are a uniquely St. Louis invention; if you can't find them in your local supermarket, have your butcher slice up a boneless pork shoulder butt crosswise; the resulting steaks should be approximately 1" thick...

BONGOBRO'S ST. LOUIS-STYLE BARBECUED PORK STEAKS
    (Serves 4 to 6)

2-3 pounds pork steaks (see above paragraph if pre-cut pork steaks aren't available in your store)
    Unseasoned instant meat tenderizer
    2 24-ounce bottles (equivalent to six cups) Maull's barbecue sauce (this is a St. Louis area brand, and can be best described as a tomato-and-vinegar-based barbecue sauce with Worcestershire sauce among the flavor notes; I use one bottle of original flavor and one bottle of smoky barbecue sauce...you can use a tomato-based barbecue sauce or other similar concoction)

Here's a link to the Maull's website, btw: http://maull.com/

1) Preheat your gas, charcoal or wood grill for barbecuing as usual. Spray grill with PAM or other nonstick spray BEFORE HEATING.

2) About 30 minutes before starting to cook, sprinkle steaks with meat tenderizer and pierce deeply with a fork. DO NOT USE ADDITIONAL SALT.

3) When barbecue grill is ready (let coals burn down to approximately a "2-Mississippi" or "3-Mississippi" fire; to check, hold your hand approximately two inches above the heat. Count "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, 3-Mississippi..." If you have to pull your hand back by "3-Mississippi," coals are ready. (If you're a hand drummer like me, this may not be totally accurate!)

4) Grill steaks, turning frequently, until well done. (I haven't formally timed this out, so grill until meat is no longer pink and is nicely browned. You will need to keep an eye on the steaks to douse flare-ups if necessary.)

5) In a 9" x 13"-inch metal pan, empty the barbecue sauce; heat over the coals. If you have a gas grill with a separate side burner, place the sauce in a large dutch oven instead. As each steak is cooked, drench them in the barbecue sauce and simmer on the grill about 20-30 minutes. This does NOT produce crispy, burnt-style barbecue; rather it makes the meat so tender it practically falls apart when it's served.

6) Serve with BONGOBRO'S TEXAS POTATOES (see recipe posted above), crisp raw vegetables, and garlic bread.

7) You can also use this method to barbecue hamburgers, hot dogs or brats in the same way. On Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, and Labor Day, the b-bro grills pork steaks, burgers and dogs this way, so Mrs. 'bro and the girls have at least a couple days worth of barbecue!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Cool Rock'n the Stoves AND Rock'n the Drums

(P.S.: Weather conditions may alter length of cooking time, as shown in this pic! ) This picture was taken three years ago, shortly after I became a DrumChatter, BTW--and the shirt is a walking billboard for John Fornaszewski's drum shop (see that thread!)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charlie

User Info Menu

Cool Rock'n the Stoves and Rock'n the Drums!

Here are a couple of neat 9" x 13" cakes for your next family gathering or (as I'm doin' after I type this up) a church fish fry or supper!

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CHA-CHA CAKE

1 17-ounce (2-layer) package of chocolate or chocolate fudge cake mix
    Water, eggs and oil as called for on cake mix package
    1 17-ounce tub chocolate fudge frosting
    1 17.5-ounce can cherry pie filling

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Mix and bake cake mix according to package directions; cool completely and leave in pan.

3) Spread chocolate fudge frosting evenly on cooled cake.

4) Spoon cherry pie filling evenly over frosting, leaving a band of chocolate approximately 2" wide all around the cake.

5) Serve immediately or chill if serving later in the day; refrigerate leftovers.

-----------

COCONUT CITRUS CONGA CAKE

1 17-ounce (2-layer) package lemon cake mix
    1 11-ounce can mandarin orange segments, drained; reserve juice
    Additional water, eggs and oil as called for on cake mix package
    1 stick (1/2 cup) stick margarine such as Imperial or Parkay
    1 16-ounce box (4 3/4 cups) powdered sugar
    1/3 cup lemon or lime juice (in the original cake, I used half lemon and half lime juice)
    10-15 drops yellow food coloring (enough to tint the frosting lemon yellow)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups flaked coconut

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Mix and bake cake mix as directed on package, using reserved mandarin orange liquid as part of the water. Cool completely in pan.

3) Meanwhile, cream margarine and powdered sugar in small bowl of electric mixer until blended.

4) Add lemon or lime juice and salt and beat on high speed until frosting is light and fluffy (it will be a bit thinner than a prepared frosting; if it's too thin, you may need more powdered sugar). Tint with food coloring.

5) Spread lemon frosting evenly over cooled cake.

6) Sprinkle coconut evenly over frosting; the frosting should be covered completely.

7) Arrange drained mandarin orange slices in an attractive pattern on top of the coconut.

8) Serve immediately; chill if serving later in the day; refrigerate letovers.

----------

Charlie

User Info Menu

Cool Rock'n the Stoves AND Rock'n the Drums!

If you like "shootin' at some food," you'll find this stew is right on target! This comes from my nephew Kevin, who's a guitar man--and a darn good cross-bow shooter! (just gotta convince him bongos are an integral part of country music today, that's all! )

KEVIN'S MEXICAN BLACK BEAN STEW

2 pounds cubed stew meat (venison, beef or pork--Kevin likes venison)
    1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
    1 16-ounce can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
    1 onion, sliced julienne-style
    1 cup hot cooked rice (prepared per package instructions)
    1 10 3/4-ounce can condensed tomato soup (prepared with water per instructions on can)
    1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin (or to taste; Kevin says "I like a LOT.")
    1 tablespoon dried cilantro
    2 tablespoons salt (or to taste)

1) In Dutch oven over medium heat, brown meat and onions with cumin, cilantro and salt until onions are clear (do not overcook).

2) Add black beans, corn, prepared rice and prepared tomato soup; stir to combine and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until stew thickens.

3) Serves "a family of 5," according to Kevin (if it lasts that long!)...

Charlie