Thread: Vudu Guru

User Info Menu

Default Vudu Guru

I'm not actually in this band anymore but there are some recordings which I think sound quite good on Myspace.

Its weird and certainly won't be to everyone's taste but its always nice to hear any kind of opinion/feedback.

www.myspace.com/vuduguru
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

I like it. Interesting stuff Yom.

User Info Menu

Cool Vudu Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    I'm not actually in this band anymore but there are some recordings which I think sound quite good on Myspace.

Its weird and certainly won't be to everyone's taste but its always nice to hear any kind of opinion/feedback.

www.myspace.com/vuduguru
    My tastes are a bit weirder than most! Seriously, it is off-the-wall, but Dave (the percussionist) is cookin' those congas like few people I've heard lately...

Sounds like Ravi Shankar on too much caffeine, but to me, it sounds great...

and speakin' of Afro-Cuban music, you take the cowbell and I'll start bangin' my bongos and congas, bro'...you're on!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cheers guys!

It was definitely good fun while it lasted but then the guitarist left to focus on his other band and I didn't really want to stick around without the original line up. It was only ever a bit of fun while we're at Uni

Ravi Shankar on too much caffeine! I love that description Bongobro!

Dave is a very good percussionist, he'll happily jam along to anything! Hand drumming is something I'll never be good at I don't think but I love playing kit along with a Djembe or Congas. Loads of fun!
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Cool Vudu Guru

Ahh, another convert to the Michael Barker style...

(Michael Parker of the John Butler trio plays set and conga simultaneously)

as shown here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipo9SXBDLw0

that makes two of us, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

im glad you like the JBT now bongo bro

User Info Menu

Cool Vudu Guru

and why not, man...you're the one who turned me on to the JBT!

Charlie

User Info Menu

a full on freakfest....good stuff.

User Info Menu

Cool Vudu Guru

gonna try that yourself, funkster?

Charlie

User Info Menu

i like stuff that is open minded and experimental. there is a real lack of those kinds of musicians around here.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vudu Guru

Haven't checked this in ages, but thanks Funk!

'Freakfest' brought a smile to my face :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i like stuff that is open minded and experimental. there is a real lack of those kinds of musicians around here.
    Yom, I liked it very much! It's a very cool sound! Thanks for posting that.

BTW, Funky, there is at least one experimental musician around here, because every time I get behind the kit is an experiment! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB!

User Info Menu

hey Yom have you studied the tabla by any chance?

User Info Menu

Alas I am ashamed to admit that those tabla sounds are samples

I have a Roland SPD-20 and the tablas on the song 'Brain Vibe' are actually taken from the samples on this unit.

I would love to study tablas at some point but I'm told that it takes some serious commitment and time to be able to play them well, the technique is very difficult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    Alas I am ashamed to admit that those tabla sounds are samples

I have a Roland SPD-20 and the tablas on the song 'Brain Vibe' are actually taken from the samples on this unit.

I would love to study tablas at some point but I'm told that it takes some serious commitment and time to be able to play them well, the technique is very difficult.
    I wondered how you came up with those patterns you could just copy them onto your kit play and not use the tabla sequence could be interesting. Went to a clininc some years back and was given a real eye opener into the tabla and time frames around them . its all good buddy.
    nice stuff with the band by the way. dare to be different.

User Info Menu

Likw wWow man! Trippy. When I first read the title I thought you were talking about Hoodoo Gurus.

User Info Menu

Man those are really good. The last one could be a soundtrack.

Enjoyed the uniqueness of each song.

I really enjoyed the drumming!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm diggin the sounds of Vudu Guru big time!
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!!

Bish, that last song sounds to me like it could be in The Matrix or something :-P