Thread: Could use some advice

User Info Menu

Default Could use some advice

Hey everyone.

I was hoping that I could get some input from some users if it isn't too much trouble.

I'm wanting to purchase a Drum Mic' Kit, but I'm stumped on which one I should buy. I have a budget limit, and I don't think it can exceed 200-300 dollars. I've been drumming for just about 9 years, and the only recording I've done, was through a single microphone . I've never used Mic's for live shows either. Which is a bit sad, but what can you do.

Anyways, I'm looking at This CAD Pro-7. From the reviews, it seems like a decent place to start, but at the same time, I don't really want to get something that I may have to replace in 1+ year...

This Nady DMK-7 Also seemed alright, but it doesn't look like it comes with clamps for the toms/snare drum Mic's.

I'm trying to find a good kit to start with, that won't cost me too much. I also have a decent amount of knowledge in Mixing and Post-Processing Audio, so I'm not very worried about the recording/mixing process.

I'm aware of a basic set-up, 2 over head condensers, 4 tom/snare Mic's.

The other thing that will most likely cause problems with this recording process, would be the room that my drums are in. It's a "home-studio" if you will, but not exactly a studio. A room dedicated to musical instruments would fit it better. Hardwood flooring, mirror sliding door to a closet, 4 windows (dual pane)... So echo is an issue.

I'm 99% sure this is going to significantly add some bad sound to the recording.. so any advice on that?

One final thing, looking to change my bass drum batter head. What would be a good muffler system head? I'm leaning toward the Evans EMAD series, but not sure if their would be something better than that.

All in all, I'd appreciate anyone's time in reading and trying to answer even one of my huge number of questions

Thanks!
    -AC

User Info Menu

Hi AC, and welcome to Drum Chat.

I have the Cad Pro-7 mics, and they seem pretty good overall, although I know you can go with higher quality mics. I'm fairly new to the mic'ing process, but I am confident that these mics are getting me a pretty decent sound.

Yes, the room will present problems with sound bouncing around. I am dealing with that issue myself. I read that pointing the kit toward a couch, or something that can absorb sound will help with reflected sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

look at Pdplayer video it the CAD Pro-7 he got and listen to the sound

i think it pretty good

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome and comments Pastor_Bob

Riouel, Thanks for the comment.

I went ahead and got them. Be here in a few days, so hopefully they'll be all good.

Thanks again.
    -AC

User Info Menu

Either set up would have been fine - since you got one already - the (slight) disadvantage to the drum clamps is that vibration (which equates to sound in a mic) can pose problems - generally speaking "pro" level setups try to have mics on seperate stands and mounting systems that won't be effected by the vibration through the kit and toms. BUT that being said - is a minor issue, I think ususally reserved for high-end recording equipment.

As far as your kick head goes - I've heard good things about the EMAD, but my personaly fav is the Remo Powersonic. It has just an amzing abilty of flexibility options, especially as it comes with a removable dempening device, in addition to the built-in dampening abilities - clip-on, or clip-off depending on your sound na duse. so easy. http://www.remo.com/portal/news/index.html?id=38

Finally - your room. Not much you can do - put up blankets over the most reflective surfaces and have your kit on a blanket or mat. The other thing you can do is position your over head (ambient) mics away from the kit itself- this is actually how allot of recording is done - gives the kit a bigger room sound. You'd be surpirsed at how often drums are recorded in lounge rooms and things even for CD pro level stuff. I say experiment with differne tmic postionings, and mix settings. You can usually mix out allot of echo and reverb effects just my controlling the lower frequency settings and gain controls.

Hope that helped.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?