Thread: multile holes in the bass reso

User Info Menu

Default multile holes in the bass reso

what the pourpous of haveing two or three holes, i know any hole larger tha 6" is like haveing no head at all or so they say so what about mulltiple holes?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I never seen multiple holes on bass reso. Usually only one hole. Surely it would have something to do with sound
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Yea, most likely to project sound or let air out quicker without using internal muffling. The mohawk drummer guy from RAGE has two portholes in each bass.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I was tinking the other day if it would be possible to have say a 4 inch circle on the head made of severeral small holes (approx the size a paper punch makes. The head would keeps its tensile integrity but allow a jet stream for placing a mic. What do you think

all the best...

User Info Menu

KG, I remember reading an article that gave a specific formula for figuring the proper size of the hole in the resonant head, including how to figure the size of multiple holes, all the way down to the sizes you are taking about. If I can find it again, I post the link here.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ive seen travis barker with two or three all the time. and jj has three in each bass. i think it could be for the air to get out faster kinda like how if you pour milk and you dont allow air in while the milk goes out it pours in spurts? but im just gessing.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

It dries out the bass drum sound (less boomy) similar to sounds they were getting in the seventies without reso heads at all or 12" holes cut in them. Really with EQ and big sound systems it doesn't matter in those situations you can make a bass drum sound however you want anyway. It increases the attack sound of the drum to accecntuate double bass patterns. That sound seems to be the rage in punk and heavy metal music.

User Info Menu

oh cool thanks btd

User Info Menu

I prefer the nice richness of tone of having a compltelt holeless head, But have a holed one on hand hould I be in a miking situayion. BTW I play an 18" which is pretty small and has a sound more akin to a deep floor tom.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Sorry, my typing is really sucking today!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a 4" hole in my reso head but DW's comes with small holes about 1/2" to 3/4" in size all the way around the outer perimiter of the reso head but the hole in mine adds punch and a little more volume for non micing situations which I do alot of