COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

My kit is a Tama Rockstar Custom and I'm still using the Rockstar Snare. Its a great snare if you put a good head on it and tune it well.

I think I'm going to upgrade to a Starclassic G Maple soon though

As for the materials, as far as I'm aware mine is a 9mm shell, 7 plies of Phillippine Mahogany and 1 inner ply of basswood. That is from memory though...

Not sure about the metal rims or the age though I'm afraid. When were Rockstars replaced does anyone know? A few years back?
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama" Rockstar" Snare Drum

I know you like your aquarians, but I got ahold of a good Remo Powerstroke head that gives a good sound and feel to it. And for the aging, you can go to the Tama website and identify it there.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Phrogge,

Can you give me a little more descriptive info? What metal does it look like? Shape of the badge? Shape of the lugs? Die cast hoops or triple flanged? I know you have trouble with posting pics, but that would be the biggest help. Rockstars have been made on and off. If it's a metal snare, then I believe it's an older Rockstar snare. Probably early to mid-90's.

Does it look like the snares in these pics? http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...t_id=105&now=1

Or closer to these? http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar..._id=139&now=13 Particularly bottom right.

With a little more info I might be able to place it.
    Last edited by kaosotis; 06-20-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Love those old kits. I had a 5 piece swingstar kit in the mid 80s with the metal rockstar snare. ah, bring back the memories. Now that I have a small snare collection I hate that I sold it. oh, well.

User Info Menu

Phrogge,

Is that the Tama Rockstar snare you were asking about in the pics in the other thread? That's definitely a late 80's to early 90's snare from a Rockstar kit. Model #'s are either RT106 or RS106 although it's hard to find much on them. If it's a 10 lug I think it's a RS116. Rob Mandelbaum is the guy for more info. He's the Tama master, I'm just the student!

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...t_id=95&now=15 might give you more info. Look in the chart.

Hope that helps.

P.S. - Posted the same in the band thread in case P looks there.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

an't help you identify it unfortunately, but last night at a college gig, I used a Tama Rockstar set, and I have to say, I loved the whole kit. The sanre sounded awesome too, has a real nice tone to it, but had that kind of "metal" sound, which was good for me playing Metallica The sanre had an Ambo over a stock head.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks