Thread: Oil in Drumheads?

User Info Menu

Default Oil in Drumheads?

i've always wondered if it's really oil inbetween a 2 ply head (like pinstripes or emporers). i've heard industry people say that it's not but it sure looks like oil. does anyone know or has anyone ever taken it apart to see?
    max

User Info Menu

I think it has to do with the way the light refracts. Somewhat like a prism making rainbows. I have taken apart a dualply drum head. Completly dry.

User Info Menu

I've heard that too, though I've never taken one apart like you have. I still find it hard to believe. I mean when you see oil on the road, it has that same multi-color look. So one would think that there's some oil in there to decrease friction or something.

Oh well...

User Info Menu

the truth shall never be revealed!!
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

I beleave it's a VERY thin "layer" of oil in the hydrolic heads.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

What would oil do anyway?

User Info Menu

i think they are referring to the crazy rainbow color in plastic heads. ugh my toms on my old set are all warped.
    its gross and i get a huge dose of that oil-y look
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

The oil is just another added dampening part of the head. Takes all overtones out of the drum. There nice if you mic up your drums all the time. If you do not mic your drums, then stick with 2 ply or ebony at the most. You need some overtones to cut thru the mix.

User Info Menu

Evans hydrolic heads have oil in between the plys they claim. I don't know for sure. I do know the bass heads sound fantastic! You don't have to use pillows or blankets to get rid of overtones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baw_Drummer
    the truth shall never be revealed!!
    Besides... how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

User Info Menu

Default Oil in drumheads?

I played Evans Hydraulics on an old Slingerland set in the late '80s and early '90's. There was indeed a small amount of what looked like mineral oil between the two plies, and it was supposed to cut down on the "ring" sounds you sometimes get when you play with rock sticks (5B's, for example). To me, they had a great deep sound, but there wasn't a whole lot of demand for them when I bought mine...may have been a marketing gimmick since you don't hear of them anymore....

Keep the beat goin'!

User Info Menu

I remember those hydraulic heads!!!! You could get red or blue. I think I stil have one 8 or 10" red one that a friend gave me. They weren't a gimmick, trends come and go - that's all. They were more popular in the mid 80's. I almost put a blue set on my blue Slingerlands...

User Info Menu

I still see blue ones for sale all over the place. They look pretty cool 'till you hit them a few times.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Evans still make them in clear or blue. I am thinking of trying them but worry they may take away too much of the natural drum sound. If you were miking up a kit all the time they would be great.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

I use Evans Hydraulics and absolutely love 'em. The is indeed a thin layer of clear oil between the ply's. Not only does this give them a deeper sound, but they are tough as crap. I hit really hard and have had mine a year with no dents, only scuff marks. They do take a little of the ring out without having to use zero rings. (although sometimes I still do, it just depends on what I'm playing). Great heads.

User Info Menu

Cool Oil in drumheads?

Yeah, DSD, you got that right--those Evans heads were tougher than... and they sounded tougher than...

'nuff said...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

most people seem to buy remo pinstripes these days but i love the evans heads ....i`m now looking to replace mine any recomendations ???

dave

User Info Menu

Evnas Ec2 (edge control 2) are nice, I want to try weatherkings though.

User Info Menu

ive got evans EC2 on my low end toms and my bass drumm but one ply remo skins on my other toms and sadly no plys on my cymbals... XD
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I use Pinstripes on my concert toms and a powerstroke# on my snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    I played Evans Hydraulics on an old Slingerland set in the late '80s and early '90's. There was indeed a small amount of what looked like mineral oil between the two plies, and it was supposed to cut down on the "ring" sounds you sometimes get when you play with rock sticks (5B's, for example). To me, they had a great deep sound, but there wasn't a whole lot of demand for them when I bought mine...may have been a marketing gimmick since you don't hear of them anymore....

Keep the beat goin'!
    The Evans hydraulics are still around. I have a set of them that I use when I'm playing the heavier rock/metal stuff, but most of the time I use the G2 coated heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumvistator
    I think it has to do with the way the light refracts. Somewhat like a prism making rainbows. I have taken apart a dualply drum head. Completly dry.

According to Roy Burns of Aquarian, this is caused by trapped air where a 2 ply drum head has separated, and it reflects the light...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.