Thread: Yamaha Steve Gadd set

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Steve Gadd set

Hello!
    I have the opportunity to get hold of this beautiful 6 piece set. (only 100 produced)
    Anyone with experiences reg. this set? I know the specifications, but never talked to "an owner". Thanx

User Info Menu

I'm not the right guy to respond to this, but I do want to say welcome to Drum Chat Norwegian. I will also assure you that more experienced folks will come along and help you out.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

if its limited you could prolly buy it wait two years and sell it twice what you payed for it.... If i had the money i would get in on it. With the right heads you could make it sound sweet.

But i dont know anything about this kit sorry.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

What Stevo said. Except I wouldn't sell it.

User Info Menu

The drum manager at the store is actually surprised no one has bought it yet, been in the shop app one year. He would like to buy it himself... But it is high-priced, and that exludes of course alot of eager Gadd-fans and others.. :-) But I like the feeling of owning a rare set wich will increase in value. Hmmm... and I agree, Roger, I don't look at it as an investement just to make money by selling it. (First my Pearl MMX 5-pc must be sold, anyway)
    Thanx, all, and pastor Bob for welcoming me!

User Info Menu

hm i wouldnt sell it either... i would hold it for way more years if i wanted to make a fair wack off it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

A fair whack, 10-20 years would get you heaps, 30-50 years would make it vintage and such even more money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    Hello!
    I have the opportunity to get hold of this beautiful 6 piece set. (only 100 produced)
    Anyone with experiences reg. this set? I know the specifications, but never talked to "an owner". Thanx
    Only 50 produced actually, I have a yamaha 9000 recording custom its 23 years old and its hot red colour, its all birch shell and matching 6.5" birch snare. I think the new gadd custom kit is maple bass drum and birch toms ?
    Im never selling this kit, Ive got it in my will its going to my nephew in england, he's 5 and he has a dtexporer right now, is he gonna be smiling when I die. heheheh. Oh I recommend remo pinstripes on the toms, the 10" tom is a cracker, evans58,1000 on the snare, never broken any item on this kit and it has been on some journeys, only thing I dont like is the floor tom , ive played with different heads and tuning but its hard work to make is sing. some toms are just like that I guess. how much for the Gadd kit may I ask?

User Info Menu

Correct, it's maple bassdrum and birch toms.Aluminium snare. And I can understand your nephew is longing for you retirement... :-) Reg the price I saw the retail price was app 9800 USD. But often I see "special pricing with 5-20% off. Of course there will be a discussion how much i will pay if my MMX is part of the payment. And hardware, pedal etc....

User Info Menu

Correct, it's maple bassdrum and birch toms.Aluminium snare. And I can understand your nephew is longing for you retirement... :-) Reg the price I saw the retail price was app 9800 USD. But often I see "special pricing with 5-20% off. Of course there will be a discussion how much i will pay if my MMX is part of the payment. And hardware, pedal etc....
    wowsa that is pricey.

User Info Menu

I wonder if Yamaha allowed a Ludwig supra 400 to be included because I know that is what he used for years to record with. I am just kidding but that would be a cool kit, I am assuming the color of it is black right? It seems a bit pricey though for no more custom than it is. Gadd isn't much of a gear freak. He pretty much would play what was available and make it sound amazing. But really he is fairly unassuming when it comes to his drum kits. I had the chance to meet and visit with him for a time because when he came through on the Zildjian tour the guy at the drum shop where I buy all my stuff hooked me up and I met him and hung out for a few minutes before the official meet and greet where he was to sign autographs and such. He is an extremally nice and down to earth guy. I felt like he was truly humbled by all of the attention that he gets.

User Info Menu

You confirm the impression I've got; he is a down to earth, nice and likeable man. Suppose thats the reason he is in his own division reg payment and being "most wanted drummer". And,yes, the set is black.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Steve Gadd set

Can't answer your question bro, but just wanted to say Welkommen to a fellow Norwegian!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

yeah...i'd love to have this kit......i'd buy it with a credit card and make the minimum payments for years....

I got this directly from Steve Gadd's website:

STEVE GADD'S CURRENT SET UP 2005:

1. Yamaha snare drum 14 x 5.5
    (Birch with wood Hoops)
    2. Yamaha small tom12 x 8
    3. Yamaha small tom 13 x 9
    4. Yamaha floor tom 14 x 12
    5. Yamaha floor tom 16 x 14
    6. Yamaha drum throne ds-840
    7. Zildjian hi-hat cymbals 14" K Session
    8. Zildjian crash cymbal
    o 18" K Constantinople
    9. Zildjian ride cymbal 18" K
    (Session Custom)
    10. Zildjian crash cymbal 16"
    (K Session Custom)
    11. Yamaha hi-hat stand hs-1000
    12. Yamaha 22" bass drum Maple
    20" depending on gig
    13. Yamaha double bass pedal dfp-9310

HEADS:

• Remo coated Power Stroke 3 on Snare batter
    • Pinstripes on tops of toms
    owith clear Ambassadors on bottoms
    • Pinstripe on Kick batter

*Depending on the gig, Steve often uses
    oa third crash on the left with rivets. Steve prefers birch tom-toms, maple bass drums.

Thats directly from Steve Gadd.......he's one of a kind. Its a great website, with lots of interesting facts. I find it funny that he leaves nothing to hide, explains all his secrets about sound, and tells how he does everything. Yet still he manages to drum in a way that hasnt been matched.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

A similar set is available at the local drum shop I visit. Steve Gadd Custom Yamaha set in the dark cherry finish, 5 pc. set. Birch kit for $1999 I believe.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    A similar set is available at the local drum shop I visit. Steve Gadd Custom Yamaha set in the dark cherry finish, 5 pc. set. Birch kit for $1999 I believe.
    buy it!!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hello!
    HOLA como estas NORWEGIAN * MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THAT sounds FANTASTIC * GO FOR IT AMIGO
    *THEN your Own cretive artistry will Journey within NEW DIMENSIONS *
    OF and within your OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTIC (STYLE)(ARTISTRY)
    Gracias

User Info Menu

Did you know Nicko Mcbrain's roadie was (is) called Steve Gadd!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Wowww....
    Steve Gadd set....If I got enough money, I will buy them....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX