Thread: Drum Shields--Do these work?

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Shields--Do these work?

I've gotten advice to get a drum shield so I can play my drums in my apartment, but I'm not quite sure if they work well, or what I need to surround as far as the floor, walls, ceiling....

I was also told I could "soundproof" the room---how expensive! Well, I'm lazy and I want to find something worthy that will let me play here, since there's a noise ordinance (so they say, hence my neighbor who likes his Bass to buzz my floor LOL)....

I also saw like, some kind of rubber sticks I think....I just need some advice on how I can keep the sound down so it doesn't disturb my neighbors around me. Or a garage at someone's house, pending you live in Charlotte...

User Info Menu

it wont work at all mate ...it`ll go straight through the floor

User Info Menu

A drum shield will do you no good. A cheap way to soundproof a room is to use donated mattresses on all the walls but, like Pinkfloyd said, it will go right through the floor. I would look into investing in an electronic kit if you are serious about playing. They hold their value pretty well (as long as you don't buy a cheap one) and you could sell it after you move to buy an acoustic!

Put the headphones on and pound away......
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Carpet pad will work. Just staple it to the walls & ceiling of your paractice room. You should be able to get some for free from your local flooring retailer since they recycle all of their pad scraps. Just ask if you can have some of their scraps out of the pad recycle bin. Use a hammer tacker to stick it to the walls. When you move out you can just patch the tiny holes with latex caulk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Carpet pad will work. Just staple it to the walls & ceiling of your paractice room. You should be able to get some for free from your local flooring retailer since they recycle all of their pad scraps. Just ask if you can have some of their scraps out of the pad recycle bin. Use a hammer tacker to stick it to the walls. When you move out you can just patch the tiny holes with latex caulk.

good idea but he`s in an upstairs apartment so it`ll go through the floor.The again it doesn`t say upstairs does it ....mmm

dave

User Info Menu

the best thing to do is prolly buy the pads that lay on your heads and cymbals that make the whole set quiet....they are very cheep...u might just want to check those out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    good idea but he`s in an upstairs apartment so it`ll go through the floor.The again it doesn`t say upstairs does it ....mmm

dave
    And to add, my landlady would have a total fit if she knew LOL. I had to wonder how the sound would deflect, but I guess it's 360 degrees with acoustic drums. DAMN.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    the best thing to do is prolly buy the pads that lay on your heads and cymbals that make the whole set quiet....they are very cheep...u might just want to check those out
    Will certainly do that. There's a good music store within reach around a couple corners where I'm at :D

Again, I'm curious about how "quiet". They're cheapass cymbals, not Zildjians, so I wouldn't mind at all sticking quiet pads on them. And the drum set is also cheap, so no matter, so long as I can get some good practice in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BangItHawd
    Will certainly do that. There's a good music store within reach around a couple corners where I'm at :D

Again, I'm curious about how "quiet". They're cheapass cymbals, not Zildjians, so I wouldn't mind at all sticking quiet pads on them. And the drum set is also cheap, so no matter, so long as I can get some good practice in.
    you don`t have to stick`em on you just ley them on and the cymbal ones go on the top of the stand .They will deaden the toms / snare completly !!!you are still gonna have the prob with your bass drum because there will still be a certain amount of sound coming from the beater hitting the pad/head .you could always remover the beater and just feel your way around ....or what about just taking the felt off the beater and letting the post hit the pad ....MAKE SURE IT`S A SOLID PAD or mabey a piece of thick card or wood .

User Info Menu

pinkfloyd's right, a drum sheild won't help whatsoever if your in an apartment, their best for concerts in large rooms that have echoes.

User Info Menu

Remember guys; if you use carpet, mattresses, and similar things... this can be a real fire trap. Although it helps with sound proofing, flame retardent soundproofing is advisable.

User Info Menu

Not sure what kind of carpet pad they use over seas, but the stuff we're installing here in the States is not particularly flamable. Ditto for nylon carpet. It will burn, as will drywall, but it's not like putting egg cartons on the wall. If you let a hot lamp get too close to it it will start to smolder, melt, and stink pretty quick. If you left home with a heat source on next to carpet you could come home to a pile of ashe, but the same thing is true for a set of curtains. Florescent (sp?) lights are the way to go anyway.

One thing about the rubber drum/cymbol pads: they totally change the action of the set.

User Info Menu

One thing about the rubber drum/cymbol pads: they totally change the action of the set.
    it doesn't matter how the set sounds, the pads are for practicing

User Info Menu

he means the feel of the heads and the rebound etc .,...and he`s right it does change it .but if thats the only way to play it`s a nescessary evil init .i bought a set ages ago and i haven`t put them on yet ..lol

dave

User Info Menu

ahhhhhhhh.................my mistake.

User Info Menu

by the way I'm watching prision break and it sucks

User Info Menu

I broke out of prison. It was pretty cool.

User Info Menu

i got some drum pad/silencers for my drum kit coz my parents were driving me crazy constantly complaining about how loud it is, i think they work pretty well! :0)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ami
    i got some drum pad/silencers for my drum kit coz my parents were driving me crazy constantly complaining about how loud it is, i think they work pretty well! :0)
    myea..i gotta practice pad...anytime else- i lock myself in my room and play anyway MUHAHAHAH! I win

User Info Menu

i live on a moutian...seriously so i have no sound complaints...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit