Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K Custom Hybrids

Shazane Guest

Default K Custom Hybrids

I'm thinking this is my next upgrade, over time I'll get about $1,000 of K Custom Hybrids, because they seem ridiculously versatile, I've wanted a crash-ride for awhile so why not a whole set of hybrid cymbals?

Anyone have any of these?

User Info Menu

I'm dying to get the 21" crash Ride in the K Range. But as far as the K Custom Hybrids go I thought they lacked something, like the rides were a little to crashy but they didn't crash well.

User Info Menu

I bought the 13" K Custom Hybrid Hi-Hats....i am not a professional as to what are the absolute best Hi-Hats....but from what i have heard on mine these past few months...these are the Bomb!!! I would love to hear opinions from others that know these hi-hats well....i got them because they where the only K Series Hats i could finds....picking are slim 'round here....
    Believe in yourself.....and you shall have no limits.

The Love of My Life??
    - DW PDP FS Natural/Charcoal Fade-4 Piece
    - Tama Metalworks Steel Snare 13'' x 6.5''
    - Zildjian K Custom 13.25" Hybrid Hi-Hats
    - Zildjian K Custom 16" Dark Crash
    - Zildjian K Custom 18'' Dark Crash
    - Zildjian K Custom 20" Dry Ride

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Zildjian K Custom Hybrid 13 1/4 Hi-Hats that arrive next week and will let you know what I think of them soon.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

i've only tapped around with some at the store. but i think they are pretty cool. i would like to gig test some.

Shazane Guest

They were invented by the jazz fusion drummer Akira Jimbo. I'd like to apply the concept to metal though.

User Info Menu

they just arrived this evening (so I haven't really played them much). i tapped on them for about 5 minutes.

initial reactions:

these hihats are more high pitched than I usually prefer. they are also the first pair of 13" hihats i've ever owned so I'm not used to the quickness / lightness / crispness yet. the chick sound is bright but relatively warm. the hybrid lathed section in the middle will take some time to learn how to encorporate. i really don't like the sound of these hihats when playing on them when they are closed tightly. when opening them up slightly they seem to sound best. when playing them wide open they are very light / thin / high pitched sounding which I'm not enjoying so far.

i think the 13" K custom dark hihats are the ones i should have picked up. i listened to them on the zildjian site a few minutes ago and they are more my speed. unless my gut reaction doesn't hold up, my guess is that i will sell these hihats in the next month or two.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

i love the chick these hi hats produce when using your foot but i don't like the sound of these hi hats closed when playing on them with sticks..... how weird is that?

i'm still thinking these hi hats are more novelty than anything else. perhaps i don't play the right genre's of music for these hats.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Maybe you would have been happier if they were 14" instead of 13". The larger diameter hats might have been a little lower in pitch due to he increased diameter. I had some 13' zildjian new beat years ago that were higher pitched for my taste then. I wish I had them now for some jazz stuff I have been playing lately. I think they would fit the bill now. But they didn't cut it for the rock music I was playing then.

User Info Menu

all the hi hats i've played up until these were 14". zildjian doesn't make these hi hats in a 14" size so we really can't test that idea. although i agree that the 13" 1/4" size definitely is a factor but the 13" dark hats sound much better to my ear. for awhile i thought that a majority of it is more a matter of the material / lathe process than the size. but the factor that just dawned on me is the thickness or should i say thinness of these hi hats. The outer lathed portion is super thin and thats probably whats doing it.

to give you background on the sound that I'm coming from, the highest pitched pair of hi hats i like by zildjian are the a custom mastersounds. i play those and a darker pair of 14" k customs when it comes to zildjian. i also really enjoy the sound of my paiste signature med light hats.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

finally starting to get the hang of these hi hats. I had been playing them up till today with my mmx maple snare tuned a bit low and throaty and they just weren't jiving. today i paired these hi hats with my 13" noble & cooley 150th anniversary black alloy snare and they are a match made in heaven. the higher pitch of the snare sounds way better with the higher pitch of the 13 1/4" hi hats.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Default Re: K Custom Hybrids

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    They were invented by the jazz fusion drummer Akira Jimbo. I'd like to apply the concept to metal though.
    great idea Shazane. cymbals that were designed for jazz actuallt make better cymbals than cymbals designed for metal K customs are better than rudes or Z customs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CostarricanDrummer View Post
    I bought the 13" K Custom Hybrid Hi-Hats....i am not a professional as to what are the absolute best Hi-Hats....but from what i have heard on mine these past few months...these are the Bomb!!! I would love to hear opinions from others that know these hi-hats well....i got them because they where the only K Series Hats i could finds....picking are slim 'round here....
    Aw baby!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

I'm thinking this is my next upgrade, over time I'll get about $1,000 of K Custom Hybrids, because they seem ridiculously versatile, I've wanted a crash-ride for awhile so why not a whole set of hybrid cymbals?

Anyone have any of these?
    HOLA COMO ESTAS SHAZANE*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) GO for it Mi amigo *Follow your DEEP CREATIVE ARTISTIC PASSIONATE ARTIST SOUL& MIND**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Just got the approval to post, so here goes. I bought a 20" K Custom Hybrid two weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. The dynamic range is pretty wide: Dark near the edge, and progressively brighter towards the bell. It crashes really well, and the bell cuts well too. I can go from crashing to 'riding' and the sounds don't bleed together much at all. Highly recommended cymbal.
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

14" Sabian AA Studio Hats
    16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash-brilliant finish
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Pork Pie Saddle (Purple on zebra stripe- so ugly no one will steal it!)

Sticks: Pro Mark 5A, Shira Kashi Oak

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
    Just got the approval to post, so here goes. I bought a 20" K Custom Hybrid two weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. The dynamic range is pretty wide: Dark near the edge, and progressively brighter towards the bell. It crashes really well, and the bell cuts well too. I can go from crashing to 'riding' and the sounds don't bleed together much at all. Highly recommended cymbal.
    Great UhOh - now let's see some pics of those beautiful Premiers!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I soooo miss my Ks! -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 12-08-2008 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

I had a set of the 13" hats and thought they were great. I was playing primarily funk and heavy groove stuff and they were pretty much the exact sound I was wanting. Very defined sticking and great sound control. I did a lot of rudiment stuff on them and the sound was crisp and clear as a bell.

User Info Menu

I'm going to post a reply in the "Show us your drums" thread...
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

User Info Menu

Welll...
    Gotta say K Custom hybrid series are one of the best line in Zildjian although I don't like it very much...

I've played with 16" Hybrid crash...
    Nice....Combining of bright and warm sound....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    Welll...
    Gotta say K Custom hybrid series are one of the best line in Zildjian although I don't like it very much...

I've played with 16" Hybrid crash...
    Nice....Combining of bright and warm sound....
    Very good description of the K hybrid sound totti! -Les

User Info Menu

Anyone have experience with the 17'' Hybrid crash?? How about 14'' Hats? I'm currently playing Sabian 14'' Studio AA hats, and although they sound good here at home, they don't quite cut through the mix in live situations.

18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

User Info Menu

K Hybrids were designed by Akira Jimbo!!??!?!?

I need some. Now.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I own a set of the 13" KCH hats, 20" KCH ride and the 17" KCH crash...I love them all.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

That is a bad @ss looking kit! Thanks for posting it.

I have the custom K hi-hats also. Awesome hats is all I have to say. You have to have deep pockets though. ( no pun intended )
    It never get's easier, you just go faster- Greg LeMond