• elvin jones

1 2.44%
  • vinnie paul

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: historys most over rated drummer

User Info Menu

Default historys most over rated drummer

the historys best drummer thread came up with a cool idea whos the most over rated, and why?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

oh shoot i forgot to put joey jordenson on the list

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Davie... with all due respect. I dont think this is a cool topic at all.
    I really think as a community of drummers we can find better things to do than critisize someone elses favorite player.

Just my opinion.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Thumbs up historys most over rated drummer

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post
    I really think as a community of drummers we can find better things to do than critisize someone elses favorite player.

Just my opinion.

Matt
    OLA como estas VegaDrummer * GREAT STATEMENT VERY COOL.
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

DD, I tend to agree with Matt. We're more about building each other up around here, and I would like to think that any drummer would be welcome here, and would receive the same treatment. I just think we should aspire to remain on the positive side. I alway taught my children that they should support each other (not they they always listened), because there would always be other people that would try to tear them down. Family should always build each other up, and our family should extend beyond the Drum Chat to all our drumming brethren, and sistren. IMHO.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post

Just my opinion.

Matt
    Agree wholehartedly!
    And whatsd more, ELVIN JONES on the list of OVERATED DRUMMERS!?!?!
    WHAT!?!

User Info Menu

...Although I agree with what has been said I voted for Lars.

User Info Menu

How did Elvin Jones make it onto a list like that...The Guy was a jazz legend?
    all the best...

User Info Menu

How sensitive we drummers are, If we are only allowed to express a positive opinion and not our true feelings then why are we here? My hero is buddy rich, he's the reason I started to learn the instrument, If a guy say's he does not like his playing then thats fine, thats just your opinion, I'm a big boy I can take it, in fact I would love to know what the persons reasons are.
    if a young kid gets into playing the drums because of Traviss Barker or tommy Lee then that is also great. They should also be able to handle any opinion regarding their hero though. After all its just an opinion. Free speech I say.

User Info Menu

Although I have decided against voting because I think there should be an 'other' option (I probably would have said Tre Cool, despite being a Green Day fan) I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with firing up some friendly debate.

So long as people's arguments don't run along the lines of "Oh, they're rubbish because... Because... THEY ARE"

Its always interesting to challenge views and have yours challenged so long as it is in a respectful manner.

That's what I think anyway.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Hey drummer Davie, lets start the respectful banter and please tell me why you included Dave weckle in your list. I like his playing in fact he is one of my Favourites. Reasons are, I like his drum lessons, his displacement of time and I believe he has let me improve my old traditional style of play to a more modern approach. Is it his hair? is he too busy? let me know I am very interested to know.

Shazane Guest

PHIL COLLINS is, though he isn't on the list.

Lars Ulrich I have no problem with, he makes the simplest beats incredibly powerful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    How sensitive we drummers are, If we are only allowed to express a positive opinion and not our true feelings then why are we here? My hero is buddy rich, he's the reason I started to learn the instrument, If a guy say's he does not like his playing then thats fine, thats just your opinion, I'm a big boy I can take it, in fact I would love to know what the persons reasons are.
    if a young kid gets into playing the drums because of Traviss Barker or tommy Lee then that is also great. They should also be able to handle any opinion regarding their hero though. After all its just an opinion. Free speech I say.

I agree with you to an extent. However, I dont really see this topic as being anything more than a ignition switch.
    It will make people mad.

As for Weckle, its gotta be his hair. LOL

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone really takes all this too seriously, at least for me anyhow it is all in fun really
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-22-2008 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I would hope BTD, but I would also hate for one of the listed drummers to visit our site and see this thread. It does stay up for a very long time! And Drum Chat is getting a reputation as a supportive, and friendly place to come.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I would hope BTD, but I would also hate for one of the listed drummers to visit our site and see this thread. It does stay up for a very long time! And Drum Chat is getting a reputation as a supportive, and friendly place to come.
    Agree. When I started drumming I'm amazed how cohesive drummers are. Attending drum clinics the masters are ready to share their tricks of the trade to help out fellow drummers.

User Info Menu

Really though, I would think that should any drummer mentioned in the pole read this forum they would just laugh it off "all the way to the bank!!" I don't think that they need their egos fed by what we think. They are told they are the best by everyone around them and they become ammune to this type thing. Just look at all of the celebrties in the tabloids. It they took everything to heart that was written about them they would commit suicide.

I would agree this is probably not the best thread to have started, I still don't think that anyone really takes it that seriously.

Shazane Guest

Seriously though, why so much hate for Ulrich?

User Info Menu

No hate really, I would venture to say though that most of the drummers on this site that have been playing at a higher level and gigging for a number of years feel they can play at the same level that Lars is at, that is all. Lars is a good drummer and does what he does well. But is he someone that is overrated? I think so to some extent! I think of my drum hero's as playing at a level that I will never be able to attain, and who simply blow me away with their abilities. Lars had never done that for me.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    No hate really, I would venture to say though that most of the drummers on this site that have been playing at a higher level and gigging for a number of years feel they can play at the same level that Lars is at, that is all. Lars is a good drummer and does what he does well. But is he someone that is overrated? I think so to some extent! I think of my drum hero's as playing at a level that I will never be able to attain, and who simply blow me away with their abilities. Lars had never done that for me.
    Yes, I see. People on here seem to have just the opposite opinion on guitarists though... so much obsession on Jimmy Page and everyone who don't compare to people today in terms of technical skill, so it didn't make sense why they would vote a drummer in the same position overrated.

User Info Menu

I agree with you to a point, but the thing that we need to remember about Page is he inovated a lot of the stuff that other guitarist have taken to another level, same goes for Hendrix. It has been said of Stevie Ray Vaughn that he played more like Hendrix than any other guitarist has ever played. In my opinion he blew Hendrix away. I also read somewhere where Eric Clapton made the comment onetime that Eddie Van Halen was the most naturally talented Guitarist that he has ever met and could probably be the greatest guitarist in history if he would practise. Can you imagine playing like Eddie and not have to practise. I don't remember where I read that, but anyhow it is like sports figures, they are taking things to a whole new level. On another note to bad there is not perfromance enhancing drugs for drummers. I might be tempted!!

User Info Menu

Default sorry guys

hey i apologise i thought it could be interesting to see who people thought was overated i had no intention of ofending anyone and to be honest i do enjoy the work of most drummers on the list. if one of the moderators would please deleate this thread it would be greatly apriciated
    and again i apologise
    (oh and the reason the people on the list are on the list is because i got the list off a youtube vid.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    (oh and the reason the people on the list are on the list is because i got the list off a youtube vid.)
    So you didn't use you brain at all when making the list?
    You just said what someone said on youtube?
    Jeez.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    So you didn't use you brain at all when making the list?
    That is a bit ruff Vinny.

I personally dont like to "bag" any drummer. Drumming is an art form and I take my hat off to any drummer that has a "go". Drummers like Tommy Lee and Lars cant help that they ended up playing in two of the most influential bands ever. Motley Crue and Metallica changed the face of music. That is a fact.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

i think in the process of not trying to bag everyone out, we have severely bagged drummerdavie out.

He shouldn't of had to feel bad and apologise for this, it was just a bit of fun.