Thread: Muting/dampening

User Info Menu

Default Muting/dampening

hey guys, was just wondering what you think of the foam under the toms? i've got them all of mine, n i'm sure the tone of each drum is dampened slightly, but i don't like the sound of just the tom by itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can use on each tom instead?
    (the rev's drums from avenged sevenfold is what i'd ideally like my drums to sound like )
    Thanks for help guys

by the way i hope this is the right place to post

User Info Menu

yeah i have the remo tuning rings, they are plastic that go around the inner circumference of the head, but you can make them yourselves out of old drum heads, or you can buy some online

ThePloughman Guest

Um......... muting to sound like the Rev. I dunno who that is but heres my thoughts.

The recorded sound you hear........ probably used a microphone that cost at least 500 dollars, was made in a studio that might have charged 500 dollars an hour, the sound was sucked into a cable attached to a board routed through a gate, a compressor, an effects line, back to the board into the track mix, onto a digital or analogue storage device before it was again subjected to more compression, effects control, tweaking, and finally mastered onto a disk. ........ then copied, sold and now in your hands.

You have drums. forget the rev. Become yourself, your sound, the sound your drums are capable of producing. Unless you go out and buy the exact same kind of snare drum the Rev was using, chances are its not happening for you. And even with the exact size and model and good luck enough on the tuning to make it sound the same live..........its not going to sound exactly the same as the CD.

Be yourself, put on your favorite heads, open them drums up.... get them tuned up......... and play them. More foam, more dampening is not a substitute for learning how to tune your drums to sound good.

User Info Menu

moongels. I have found them to be the best product for this purpose. You can find them in most decent music stores. Although I wouldn't overuse any dampening. Otherwise, you end up with cardboard boxes. It seems as time goes by, the more I like the sound of drums and less muffling.

User Info Menu

alot of that 'ring' gets drowned out of the drums in a live situation anyway.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Um......... muting to sound like the Rev. I dunno who that is but heres my thoughts.

The recorded sound you hear........ probably used a microphone that cost at least 500 dollars, was made in a studio that might have charged 500 dollars an hour, the sound was sucked into a cable attached to a board routed through a gate, a compressor, an effects line, back to the board into the track mix, onto a digital or analogue storage device before it was again subjected to more compression, effects control, tweaking, and finally mastered onto a disk. ........ then copied, sold and now in your hands.

You have drums. forget the rev. Become yourself, your sound, the sound your drums are capable of producing. Unless you go out and buy the exact same kind of snare drum the Rev was using, chances are its not happening for you. And even with the exact size and model and good luck enough on the tuning to make it sound the same live..........its not going to sound exactly the same as the CD.

Be yourself, put on your favorite heads, open them drums up.... get them tuned up......... and play them. More foam, more dampening is not a substitute for learning how to tune your drums to sound good.

Ploughman, Those are my thoughts on this subject exactly. So many players want a particular sound and they don't realize how over processed drum sounds are anyhow when they are recorded. They spend all of their time frustrated wondering why they can't get their drums to sound like their hero's.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Muting/dampening

Yep, the longer I play, the less I like any kind of dampening. You need all those rings and overtones to be heard above the other music with any kind of quality sound, and the music covers them up anyway. The less dampening you can get away with, the better.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brian189 View Post
    moongels. I have found them to be the best product for this purpose. You can find them in most decent music stores. Although I wouldn't overuse any dampening. Otherwise, you end up with cardboard boxes. It seems as time goes by, the more I like the sound of drums and less muffling.

My thoughts exactly. I use them to when I play for an orchestra, they’re great. Especially if you want to take them on and off for different situations.

User Info Menu

I lieterally spent years wanting and wishing my drums to sound like someone's I listened to on a CD. It never happened. What did happen was that I learned how to look for and buy quality heads, how to tune them properly and find the right medium for a skossh of dampening when I needed it. The heads and tuning you will have to learn because your drums are different from mine. For that little bit more, I too, found Moon Gel and, I also learned that less of it is even better. I like the way it helps to lower the pitch of my snare, diminish excess resonance in my floor toms but, I never really liked it on my small tom. Isn't it funny how preferences can differ so much.

User Info Menu

Strange situation... Years ago we were practicing at our bass players house in a pretty small room, a study type room I guess. Anyway, my then set was kind of a monster and the small room was rediculous. On a fluke brain thrust, We took some light foam, Maybe about the consistancy of the foam you would replace a window AC unit filter with, maybe just a little thicker. Soooooo, We got the bright idea to line the inside of my toms with this foam. I have to say, I was floored by the sound. I'm not kidding. No such animal as moongel... This was probly 20 yrs ago, But, I remember thinking, Wow! This sounds fantastic! I don't know, maybe it was just the small room, etc. Even at that, head technology has come a long way now daze.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

It seems like there's a new thread on muffling every day. Does anyone here actually know what their drums sound like? Just playing, but seriously, there's a ton of these threads. There should be like a muffling sub-forum.

I just threw a bunch of those foam rings out. They came on a used set I bought. You might as well be playing practice pads.

Find the right heads (taking into consideration batter and reso combinations) and learn how to tune like a mofo. You won't need to waste your time and money on dampening stuff.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I have a set of O-rings, but I don't use them anymore. I find that as I've gotten better at tuning I no longer need them, and I like the sound of the drums better without them. I'm sure there are some situations like possibly when recording that they might be helpful.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.