Thread: question about nylon washers

User Info Menu

Default question about nylon washers

i have nylon washers on my set and i have noticed when you tune up your drums they seem to stretch pretty easy especialy on my snare can you guys tell me if this matters or whatt i can do to prevent it

ThePloughman Guest

How tightly are you turning them little screw thingys?

If this is the same kit youve posted about in the past as having just gotten a few months ago, and you have build issues...... I think perhaps your washers might be low grade. Soft.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 01-23-2008 at 09:05 PM.

User Info Menu

They are designed to crush slightly and hold the tension rods from backing off. If you have the rods so tight that they are deforming then there is a problem. You may have some that are to soft as ploughman mentioned or the are not thick enough to hold their shape. Mine on my kit are fairly thick and I have never experienced the problem you describe. They aren't cheap from the drum parts stores, I purchassed mine from a dedicated fastener shop. ( they sell bulk screws and washers to industrial business) I had them special order them for me for a third of the cost of buying them retail in a music shop.

User Info Menu

I have never even seen these things before? I get tension rods coming loose over time? If i brought some of these would it fix my problem???
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I have never even seen these things before? I get tension rods coming loose over time? If i brought some of these would it fix my problem???
    Stevo,

The nylon washers in question are for smoother turning of the tension rod during tuning. Sounds like you may need Lug Locks. Great for hard hitters and people that just want to maintain their tension/ tuning over time. Available at most drum stores.

http://www.luglock.com/luglock.htm

User Info Menu

Thanks for that neg thats really handy.

I think when i get my torque key delivered it dont matter so much thought because i will check the tension every time i play or second time etc etc.... But thanks for that. May come in handy later on
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters