Thread: What happens if I..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default What happens if I..

What happens if I use Paiste Cymbal cleaner to clean my Zildjians? Is it okay to use different brand name cleaners for Zildjian or is it strictly Zildjian cleaner for Zildjian cymbals?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool What happens if I...?

Andreeew, it would be no different than using a can of GM car polish on a Ford !

Cleaners are chemically pretty much the same, since--despite what Zildjian or Paiste would have you believe--the alloys used in cymbal-making vary little...

No matter what you use, man, follow the instructions, though...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

How does the cleaner know what cymbal it is being applied too? LOL

all cymbals are made basically of the same stuff (mostly copper)

all the best...

User Info Menu

You will

User Info Menu

I'm not sure of other manufacturers but Paiste's higher end cymbals are coated with a clear coat(polyurethane), their cymbal cleaner is advertised as being safe for their clear coat. Once it's destroyed cleanings often produce that famous green oxidation. I personally don't use anything on cymbals to clean them other than warm soapy water.

ThePloughman Guest

You will know the difference. Get the Zildjian stuff for the Zildjian cymbals or experiment with a cleaner of your choice. I only use Paiste Cleaner, Restorer and Protectorant on my cymbals....... That be two bottles of stuff........ And right now I can only find one of them to be sure of the name.

Groove Juice will remove your logos.
    zildjian cleaner will fade your logos...
    And the Paist stuff, I tread lightly with as well.

User Info Menu

Cool What happens if I...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    You will know the difference. Get the Zildjian stuff for the Zildjian cymbals or experiment with a cleaner of your choice. I only use Paiste Cleaner, Restorer and Protectorant on my cymbals....... That be two bottles of stuff........ And right now I can only find one of them to be sure of the name.

Groove Juice will remove your logos.
    zildjian cleaner will fade your logos...
    And the Paist stuff, I tread lightly with as well.
    Good point, Ploughman! As they say with detergents and laundry additives, "check in an inconspicuous spot first...if no change occurs, proceed as usual."

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The 2 bottles probably contain the exact same liquid from the exact same little factory in china just with a different label.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered cleaning my cymbals. Having an old, mouldy saxaphone is a good thing for a saxophanist, why not the same for us...?

User Info Menu

I agree with what Ploughman and negitive hava already stated. it isn't about the alloys it has to do with the coatings that each company applies.