Thread: Hand/frame drum advice.

User Info Menu

Default Hand/frame drum advice.

I'll start by giving a small introduction of myself. I'm a young hobbyist of music, and I've learned to play all kinds of different string and wind instruments, including 'normal' things like trumpets and piano, to 'weirder' things like psalteries and ocarinas. I've always been mildly intimidated by percussion and have never actively played a drum before, and didn't have a desire to, until I recently started investigating some different instruments. Regardless, it's a pleasure to meet you all.

I've become particularly interested in frame drums, especially the larger ones. I know next to nothing about drums in particular, except what would transfer over from other instruments, such as bigger drums would equal deeper sound, etc.

I've been offered a pretty decent deal on a Remo frame drum, 22", with a Fiberskyn head. It's not tuneable though.

I'm wondering if that drum is something I should be considering. I'm aware that a tuneable drum would be better, as even Fiberskyn heads will probably get "off" eventually, but I'm not even positive I'll want to pursue the instrument. I was hoping you guys could help me with some things, like if Fiberskyn is better or worse than natural material for heads, or if there was another drum I should look into.

Thanks guys, I hope to start enjoying drumming (however slowly I ease into it) and with help and practice, become a regular!

User Info Menu

Hi SPM! Welcome to Drum Chat! I'm a set player, so i would normally have to look into what you are talking about before I could say anything intelligent (or even something dumb LOL), be I've got to leave this morning and I won't be back for a week, so I'll have to say welcome, and leave it for the the rest to help you with this. Good to have you here, though!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

By all means go for the Fibreskin...superior to animal hide. Animal hide is favoured by the purists but the weather changes would be nothing but a huge nuisance to a beginner.
    all the best...

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat SPM. I'm not sure how many frame drummers there are in here but we'll sure help if we can. I do know there's some info here:

frame drum lessons

Maybe this page will offer some assistance. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Thanks for both the help and welcoming. I was considering Fiberskyn mostly for the reason that you said, kay-gee, because I often play outside.
    And I'm sure that link will come in handy, drummer!

User Info Menu

I only play on rare occasions to but i gotta confess how much i love real skin compared to fiber skins. I have plastic heads on my djembe and sounds nothing like the real thing. Once your a bit more experienced you should convert for the sound
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Hand/frame drum advice

Quote Originally Posted by SteampunkMutiny View Post
    I'll start by giving a small introduction of myself. I'm a young hobbyist of music, and I've learned to play all kinds of different string and wind instruments, including 'normal' things like trumpets and piano, to 'weirder' things like psalteries and ocarinas. I've always been mildly intimidated by percussion and have never actively played a drum before, and didn't have a desire to, until I recently started investigating some different instruments. Regardless, it's a pleasure to meet you all.

I've become particularly interested in frame drums, especially the larger ones. I know next to nothing about drums in particular, except what would transfer over from other instruments, such as bigger drums would equal deeper sound, etc.

I've been offered a pretty decent deal on a Remo frame drum, 22", with a Fiberskyn head. It's not tuneable though.

I'm wondering if that drum is something I should be considering. I'm aware that a tuneable drum would be better, as even Fiberskyn heads will probably get "off" eventually, but I'm not even positive I'll want to pursue the instrument. I was hoping you guys could help me with some things, like if Fiberskyn is better or worse than natural material for heads, or if there was another drum I should look into.

Thanks guys, I hope to start enjoying drumming (however slowly I ease into it) and with help and practice, become a regular!
    Hey, Steampunk, welcome aboard! Hate to answer your questions with more questions, but bear with me and I might be able to help answer yours...

Are you planning to play with another musician or musicians? If you're looking for something to play along with others, smaller hand drums like a doumek or a djembe might work for you...while a frame drum would be good for Irish-style music, like a bodhran, those two, as well as bongos or a conga drum, will give you some additional sounds to use. In fact, bongos, congas, doumbeks and djembes can fit almost anywhere...

Are you playing mainly indoors or outdoors? While skin heads give a "warmer" sound, the Fiberskyns resist temperature and humidity changes and, particularly with the 2s and 3s introduced lately, sound much better than the earlier ones...and tunable heads of either type are easier to handle than tacked-on heads.

Drum sounds depend on several factors; the size of the head, the depth of the drum itself, and the tension on the head. You might want to experiment with different drums (don't buy them just yet, just play them at a drum shop or check a buddy of yours who plays hand drums). You may prefer a deep, "bassy" sound or a sharper, higher-pitched tone; a lot of that also involves how you strike the drum with your hands or fingers...

Might also check DrumBum for other hand drum lessons, as well as frame drums...you can reach them all from drummer's link...

Glad you're exploring all kinds of sounds, man...and if you have questions, you'll find a lot of drummers who'll help ya out......have fun and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck