Thread: Orchestral Work

User Info Menu

Default Orchestral Work

Hey i have recently been accepted into an orchestra for percussion. Has anyone done this before that can give me some tips?

User Info Menu

Play in time!

Hi Markis...
    What type of orchestra?

User Info Menu

Well its a symphony orchestra i think. I can tell you the programme i've to learn consists of Latin, Classical, 20th Century and one is composed for an African Symphony. I was just wondering if anyone knows any tips cause i haven't much of a clue.

User Info Menu

Lol well thats probably the only thing i do knw to do.

Shazane Guest

I'd say... avoid blast beats.

User Info Menu

I don't have as much experience in an orchestra per se but I can give you a few tips based off of experience in the field:

1. See if you can get with their previous drummer and pick his brain.
    2. Do some serious listening. Find orchestra videos, etc. and study them.
    3. Hone up on the many different instruments you'll be asked to play. For example; if you've never played timpani, you'd better start learning.
    4. Hone up on your reading and following road maps. You'll often be asked to play one triangle hit on the 83rd bar. If you lose your place, you're screwed.

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck and congratulations!

User Info Menu

Thanks drummer

User Info Menu

Cool Orchestral Work

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441 View Post
    Well its a symphony orchestra i think. I can tell you the programme i've to learn consists of Latin, Classical, 20th Century and one is composed for an African Symphony. I was just wondering if anyone knows any tips cause i haven't much of a clue.
    If you have the playlist (uh, program!), you might hunt up recordings of the music being played...at least you'll have an idea of what you're going to play...must admit I dig the idea of playin' congas and bongos as part of a symphony, but I don't think it'll be sittin' in with Santana...

of course I see drummer's already alluded to it...

good to see ya back here, Markis...we've missed ya here too, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

you need alot of little percussion stuff. like tambourine, triangle, shaker, crash cymbals, suspended ride, ride cymbal mallets, claves,
    PENCIL=most important. to rite notes, cuts, and cues on the music
    have a pair of drumsticks, just incase you play snare, and have xylophone marimba, vibraphone and glock mallets. and have a hammer for the chimes. and make sure you play in time and don;'t get lost reading the music
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markis441 View Post
    Hey i have recently been accepted into an orchestra for percussion. Has anyone done this before that can give me some tips?
    I haven't played percussion with an orchestra but I have played trombone with a couple. I swore I would never do that again, count measures for 10 Minutes play a few bars count measures for a a while longer play a few bars, etc. I'm sure playing percussion will be a little more interesting.

The key to playing in an orchestra is being able to read the music and keep an eye on the conductor. Unlike playing rock where the tempo for the most part stays the same throughout the song, orchestral pieces have tempos that vary throughout, speeding up slowing down sometimes stopping, and restarting. That is why the guy (or gal) up front is so important in an orchestra, and why it's so important to watch him or her.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I'm in a symphonic orchestra myself, and I'm also in a pit orchestra for my school musical, I know a thing or two about the orchestra setting. Here's what I can advise:

1. Study the music with a metronome.
    2. Watch the director at all times.
    3. Learn how to make dynamics absolutely perfect.
    4. Tune the timpani just right.
    5. Just do your best.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Some real good info for you so far , the only other thing I would add is to just relax and have fun with it . Good luck .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Orchestral Work

Hey thanks for all your advice have done my first few concerts with them and all 3 have went great. Got a few surprises though and u were right jd09 you have to kee ur eye on the conducter. The amount of counting you do is pretty exhausting for the mind though.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Orchestral Work

Markis, glad to hear your orchestral work is going well! Keep us posted on your progress, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Orchestral Work

I HAVEEEEeeee.

All i can say is learn your sight reading...... because you get told what to play and generally dont get to decide whats best for the piece.

Also get on the timpany... there fun :>

Oh and also quiet means quiet... and loud means beat the snot out of whatever your playing :> Your the one that determins whats loud. If you play it loud everyone wont be scared to pipe up behind you and play :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters