Thread: Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Sticks

what brand sticks do you think work the best? Would buy them individually or bulk and whats the best way to get them if ur short on the cash.

Also sometimes to keep my sticks lasting longer, I add a little hockey tape to the shoulder. This way the sticks dont chip and dent as fast. Is this completely stupid for sound reasons or does it not matter.

User Info Menu

I've always had problems with my sticks chipping and getting whittled down at the shoulder, that's why I switched to Regal Tip Quantum 3000's. I've been using them for almost 20 years now. They're the same length and width as a 5B, but with a thicker neck. (Hardly any taper.) I use nylon tips. They last SO much longer. I also like the round ball for the tip.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

those look like great sticks, hopefully there not too expensive up here in the great white north. The only problem i have with the nylon tips is that the sticks that i used to use (Adrian Young Zildjian Nylons) the tips came off them. However the wider shoulder does sound very effective.

User Info Menu

You get what you pay for. If you buy cheap sticks, in most cases you'll get cheap sticks. They won't last. I use Vic Firth 5Bs. I use what feels good to me first and foremost. I don't hit as hard as the metal guys so I don't need the baseball bats, but I do still hit real hard when the energy of my band picks up. Mine get chewed up in the middle as a result of playing rim shots all night. If you're chewing them up on the shoulders, your cymbals may be too flat or you're not hitting correctly.

User Info Menu

I have vic firth nylon tips.. i like em.. lol
    I like nylon tips better cuz i think they bounce/roll a ltl better, and they sound a ltl better on the cymbal... but sometimes they leave marks on the cymbals but o well lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i use 5b`s ....but i go through a LOT of sticks .when i play the hats i use the shoulders so you can imagine thats the get whittled down to nothing pretty quick no matter what sort i get .so i get the cheapest ones i can find ...in bulk ..lol....new set every gig (or somtimes 2 or 3 pairs ..lol)

Dave

User Info Menu

thats sounds smart, i always thought of buying bulk really cheap bulk sounds smart. However the sticks just didnt seem to feel right or play right and i play with the shoulders on the hi hats too so i know what thats like to chip them up so bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    thats sounds smart, i always thought of buying bulk really cheap bulk sounds smart. However the sticks just didnt seem to feel right or play right and i play with the shoulders on the hi hats too so i know what thats like to chip them up so bad.
    the stagg ones are ok ....they are maple and break pretty quick but you can get`em pretty cheap .if you don`t like the handle put some stick tape round`em and they`ll feel like a pro stick thats what i do .depends how fussy you are about the weight of the stick .there`s loads of different cheap ones out there find one you lke and tape it !!

dave

User Info Menu

That's why I use the Regal Tip sticks that I talked about, earlier in this thread. I don't do ANY rim shots. My sticks get chewed up on the edge of the hi-hats. With the Regal Tip sticks, you're getting a name brand, 5B stick, with a beefed up shoulder. They last ALOT longer and feel GREAT. At least check them out at your music store... I did almost 20 years ago when I was having the same problem, and I've never regreted it.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I've been using Regal Tip 5B nylons forever. I can't imagine playing with another stick (though I've tried them all). I do use a 3B on the practice pad for the added weight.
    Last edited by Boo; 10-07-2006 at 11:15 PM.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

i guess i`ve just got used to the cheapies .i don`t really care when i break one cos they only cost me a pound a pair (dollar 70) .most of the time they`ll last me a good 3 - 4 gigs depends on the set ,they last me a good month at home for practice and like i say i`ve got the feel for them now so i guess i`m hooked on`em .I`ve always been a bit of a skintflint ..lol

dave

User Info Menu

tama 5B. ive had them for about two or three months so far.

User Info Menu

I like 5A.. I like my stix a ltl smaller... idk why i just like the smaller ones.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i play vifirth 5As i just got a pair of 5B to try em out thier a bit to much sitck for me cuz i have small hands

User Info Menu

those look like great sticks, hopefully there not too expensive up here in the great white north. The only problem i have with the nylon tips is that the sticks that i used to use (Adrian Young Zildjian Nylons) the tips came off them. However the wider shoulder does sound very effective.
    since youre up there in the North woods....

check out:

www.loscabosdrumsticks.com

User Info Menu

Vic Firth all the way- I highly recommend them
    to make sure that ur sticks are even- tap them both with ur finger nail the same way (same distance from ur ear) and make sure that they sound the same- the sticks bring out a sound themselves and can effect how even the sound of drums are
    Vic usually ends up doing a good job with having even sticks

I usually use 5A nonplastic tips for my style of play (Rock and Jazz mostly)
    and when im playing just snare or want a sharper sound on my symbols Ill use smaller plastic tips

Hope this helps..

User Info Menu

hey i have played with vic firth, promark,lugwid, and Zildjian!!! my favs are 7A Zildjian wood tip!!! they have a coating on the stick so it makes is really comfortable!!! but just try out tons of sticks at your music store and find out which ones fit you bect maybe you would would like a vic-firth 3B size stck or a Pormark 7A size stick! I don't know just pick whats best for you!!!
    Live Life The Way You Want To Live It!!!

-[;-)--CALEB N.!!!

User Info Menu

righteous...dont get me wrong..I like Vic Firth I use alot of different ones too..recently Ive been working with my Vater 5b's...not the best..but its alright..