Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Used Cymbals

What are your opinions on buying used cymbals?

User Info Menu

I think that often some real jewels can be found especially from people that are ingnorant to what they have. To non drummers they don't see anything but old tarnished bronze, and don't know what they are supposed to sound like. I bought and an old A zildjian 22" ride of a bass player that had someone give him some cymbals that didn't sell in a yard sale. That was the sweetist find i have ever ran across. The cymbal was late fifties early 60s according to what information I could find and it is the best ride cymbal I have heard. I cleaned it up and use it exclusively.

ThePloughman Guest

All my cymbals are used.
    All my new cymbals are used now.

Cymbals are a thing you need to exercise care when buying used. Abusive use is not always readily apparent. If ..... If I am in a store and looking at a used cymbal or if its from an individual and I can put the cymbal in my hands ......

Appearance. How is the over all appearance of the cymbal. Does it look cared for, does it look neglected? Has it been overly cleaned, improperly cleaned? Scrubbed with an SOS pad? (you would be surprised)
    1. I check the edges really good for any obvious nicks that you can feel. I dont rely totally on seeing them, I feel for them. I also check very carefully for hairline cracks on the edge. Check the edge for dents, defomations, and the cymbal itself for warp.
    2. Check the bell for dents, distortion of the mount hole, roundness of the hole, and keyhole.
    3. Check the bow of the cymbal by holding it at the edge with my thumb on top and my fingers splayed out underneath to support it. And work my way completely around the cymbal, to see if there are areas that overly flex, or flex in a different fashion from the rest of the cymbal. And while doing that, keep an eye on the lathing grooves for hairlines. ( I missed one once. Cymbal broke on its first hit)
    If it can pass those tests, then do I like it?

Sound. And this is a totally subjective opinion based criteria. Am I going to like it?

That said.......
    Ive bought a lot of used cymbals, for really great prices. In may, I sold a set of Zildjian K Customs, I really wish I could have kept. But ...... I wanted something else and just needed to finance that purchase. They were great cymbals and the guy at the store where I sold them dumped some major drool down his chin as he took each one out of the case, did an examination of each cymbal very much like I described above. And bought the whole lot for himself. Hats, splash, two crashes, two rides, .........800.00 They did not go on the floor. I got a good price, he got a complete set of cymbals that were sound matched to each other in tone, brightness, and quality, we were both happy. "These are some of the best K Customs Ive ever heard" ..... ya, I know.

I have bought cymbals from ebay, with great success. Pay close attention to the auction description, the pics, and the sellers rep. Ask questions. Get really specific in your questions. And do not ignore red flags where sellers are concerned, theres a lot of hacks on ebay.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

All I'd need is a picture of the cymbal with the seller holding a sign with my name written on it to be confident of an online purchase. Any other time I think a reliable cymbal could be judged by the eye and touch lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Used CymBals

[QUOTE=ThePloughman;67630]All my cymbals are used.
    All my new cymbals are used now.

Cymbals are a thing you need to exercise care when buying used. Abusive use is not always readily apparent. If ..... If I am in a store and looking at a used cymbal or if its from an individual and I can put the cymbal in my hands ......

Appearance. How is the over all appearance of the cymbal. Does it look cared for, does it look neglected? Has it been overly cleaned, improperly cleaned? Scrubbed with an SOS pad? (you would be surprised)
    1. I check the edges really good for any obvious nicks that you can feel. I dont rely totally on seeing them, I feel for them. I also check very carefully for hairline cracks on the edge. Check the edge for dents, defomations, and the cymbal itself for warp.
    2. Check the bell for dents, distortion of the mount hole, roundness of the hole, and keyhole.
    3. Check the bow of the cymbal by holding it at the edge with my thumb on top and my fingers splayed out underneath to support it. And work my way completely around the cymbal, to see if there are areas that overly flex, or flex in a different fashion from the rest of the cymbal. And while doing that, keep an eye on the lathing grooves for hairlines. ( I missed one once. Cymbal broke on its first hit)
    If it can pass those tests, then do I like it?

Sound. And this is a totally subjective opinion based criteria. Am I going to like it?

That said.......
    Ive bought a lot of used cymbals, for really great prices. In may, I sold a set of Zildjian K Customs, I really wish I could have kept. But ...... I wanted something else and just needed to finance that purchase. They were great cymbals and the guy at the store where I sold them dumped some major drool down his chin as he took each one out of the case, did an examination of each cymbal very much like I described above. And bought the whole lot for himself. Hats, splash, two crashes, two rides, .........800.00 They did not go on the floor. I got a good price, he got a complete set of cymbals that were sound matched to each other in tone, brightness, and quality, we were both happy. "These are some of the best K Customs Ive ever heard" ..... ya, I know.

I have bought cymbals from ebay, with great success. Pay close attention to the auction description, the pics, and the sellers rep. Ask questions. Get really specific in your questions. And do not ignore red flags where sellers are concerned, theres a lot of hacks on ebay.

Good luck.[/QUOTE

OLA como estas ThePloughman* Very Well Expressed ,Very deTailed with The Facts *Great job I love it *Gracias

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Used Cymbals

OLA como estas All DRUMMER ARTIST* I would definitely
    Use &(Buy used cymbals & Used Drums all percussion & Painos ,violins,
    Guitars ,bass, ,,Infact I acquired Used 1960's Ziljians 22"/18"/16"/14"Hi-hats
    They Sound Fantastic ,I used them with My 1964's Classic Ringo Starr Ludwig
    set,Which Sounds GREAT as well,What ever you Perferit it is ALL GREAT .
    GRACIAS*

User Info Menu

Very good advice Ploughman. All of my current cymbals are used. I bought some AAX's used. One had a small little ding on the egde. I was able to take a cloth and a small trim hammer and work it out mostly. Cleaned it up and it sounds great. Bought another off Ebay that is in great shape and sounds great. I later realized it has what I think you called a distorted center hole. The cymbal will not rotate like my others. Another I got off ebay the seller said and showed that it was keyholed and had two minute cracks in the bell. I bought it. Took a Dremel tool and enlarged the hole. Made a bushing to take up the difference in the stand stem and the cymbal sounds and works perfect. Lastly I bought a 22" ping ride off Craigslist. No complaints there. Perfect cymbal.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I appreciate those of you with the ability to puchase cymbals online especially used cymbals. i have to hear them first. If I can't heat them first someone would have to almost give them to me to get me to take the leap and purchase them online. but like I said earlier you can find some real gems in the pawn shops and yard sales if you are careful.

User Info Menu

The only reason I bought mine there was price. I was on a limited budget. Still am. But hey I figured if I got en and the were crap. I would just throw them back on ebay. Two of em I bought in person. I wish we had some decent pawn shops around here though.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

ThePloughman Guest

Needing to hear that certain cymbal, really depends on the cymbal. My K Customs were picked by me for their mix of brightness on the darkside. Each of them would be hard to replace in exactly that same sound. Paiste 2002, Signature, and even in the MK II line...... the sound bites on the website are so close to the cymbal you are going to receive, you can count on it. You play a Paiste 2002 18 Crash, and order one online...... I seriously doubt theres going to be a noticable difference.

User Info Menu

hellz yeah, i buy used cymbals. the used pile at guitar center is always a sure score. like ploughman said, inspect them carefully.

User Info Menu

I bought a 16" K Dark Crash on eBay for $125...great cymbal!! Then I bought an A Zildjian 21" Sweet ride on eBay for $50. I didn't read the description as thoroughly as I should have. There was a crack (split) in the lathing. What the hell...only $50. I drilled a small hole on either end of the crack. Guess what? It doesn't sound half bad. It's articulate and dark and compliments the 21" big band ride I use.

User Info Menu

All but my hihats I have bought used. I did my homework first and found the cymbals I wanted by playing them at GC, my local shops, or at gigs, then bought the ones that I liked off of Ebay and saved myself some serious cash. I do also like purchasing off of Craigslist because I can go and inspect it before I pay for it.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I don't like buying used cymbals specialy if i' m not able to check em.
    I only have one used cymbal, a Zanchi 15" crash which is good enough
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

used cymbals and used kits both rock as long as you inspect closely or can trust the seller's reputation and have a general idea of how what your buying sounds like.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Default Re: Used Cymbals

i got my cymbals used. just make sure they're in good condition.i got a b8 pro crash today. it was barely used, i got it for only $40.
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

i have a set of used k master sound hi hats, i got them by acedent. i asked my dad to use he ebay acount to buy me a set of zildjain k constantinople high hats or paiste 2002 and my dad being the vary nice man he is put bids on every zildjain k line of high hat on ebay (i think he bid on 40 items all at once) and just waited till we got one at the price i offered as a cap. i kinda like my k mastersounds, they work real well and they sound real nice, and even mesh with allmost all my other cymbals (the ones i want to be rid of unfortunatly) real well. but there in wonderfull condition. so i would buy used cymbals i would just make sure you know exactly what your getting. and personaly i wouldnt let my dad buy them for me, even though im truely gratefull he got such a nice pair of high hats for so cheep for me.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

used cymbals are okay if their in good condidtion

User Info Menu

try it before bring a stick that you owe whith you

you can find jewel or
    my point
    Last edited by drummer; 05-03-2008 at 09:39 PM.

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

i would never buy a cymbal with a crack in it.a crack disrupts the sound vibes that make up the original sound of the cymbal.i would personally just hold out so i could afford a new one. out of ten cymbals,i have two used Zildjian rides.both 22",one is a sizzler.both were given to me and are at least 30 years old. i have always bought new metal! that's just me.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

i'm going to fall in line with those who have to touch it and hear it before the purchase. instruments make sound and the sound is what should be the determining factor. i have to hear it with my own ears. u can alter/enhance the sound of most anything with modern recording. i just have to be there banging on it to make a choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    i just have to be there banging on it to make a choice.
    haahah, I like the way you think!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If you can hear it, see it, and carefully inspect it, and it's free of defects, and sounds good - I'll take the used cymbal over a new one to save some cash. If I came across a deal on a name brand higher end cymbal, for real cheap I might go for it sight unseen (but it would have to be a really great price). Even if I didn't like the sound, in most cases if you got it cheap enough you can get what you payed for it back on a trade in.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Agreed CD. I just bought an 18" Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash last night on eBay. The seller said it had only been played once, and pics looked real good. Of course, looks can be deceiving, so I researched the seller, and I found out that he bought an A Custom cymbal pack on an auction April 1st. My guess is that he either bought them, played them once, and was selling them, or he bought the cymbal pack to break it up and make some money by auctioning the cymbals individually (he's also selling a 16" A Custom Crash). I'll let you know how this turns out. BTW, I got it for $165 when it retails for $235.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

nice deal pb!