Thread: Remo Drumset questions...

User Info Menu

Default Remo Drumset questions...

Hi all. I recently bought my pdp mx shell pack. In my quest to get hardware and cymbals I came across a customer at my job who wants to get rid of his drumset.

Its a Remo drumset which I didnt know they even made. I looked at it and pretty much want to buy it.

Now my first question: I know its dumb to buy this after just buying my pdp, but I need the hardware and cymbals so hell might as well get another drumset too right? Anyway he asked for 700 bucks for the set. Im pretty sure this is worth it, but not having much knowlege of drums I figured Id look to you guys for a guestimate. It includes (mind you I forgot all the measurments of the different drums):

2 bass drums
    4 rack toms
    2 floor toms

the cymbals are zildjin. Not sure what line but I think their A's.

2 thin crashes
    1 sizzle ride
    15 inch hi hats
    1 cracked splash

stands for all the cymbals (one is a boom stand)
    pedals (forgot the brand but he said they were 100$ each)
    bunch of extras (sticks, some heads, cymbal case...)

The only problems are minor scratches and two missing lugs.

So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

They once made drums in the late 80's early 90's I think, not a 100% sure but it was around that point in time. No idea of what quality they were though.

User Info Menu

Dunno about the drums but they are zildjian A custom cymbals if they have the big A printed on them..... Which are pretty good before you head into the sig series.

For what works out 1000$ au... i think..... That sounds like a bargain even if the drums are a pile of snot. I would probably take that deal up.

You can always just sell the shells. or make new drums out of them.... There is always something you can do with spare shells.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I would love to own Remo. They are not wood per se, but a material of wood fibre and resin. Very durable shells with nice tone. Check out a jazz drummer named Jeff Hamilton if you can find him on you-tube or something. He plays and endorses Remo drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

great sounding kits usually, poor hardware though, is it the master touch or venwood series? not too sure on the price, Im sure a hard luck story and 600 fresh notes waved under his nose would probably seal the deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I would love to own Remo. They are not wood per se, but a material of wood fibre and resin. Very durable shells with nice tone. Check out a jazz drummer named Jeff Hamilton if you can find him on you-tube or something. He plays and endorses Remo drums.

all the best...
    I agree with kay-gee he just beat me in posting that they are some sort of wood fibreboard and resin kit . I have never personally seen a Remo kit, I just have read about them. But I did read positive things about the way they sound.

User Info Menu

I think there is a reason why most people don't know Remo made drumkits and why they no longer do.

Kind of like Pearl making their own cymbals.

They are ok, but there is more joy at sticking to producing what your really good at.

That said, if the cymbals are ok and not budget models, sounds like a good deal.

User Info Menu

I have a Remo floor tom that a friend gave me. I think it's 16x18, the sound is very punchy and loud (volume is extraordinary). Anyway, it sounds like a great deal so go for it after testing them out of course.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I've toured the Remo plant and watched the drums being made. It was fascinating.

Yoda, it sounds like it might be a good deal. Check the quality of the cymbals. You might just have a steal.

User Info Menu

My friend has an enforcer drum kit that is made by remo. we put new evans on em and they sound pretty good. I don't know much else about them.

User Info Menu

as long as its not the PTS kit. or maybe they should have called it the POS kit. i had some of those when i was 12yo. they were easily the worst drums i've seen. one of my heros ricky lawson used to endorse remo. his drums always sounded amazing.

User Info Menu

Drummer, remember your post on Best Kit & Why? I really thought you were being silly and speaking of Remo Drums.

For me, If I was in the market for cymbals and I had a $700.00 budget, I'd be getting $700.00 worth of whatever cymbals sounded best to my ears & that best suits my situation.

User Info Menu

To get an idea of the Remo sound, check out their percussion stuff when you are in the shop. For instance congas and bongo's etc... They are made from this "venwood" material. You'll notice a very rich boomy tone. Did I hear someone say that these drums are out of production? I really hope to score some, some day!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I played em a bit and like kay-gee said they have a very deep sound.

User Info Menu

Cool Remo Players I Have Known

Current And Past Remo Kit Drummers:
    Jeff Hamilton(Diana Krall)
    Terry Bozzio
    And The Incredible Mr Louie Bellson

Wow
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

wow if thats how there made up they sound really valuable. A Wood with such a varying density would create some awesome and really unique tones with that wood. Im all for getting that kit now dude go for it go go go :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters