Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoes?

User Info Menu

Default Shoes?

So my drum teacher quoted a famous drummer today and he said "drumming is 33% reading, 33% technique, 33% research and 1% a good pair of shoes" and he laughed and I was liked err..I kinda practice barefooted, is that ok? and he just shrugged. Its jut a habit of mine to practice barefooted, will that affect my development at all?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Yea, I hear it gives you planters warts.

I'm just kidding. Hey I used to play barefoot and look at me now.... I have warts covering both feet!

User Info Menu

Playing barefoot/sockless can be a great way to play and build foot/ankle strength. I used to myself but I'm rather aggressive on the drums and got tired of the "shock" to my feet. If it works for you go for it. If I remember correctly Chad Smith plays without shoes or he used to. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

I then changed my approach to using "special" drum shoes that were low tops and gave me ankle freedom. Low top Pumas work well for this. In time I saw Terry Bozzio pull off some sick footwork in high top Doc Martins. Once I saw this I realized I should be able to drum in what ever shoe I'm wearing. Blessings......

User Info Menu

Just do whatever is comfortable to you. I like the traction i get on the pedals with light, low-top shoes on like Chuck Taylors or Vans or something. I think my feet slip too much when i have just socks or barefeet. I knew a guy that would practice in heavy work boots because he thought it made his footspeed quicker. kinda like weight training i guess.

Ernie

User Info Menu

I play the drums with no shoes and socks on... it's so much more comfortable when i'm not wearin' shoes... and it's more easier hehe!
    BIANCA!!
    -----------
    My kit
    ------------

Set up like Ringo Starr's kit...
    22" bass drum
    Brand: DXP
    Cymbals: Zildjian ZBT Ride, DXP hi-hats and Crash.
    Snare: 14 x 6
    Tom Tom: 12 x 11
    Floor Tom: 16 x 16
    Hi-hats: 14" , Crash: 16", Ride: 18"

"Life Is What Happens When You're Busy Making Other Plans" - John lennon

User Info Menu

Every thing is more comfortable without shoes and socks...but then this is the Bahamas!

all the best...

lipstix-n-drumstix Guest

Playing barefoot is where it's at!

Although, I'll wear Vans slip-ons when I'm playing in a sketchy club with sticky floors...ewwww

User Info Menu

I noticed some drum shoes on ebay and they looked like beach shoes I have. I tried them and I like playing with them. They are made of a thin material and they are very lite. They also have a thin rubber bottom and I can feel the pedals better.

User Info Menu

I have stated in another thread on this subject that Steve Smith suggested using capizio Jazz dance shoes because the soles are so thin and flexible. I pretty much just wear whatever mostly skate shoes on casual gigs and dress loafers on more dressy occasions. I don't notice a restriction or grip problem with either shoe. Really there is no right or wrong wear or don't wear what ever you want.

User Info Menu

ive, been rockin' my adidas since run-dmc's raising hell album came out. i've seen these in the store and they are ultra light. i've been thinking of picking some up.

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/in...amily&colorId=

User Info Menu

Just have your feet be comfortable. Don't overthink it.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

I am not comfortable at all barefoot on the drums, a good pair of new balance shoes and i feel right at home on the pedals.

User Info Menu

I use a pair of slip-on slippers/mocassins, "fur" lined with a thin plastic sole. Keeps the grunge and crud from the floor of the clubs off my precious tootsies and still allows for me to feel the pedals. Used to use a pair of black Chuck Taylor hi-tops until I found the mocs.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Utsmelz View Post
    ... Don't overthink it.
    Amen brother! This applies to a lot of the threads in here.

User Info Menu

None or a pair of good ol' fashioned converse hi-tops with a Zildjian Sticker!

User Info Menu

anyone ever use wrestling shoes? that was pretty popular in the 80s.

User Info Menu

Sure Funky, and I wear drummer's shoes when I wrestle!! LOL

Actually, Neil Peart's "Der Trommler" video show him wearing what looks like wrestling shoes. I would imagine that they would give you all the sensitivity you could handle with good "grip" on the pedals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shoes?

i tried barefoot, i could manage a few songs and have to put shoes on, but what ever you do, dont do what i did and used newrocks for a couple of gigs... nice to play but my kick pedal became slightly.... broken

User Info Menu

HOLA Como estas' ALL ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMERS *
    I Wear & have been wearing my whole life *CAPEZIOS JAZZ TAP SHOES
    with the TAPS on them * But then I am A TAP JAZZ *SPANISH Flamenco
    DANCER* GRACIAS * What ever Works for The ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER is ALL GREAT** & Sometimes Bare FEET**(FOOTED)

User Info Menu

Once again Herb Utsmelz comes through with his dead pan logic. I find my self agreeing with him more often than not...scary!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

well, a couple days ago i actually bought the ADIDAS goodyear race car driving shoes. got em for 40 bux from the burlington coat factory. i wanted to try them when i saw them before, but they were 80 bux. i had really forgotten how much of a difference a good tight pair of shoes makes. they are feather light and have a very thin sole that really lets you connect with the pedals.
    i will never play in my big bulky ADIDAS shelltoes again.

sonor Guest

Converse all-star's all the way for me.

User Info Menu

I used to love suede Converse All-Stars when I was in high school! Welcome to Drum Chat Sonor!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

yep, i used to like the ol' chuck taylors. funny how shoes that were 10 bux and 30 years out of style in 1990, are back in fasion and 65 bux now...kinda like the checkered "spiccoli" style vans.