Thread: XinSen drums?

User Info Menu

Default XinSen drums?

Anybody ever hear of XinSen Industry & Trade Company drums? The make congas, bongos, djembes, ashikos, etc...

Pretty good looking drums, but I've never heard of them before. They are made in China, but they don't look like the usual junk that you would expect.

Here are a couple of pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

China drum companys are a dime a dozen. I say buy American (no matter what it costs) and support this great country.

User Info Menu

Usa...usa....usa....usa
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default XinSen drums?

OLA como estas 1 DRUM BUM ARTIST DRUMMER * I have never heard of them .I use LP..myself ..What ever works for the aRTIST
    Its all GREAT **?have you played on them??? GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Cool XinSen drums?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    China drum companys are a dime a dozen. I say buy American (no matter what it costs) and support this great country.
    Good question...trouble is, are there any American-made congas? LPs have been made in Thailand for years...Meinls come from Germany...I'm not sure where Gon Bops are made, but if they're dw, they could be built in the U. S. or Japan...

Of course, we buy "American" Fords and Mercurys built in Canada and Mexico and "Japanese" Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans and Subarus, "German" BMWs and Mercedes, and "Korean" Hyundais built in the U. S. A...just because the name is American doesn't mean it's made in the good ol' U. S. A...

To borrow from the Hyundai commercial, "think about it..."
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: XinSen drums?

I am living in China and thus have considerable experience with different Chinese brands (having tested many in the stores here). The brand I most commonly see in stores here is "Weiming". My personal experience is that these are not of particularly high quality, as are most of the other Chinese brands. The one exception is "Xinsen". I bought a pair about two years ago and would have to say they are quite good quality. They were recommended to me by a professional conga player from Cuba who was playing in a band here in Beijing at the time. He was in a store one day and had a play and was quite surprised by the quality. At the time he said it was the best Chinese made drum he had come across. Based on this I went out at bought them. Having said that, I would not put them on the same level as the high-end products from LP, Pearl, etc. But they are still a good sounding drum and would be competitive with the lower-end models from these companies. Of course it is always best to try out yourself, since different people like different things. But I for one am happy with mine, and would definitely recommend them to others looking for a reasonable sounding drum on a budget.

BTW - About two years ago I was at a musical instrument exhibition in Beijing and had the opportunity to meet the people from the Xinsen company. They were showing some of their newer products, including a "higher-end" product which uses a Remo Fibreskyn head. They were pretty nice.

User Info Menu

Welcome (欢迎) to DrumChat, begun!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Yes, welcome begun, and thank you for giving us the information on Xinsen!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

USA USA USA? Wait....What mass produced drums are made in the USA?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    USA USA USA? Wait....What mass produced drums are made in the USA?
    Not only are all "USA" major brand drums made in Thailand, most of them, regardless of the brand name on them, are made in the same factory out of the same Thai plywood with the same Thai buffalo skins. Some use Thai synthetic heads. Of course the US has some great custom craftsmen ($800 & up with a 1 year wait).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PsyAbi View Post
    Not only are all "USA" major brand drums made in Thailand, most of them, regardless of the brand name on them, are made in the same factory out of the same Thai plywood with the same Thai buffalo skins.
    Sad isn't it

User Info Menu

Very nice looking drums, I wonder what type of hide do they have on them? The hardware is identical to a brand called "Aruba Percussion" which I no longer see on Ebay, you could get 4 conga drums, a pair of bongos, stands and even bags for under $400...I almost bought em but I had to catch my self
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begun View Post
    I am living in China and thus have considerable experience with different Chinese brands (having tested many in the stores here). The brand I most commonly see in stores here is "Weiming". My personal experience is that these are not of particularly high quality, as are most of the other Chinese brands. The one exception is "Xinsen". I bought a pair about two years ago and would have to say they are quite good quality. They were recommended to me by a professional conga player from Cuba who was playing in a band here in Beijing at the time. He was in a store one day and had a play and was quite surprised by the quality. At the time he said it was the best Chinese made drum he had come across. Based on this I went out at bought them. Having said that, I would not put them on the same level as the high-end products from LP, Pearl, etc. But they are still a good sounding drum and would be competitive with the lower-end models from these companies. Of course it is always best to try out yourself, since different people like different things. But I for one am happy with mine, and would definitely recommend them to others looking for a reasonable sounding drum on a budget.

BTW - About two years ago I was at a musical instrument exhibition in Beijing and had the opportunity to meet the people from the Xinsen company. They were showing some of their newer products, including a "higher-end" product which uses a Remo Fibreskyn head. They were pretty nice.
    Welcome to DC, begun--and thank you for your analysis! It sounds to me that they could be comparable to the LP Aspire series--and that is no reflection on the LP Aspire, by the way!

Incidentally, you may want to share your experiences with your Xinsen congas. Take a look at the Drum Reviews thread in the OTHER DRUMMING TOPICS section (I've done a few hand drum reviews myself), and write up your review for your congas. It'd be great to read about your playin' those congas...

Again, welcome aboard, and keep slappin' those skins!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Anybody ever hear of XinSen Industry & Trade Company drums? The make congas, bongos, djembes, ashikos, etc...

Pretty good looking drums, but I've never heard of them before. They are made in China, but they don't look like the usual junk that you would expect.

Here are a couple of pics:
    yes i have seen these, as usual, China is grabbing market share. All Asian Made drums are the same materials and relative crude manufacturing compare to a complex Saxophone or accoustic Piano Forte !I have considered China in my product designs if & when I bring them to market. I am even part Chinese on my Fillipino side. But Politics has jaded me. I'd rather do it in the less developed Latin American countries that need the jobs & have the materials & skills but have been deprived of thier own music & drumming heritage in the market place. Would U buy a Latin Drum, made by Latin Americans !? What if we gave it a catchy name like " MO COWBELL R'US " Hows that translate in Castillano ?? lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begun View Post

Hmmm, only one post and its defending the Xinsen brand. Perhaps he works for them?