Thread: vibraphone replacement?

User Info Menu

Default vibraphone replacement?

ok i have to a show for my school. its the show Footloose. (if any1 has the broadway music for it, please send it to me.)

but there are alot of vibraphone parts in the musical. but my school doesn't own a vibraphone, and we cant afford to buy one any time soon. so what instrument should i use to replace the vibraphone? the marimba or bells? or any other suggestions?

the reason i say bells, even though its high pitch, i need it to sustain for +1 measures, and the marimba wont give me that sustain. but the marimba will give me that deeper tone i want. so i need suggestions.
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Well you could do what sounds better for the different vibraphone parts? For the longer sustain use bells but if you need the tone go marimba? I could ask my teacher at the high school monday if I remember to, but our school is lucky to have a crap load of percussion stuff, including a vibraphone.

User Info Menu

A marimba should sound more like a vibraphone than orchestra bells, have you tried doing a roll on the note to sustain it for the 1+ measure.
    Last edited by Church Drummer; 02-04-2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

yea thats wat i thought, but i need that metal sound. plus im using four mallet throughout the entire musical, so i cant really roll with four mallets
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Understand, if you have access to a synth keyboard, perhaps the best way to go would be using the marimba voice on a good keyboard synth. The mallet percussion voices on my Roland XP-10 are quite realistic. There is a mallet keyboard controller called the mallet Kat although cheaper than a real marimba it's still quite expensive. Best alternative may be to just play it on the piano keys.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

we do have access to a synth keyboard, but it has its own booklet and its own player, so im outta luck there, b/c he playing his own part. thats y i came here, to see if anyone had any suggestions
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

I would take the marimba, if its the instrument im thinking of, you dont really hear the actual part, but you hear the echo, and sound it makes, that vibrates everywhere else

But thats just me, i mean, its not like the audience will notice if you usse a vibra or a marimba

User Info Menu

I agree with Chaz under the circumstances the marimba is probably your best option.

User Info Menu

iight thx guys
    DRUMMERBOCK