Thread: Need help Choosing new drum set

User Info Menu

Default Need help Choosing new drum set

I have a ton of money saved up but i cant decide which drum set i should get. Im going to ask you guys opinion of which one you think is better.

Black Pearl

Or Red Mapex

I could really use your help im been going out of my mind trying to decide
    R.I.P. Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon's you were my favorite

User Info Menu

Or This one but im not to familiar with ddrum's so i dunno if there any good

User Info Menu

hmmm well pearls are ussualy said to be the best but that mapex looks pretty kick ***, and since you said your not fammilliar with ddrum i say the mapex cuz 2 bass drums dont beat 3 tom tomsif you have a double bass pedal, but thats just my oppinion
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

In a way, I agree with Metal-head as far as using a double pedal and you gain a tom, but... Their's something truly KICK*** about the look of two bass drums!!!!!!!!! Get two extra toms and you'll have a classic 9-piece.
    I would check each company to see if you can expand the kit down the road. (Do they have that series and color in other size toms. What about the black hardware on the Pearl?)
    I would DEFINITELY go for the Pearl kit!!! No doubt about it!!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

definatly the pearl

User Info Menu

when you have 2 bass drums, it sounds alot better then a double pedal on 1 drum because you don't have the second beater deading the previous hit....wut i plan to do when i can afford it is get 2 bass drums and then get a righty double pedal and a lefty double pedal then tune my bass drums to 1/5 apart....

User Info Menu

pearl ,pearl ,pearl ....the hardwear will be 1000000000000000000 times better than anything else you are going to get in the price range .i have a similar kit (lot older though) and it`s awesome .don`t look any further get the pearl !!!!

dave

User Info Menu

soooo.... you're thinkingggg....... wait, don't tell me................ Pearl??

User Info Menu

wow my thought on this just got shot down to hell ok yea go with the pearl, im sure these guys know better then me
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

I've used Pearl for 20 years. I've owned a few sets and love them. The drums sound great and the hardware is very tuff stuff.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

the mapex hardwear will be rubbish ...great drums ....rubbish hardwear ...why not build a custom kit ...?? will cost a little more than a grand but for a couple grand you could get a really nice custom kit .mabey save for a bit longer and get exactley what you need rather than but a kit you`re prolly gonna end up swapping after a while ,,,the only thing i DON`T like about that particular pearl kit is the black hardwear .(tom arms and rims)..looks mank in my opinion ...shiny shiny all the way. definatley looks better in wine red (click on the black version) but still needs chrome rims !!!!

dave
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 09-22-2006 at 04:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I like the look of chrome hardware (just look at my kit-there's enough to build a set of monkey bars/jungle jim)... but.... man, I LOVE that black hardware!!! For me, it's too cool!!!!!

User Info Menu

yeah me and my band pretty much decided on the pearl its so good looking and im getting all new heads and a bagillion cymbals

User Info Menu

in my opinion..you get what you pay for in a pearl drumset..theyre expensive..but theyre pretty much the best money can buy!

User Info Menu

hey, I totaly understand you problems i'm in a similar situation! hard work make these decisions with so much to choose from... I would have to agree with "pinkfloyd" tho y not save a bit more and get a real nice kit? that way your set? Pearl all the way though! those cats know how to build drums!

User Info Menu

These are both nice sets, It looks like ddrum's are crap though. I would personally go with th mapex. But the pearl looks nice. To be honest, i'm not a hue fan of 7 and 8 peice drum sets. I personally prefer a nice 4 peice, and the I max out in cymbals. Well actually i plan to max out in cymbals now i only have 2 (not including ride or hi hats.)

User Info Menu

I say go with the pearl. I luv my pearl
    its a very reliable company, you know you'll get something good from pearl.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Groove Percussion/ Pearl..nice cheap sets

I agree Lez...very reliable

User Info Menu

pearl is a great drumset, max looks 2nd best and d other one is crap. Pearl brings out quality sound. And i love the double bass of the pearl, really cool. If i have that drumm, ill tune the bass drum to different sounds- one will be a very light sound and the other loud in order for a confusion in the double triple kicks. GO PEARL!
    But hey where my YAMAHA at?

jarhead Guest

go with the mapex. more toms,and my opinion it looks better. everybody says pearl is the best but i dont think thats always true

User Info Menu

Question Need help choosing new drum set

Hey, oakcrest--I've played a buddy's set of Pearl Exports, and the sound definitely kicked a**...and the Pearl hardware seems to be sturdier. I've also played Mapex (truth is, Mapex actually makes more drums than just about anyone, but they appear under numerous brand names...kinda like some Kenmore appliances at Sears are actually made by GE or Whirlpool, depending on the appliance. I have a 5-piece Percussion Plus that the dealer told me was built by Mapex, and my set has held up well and sounds okay, but if you order X number of sets with your brand on them, they can be built up or down to a price, so that can be a bit dicey. )

My personal choice would be the Pearl Exports...and if you dig the double-bass sound, you're getting that right away. You can always add extra toms later on...Mapex and their other brands are OK, and ddrum, from what I've seen...you can do better, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

get the mapex and replace the hoops, those are my main problem w/ the m-series drums.

User Info Menu

just found out the new m-pro is upgraded w/ 2.3mm hoops.......good kit.