Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Drumkit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default A Good Drumkit

Hi, currently i only have an old practise kit and am thinking of upgrading soon to a good but cheapish starter kit. Im thinking of a pearl export and wondered if anyone has any other ideas of other kits at a similar price. Thanks

User Info Menu

Well hello there. Just a few ideas for great cheaper kits you could get would be PDP, Gretsch Catalina, Pearl Visions, Tama Superstar, Ludwig Accent etc. I would happy to have one of each hehe. Blessings....

User Info Menu

With that around price (800 bucks), you should get TAMA SUPERSTAR....
    Grab the 6 Piece kit dude...It'll be worthed enough....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

You will find that the responces are as varied as the individuals around here! Just pick a brand and a color that you like best in the entry to mid market there is not a lot of difference in quality between companies. they are all making decent drums.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 02-06-2008 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with an export. But go into a shop and play a few kits in your price range. Have a good listen and feel.

It's also very important that they look good. It will make you feel nice and happy when you play them.

User Info Menu

Tama superstars are good but I would look at Mapex m-birch
    Mapex makes an incredable kit. if you look into them you'll find there doing some pretty innovative stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWard08 View Post
    Tama superstars are good but I would look at Mapex m-birch
    Mapex makes an incredable kit. if you look into them you'll find there doing some pretty innovative stuff.
    I'm with you on that one Bro.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

the replacement for the discontinued export is the vision line. they are very well made kits. big improvement IMO! they are made of a birch/basswood blend. with 6 ply toms and 8 ply kick drums and floor toms. the laquor finishes are beautiful. pearl just announced at namm that they are introducing all maple and all birch shells in this line. if you like the exports, pearls entry level forum line has been upgraded to pretty much the same specs as the old exports with i.s.s. suspention mounts and stuff, just not in as many finishes.

other great kits to look for in the under or around 1k price are the gretch catalina maple, sonor force 2007 birch or 3007 maple, mapex pro m or m birch, and tama imperialstar. guitar center recently had a tama rockstar 8pc dbl kick kit for 899.00. it might still be available, a great deal.

User Info Menu

other great kits to look for in the under or around 1k price are the gretch catalina maple, sonor force 2007 birch or 3007 maple, mapex pro m or m birch, and tama imperialstar. guitar center recently had a tama rockstar 8pc dbl kick kit for 899.00. it might still be available, a great deal.
    This should be answer your question perfectly...
    Choose between those kit...Don't depend on someone bro....
    Every person must be have different taste of kit...Go with anything you like....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I'm a big Tama fan, I have a Rockstar Custom so that deal that Funky mentioned sounds great!

If not the Superstar line is pretty good, check out the new Superstar Hyperdrive series they look interesting. Really short Toms, not sure what they sound like but I'd like a go.

But to be honest any of the Mapex, Gretch, Sonor, Pearl etc. kits mentioned on here will be fine. Its down to you're personal tastes but they all come recommended.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    the replacement for the discontinued export is the vision line.
    Why are they going to discontinue such a legendary name? The export is the best selling kit of all tme.

User Info Menu

I had someone tell me that before. Thats awesome. I think it will do and as alway pearl leads the way in drumming innovation :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

MS, I'm a big Gretsch Catalina Maple fan, and yet I agree that there are other great kits out there in the "student/intermediate" level. My advice is to just go and play as many different kits as you are really considering. Make sure you get to play different woods on the kits (I'm really partial to maple), and read up on the benefits of different woods. For instance, the birch shells have been a standard for studio recording, but if you aren't planning on studio recording, then you can choose the sound that you like to hear. Some like blended shells, and some like single wood shells. Make sure you find out what's available now, and get the kit that's right for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the really great advice guys . There are so many options to choose from, although it will probably be a while im gonna start looking around. Theres a good shop with alot of choice near me so i reckon ill have a look in there soon.

User Info Menu

Good for you MS!! Have fun with it all!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i thought they could have kept the name and redesign the exports, but i guess pearl thought it was time for an overall change. the exports were the best selling kits in the world until mapex, gretch and every other company started selling all maple and birch kits for less or about the same price. however, trust me when i say the vision is a better kit than the exports. with all maple and birch versions coming up i think pearl will take back the intermediate market.

User Info Menu

i thought they could have kept the name and redesign the exports, but i guess pearl thought it was time for an overall change. the exports were the best selling kits in the world until mapex, gretch and every other company started selling all maple and birch kits for less or about the same price. however, trust me when i say the vision is a better kit than the exports. with all maple and birch versions coming up i think pearl will take back the intermediate market.
    Cool, I didn't know the Visions came in an all Birch. I want a cheap Birch kit for recording and one I can play on for those "dingy" gigs if you know what I mean. Not taking my DW's out to those to get beer, piss, or God knows what other stains on them hehe. Plus the backstage scene can be an easy access for a roady to get a "good deal" on a kit. Blessings.....

User Info Menu

I have a birch vision and it is a fantastic kit for the money.

User Info Menu

Middleman even the Visions are too good for that type environment. Just pick up a used kit to play those gigs, like some early 90s Rockstars or Exports or something!

User Info Menu

heck, my masters kit sees those dives every weekend. i've been pretty lucky so far. im considering buying a intermediate secondary kit for bar gigs. or a mapex orion 4 pc in birdseye maple that my local shop has for cheep.

User Info Menu

heck, my masters kit sees those dives every weekend. i've been pretty lucky so far. im considering buying a intermediate secondary kit for bar gigs. or a mapex orion 4 pc in birdseye maple that my local shop has for cheep.

Yikes, Peal Masters belong in a dingy club as good as an Eagle in a chicken coup hehe. You have a nice kit there, ya get that "club kit" before your Lamborghini gets a joyride. Blessings......

User Info Menu

Or (perish the thought!!!) buy an American made set and give a job to a fellow citizen. Yeeeesh! no wonder your economy is falling flat on it's face

all the best...

User Info Menu

sure, i will spend 2k more on a five pc to buy a dw, gretsch or boutique custom kit, rather than buy pearl masters or tama starclassic kit. naw, i dont think so. american made or not, there is no need for the price you pay for the made in the u.s. aspect with those companies. our economy sucks because our government sucks, not because we are buying japaneese drums.

User Info Menu

sure, i will spend 2k more on a five pc to buy a dw, gretsch or boutique custom kit, rather than buy pearl masters or tama starclassic kit. naw, i dont think so. american made or not, there is no need for the price you pay for the made in the u.s. aspect with those companies. our economy sucks because our government sucks, not because we are buying japaneese drums.
    I agree with you and disagree, I feel that our exporting of jobs to other countries has been a factor but it's only a slice of the bigger piece of the pie. Blessings...

User Info Menu

Unless you have an extra few grand laying around waiting to be spent. Blessings.....