Thread: The mystery of the Tama snare...

lipstix-n-drumstix Guest

Default The mystery of the Tama snare...

Hey guys & gals.
    First off, this site is killer. I absolutely adore everyone that I've talked to so far, I'm definitely gonna be a regular here.

I have this old, cheap-o Tama chrome snare that I LOVE & refuse to retire.
    Recently, I changed the snares & encountered the strangest thing.
    NO reaction from the snares AT ALL.
    My snare sounds like a high-tuned tom tom.
    I tried all the obvious stuff: re-adjusted the throw, checked tension, flipped the snares, changed the head...to no avail. The snares are resting on the head as they should, but no action.
    I've had 4 different drummers look at it & no one can figure it out.
    WHAT AM I MISSING?
    Please don't tell me it's something ridiculously obvious, although I'm sure it probably is...
    Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

this happened to me when i finished staining my snare and i just got a deep sound with very little buzz, but i loosened up the batter head some and then let the snares loose just to see if i could get a buzz(lol i sound like a drug addict) and i could work off of that

so what i think you should do is to not try and find the perfect sound right away, just try and find ANY sound, and once you hear the buzz for the first time you can build off of that to see what things are happening that limit its noise

oh and by the way welcome to drumchat! i talked to you in the shoutbox for a moment, but this is the official welcome. its good to have another woman in here and we are looking forward to you helping us grow as a drumming community.

User Info Menu

Try what Coke has suggested, also what ever you have the snares attached with, either mylar strap or snare cord could be holding the snares just enough off the head to loose contact. It is hard to say without looking.

User Info Menu

oh, and welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

i would say ither replace the snares again or losen them up.
    with my cheepo tama snare if i tighten the snares at all they choke up youve probably allready tryed that though but one other sugjestion take the snares off again and put them on looser than before and try agian.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

ThePloughman Guest

Wires are upside down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Wires are upside down.
    thats what i was thinkin'.

User Info Menu

Me too

all the best...

lipstix-n-drumstix Guest

That was the first thing I thought of....not the case. Still trying to fix it. Thanks guys.

ThePloughman Guest

ok. you got me. I missed you flipped the wires. Sorry I wasted your time. But...... a snare drum is only a collection of simple parts. wires, string/straps/throwoff mechanism with retention for string, butt mechanism. Those 4 items work together. Top head, Bottom head, 2 hoops. 8 lugs, shell, and thats it. What else could be wrong here? Could something be wrong with the throw off mechanism? Get a clear regular head on by mistake?

User Info Menu

This has all the makings of the world's greatest riddle.

Since I am assuming that the snares didn't work before you changed the heads, and still don't work after changing the heads (I assume that it was the snare side head that was changed), I think I would get another set of snare wires to see if it is the snares themself. If all the other adjustments have been unsucessful in bringing back the snare sound, then look at the snares again.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

This happens to me sometimes with my old Rogers snare, normally I just have to mess with the wires some or tighten the batter held, but now the throw is messing up so neither work. Anyways I suggest playing with the wires some more and make sure that the throw off doesn't sag down or come loose in any way so that the wires loose contact to the resonant head ( that is what is happen with mine now ). Maybe if you are putting the wires on with the batter held facing the ground you could turn in around so it facing toward you, you may not actually have them tightened enough and when you flip the drum back over gravity takes its course; thats assuming you put the wires on with the batter head facing the ground. Anyways hope this makes some sense or helps .

User Info Menu

If you have a digital camara take some pictures and post them so we can see what you are trying to work with. We are all just speculating at this point, so were are probably sending you on a goose chase trying to solve your problem.

ThePloughman Guest

Eons, let me know what your Rogers snare is, and I can give you some advice on the throw off.

User Info Menu

Could be the snare bed on the shell, snares not seated correctly on the head, are you using the right kind of reso head? Do you get tension on the snares when you engage the throw-off? My first inclination was snares were installed upside down thereby preventing the wires from touching the head - hence the timbale/tom sound. Have you adjusted the tension on the throw-off (pretty simple and probably dumb question). Are you using snare string or the nylon "tape" to attach the snares? Are you getting tension on the string/snare when you engage the throw-off? Sometimes they slip when tension is applied if the mounting screws aren't tight (and sometimes when they are, especially on less expensive and/or worn parts). Just a few suggestions.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Default Re: The mystery of the Tama snare...

maybe it's a magical snare that only works when you play it with zuchinis?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

check the solder points where the snare strings attach to the snare frame. If there is a messy solder point you may need to either file it down or exchange the snare for a different one. Thats all I got, previous suggestions cover the usual suspects.

Pditty
    Pditty

User Info Menu

I wonder if lipstix ever solved the problem? She hasn't posted in awhile, has anyone heard form her?