Thread: bass drums pedals and why?

User Info Menu

Default bass drums pedals and why?

many people use different brand of pedals.. i personal have the ltd edition Power iron cobra pedal... why this pedal? well simply cos i bought a Tama kit as my first kit and have neverlooked back and same goes for the Bassdrum pedal..
    What have you used/use and why? Also i would like to add.. does anyone think one particular pedal is better for a single Bassdrum and another for a double pedal?? or am i just getting too deep with this whole thing haha
    oh and one more thing. beaters.. which and why.. do you mix brands with these also???
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

ThePloughman Guest

I used a Rogers Supreme for 25 years. In 99 I bought my first Iron Cobra. I use a power glide and a rolling glide. I prefer the rolling glide.

User Info Menu

I would love an Iron Cobra. Currently I'm using an old set of PDP402's and constantly feel like my movement is limited and I require extra foot strength to maneuver it half the time. With the Cobras, I feel as if the pedal is allowing me to communicate what I'm thinking rather than putting to much physical work into one beat. Great pedals.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Ludwig Speed King and a Gretsch Floating Action. As for why, their basic simplicity I guess. When I feel that my artistry is being limited by them, I will part with the dough for something fancier. I find most pedals to be pretty good. The only true klunkers, I think, come with the entry level and kiddy sets.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 02-11-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

i have only owned a few, but have played many. i have owned a speed king, then a cheepo 80s tama, then a pair of niceman 80s camco pedals wich got replaced by dw5000s in 1992, and have played with those ever since. the only pedals i have played that i would replace my dw with are tricks new pedal. they are just amazing and have the easiest adjustments. but that will have to wait till after i win the lotto. i have played a couple models of iron cobra and pearls eliminators, they are good but not good enuff to make me wanna switch and shell out the cash.

User Info Menu

I've played a Ludwig speedking, a Rogers big R pedal (I can't remember the exact model though) I've had a Camco chain drive that I wish I still had, Gibralter double pedal and my current DW5000 double pedal. Over all the DW is hands down to me a better feeling pedal that all of the above listed pedals.

User Info Menu

I've my Pearl P199 Double kicks pedal...
    Good pedal...But it's nothing compared to TAMA Iron Cobra....

The good point is the price....
    Soooo cheap....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I use Tama Iron Cobra power girdle. Its smooth and durable
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Ploughman, since you are resident Rogers expert. What Rogers Pedal did I have that had a fairly wide footboard that was aluminum in color with a big black R in the middle and the tension spring angled back toward my foot? I have been trying to think of the model all morning.

User Info Menu

Im glad this was posted cos I'm in the market for a double pedal, Ive always just played single pedals. I just borrowed a students dixon [I know its crap] double pedal for a week and I'm hooked. so is it to be rocker glide iron cobra or the axis pedal I saw a pix of that on here, but I cant remember who had it, it looked real sexy, especially the red writing on the plate.
    would you guy's get it new or off ebay?

User Info Menu

I like the Iron Cobras, but I've only played them in store. MusiciansFriend gives alot of negative feedback from the buyers saying that the chain has a big issue with breaking within the first year. What's the deal?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I havent heard of anyone breaking an iron cobra. I have had the iron cobra jr. wich has a single chain instead of a double for 7 years now and nothing has ever broken on it. The new iron cobra with the cobra coil (helper spring under the pedal) is one of the best feeling and smoothest operating ive played on. I know of many drummers who use and love the iron cobra over any other. I have played the dw's and they are nice also.

User Info Menu

I alternate between my Speed King which I've had for 44 years and a Tama Iron Cobra PowerGlide single pedal. The Speed King is fluid and powerful...just keep it oiled at the linkage. Only drawback is that I have to adjust spring tension from underneath the pedal. I bought the Cobra because I wanted something new for an older kit. Nick Marcy of Nics Drum Studio in Austin, TX recommended the Tama. He and I are old friends. I have to say that I like the Cobra but I do have to be careful of its action...very fast and the rebound is incredible. I have never heard anything negative regarding the chain but nothing is 100% perfect...

Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    nothing is 100% perfect...

Frank
    except for me

User Info Menu

Iron Cobra's are nice pedals! There is little to be said that is negative about them.

User Info Menu

what about the axis. anyone?

User Info Menu

axis are good. the direct drive is very smooth. they are not very durable from what i hear. i know alot of people that have sent them back, but others that swear by em.

User Info Menu

i love the axis
    but pricey
    i love the trick
    but pricey
    so far my 7000's are doing a great job despite a freak blown pair of bearings
    but i will probably be with dw's for a while
    they just feel right to me

i also like the mapex pedals
    with the triple beater and the yellow base
    they just felt really smooth
    but i didnt get to play on them for long
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    axis are good. the direct drive is very smooth. they are not very durable from what i hear. i know alot of people that have sent them back, but others that swear by em.
    if they can hold up to chris adler
    i think they are fine
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Have a Ludwig Speedking, Tama single and Iron Cobra double. Have played a Gammons double (nice enough pedal but the bd attachment mechanism is terrible). Speedking is a real PIA to adjust with the screws underneath but overall a real nice pedal and vintage to boot. The Tama single chain Power Glide single pedal is a decent pedal but I am afraid it wouldn't stand up to the road over time. I really do like the Power Glide Iron Cobra double. Lots of adjustments, easy to play and repair if necessary, very responsive and it wears like iron. Haven't replaced a spring yet (and I do keep spares - I like the DW springs with the dampener in the middle, go figure). I use the beaters that came with it - also nice adjustments so you get the "sweet spot" of the beater hitting the head at precisely the right angle. I like the looks of the Axis longboards but very pricey off the shelf - not sure if they're worth the money and I haven't had the opportunity to try them out. Just my two cents worth.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Default bass drums pedals and why?

OLA como estas' PAULDRUMS *ARTIST DRUMMER *
    I use IRON COBRA DOUBLE HP900PTW POWER GLIDE & IRON COBRA DOUBLE
    HP900RSW ROLLING GLIDE & PEARL ELIMINATOR DOUBLE * I love My TAMAS
    THE MOST ,the TAMA ARE FOR me- SO VERY SMOOTH & FANTASTIC HOT FAST ACTION* The PEARL Eliminator IS VERY HOT TOO.In all My Years of PERFORMING I have used MANY MANY PEDALS they have all been good *
    MY SPEED KING *Gretsch Floating Action,My siv-O-Matic. MY GHOST My DW
    7000 DOUBLE *BUT I PERFER MY TAMAS IRON -COBRAS* *GRACIAS **
    WHAT ever works for THE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER IS ALL GREAT**

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    if they can hold up to chris adler
    i think they are fine
    i know they are great, i've used em lots of times, and with the right setting they feel faster than my DWs. but i have heard more complaints about them breaking than any pedal ive read about in these drum forums. the biggest influence on my opinion is john longstreth (origin, dimmak, dying fetus) and what he said about why he went to trick over axis. he has broken a few axis, and he is not really a heavy footed guy. it just came from the excessive road work and usage. so for that reason i would not spend that much money on them.

i wouldnt spend what they want for tricks either for that matter, but they are hands down the best feeling pedals ive used. i feel they are the future of pedal design. we will know more about their long term durabilty in a few years when they have been around as long as axis.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 02-12-2008 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I used a Rogers Supreme for 25 years. In 99 I bought my first Iron Cobra. I use a power glide and a rolling glide. I prefer the rolling glide.
    25 years ? shame on you for waiting so long to update your equipment . I had ( still have but dont use ) an old Speed King pedal with the leather strap that I replaced with a Ludwig pedal that has a felt beater , and that was just a few years ago.....lol

User Info Menu

the best single pedal i have ever tried is the speed king (Ludvig).
    The best double pedal for me is the Axis.
    I tried almost all of the double pedals before i decide to buy the Pearl Eliminator 2002C (more adjustments) (you can fix it exactly as you want)
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

they rattle, squeek and have tiny pedalboards, but yeah, the speed king still has some of the best feel and response. it does what you make it do.