Thread: Conga Questions

User Info Menu

Default Conga Questions

Ok,I have several questions.
    When you play congas,do you always play mounted bongos?
    Are there any good brands of congas?(Such as Ludwig and Tama of drumsets)
    And what are good,cheap beginner congas?

User Info Menu

BB? Where art thou BB??????

BongoBro will be here soon, fear not!

Oh and Welcome to Drum Chat (beware, people here bite some times

User Info Menu

Thanks,I decided to make this thread instead of an ATTN: Bongo Bro thread!
    I have lurked here to know about you,drummer, bb,Vinny,VegasDrummer and more. And I have been bitten here before. By the way,has anyone found VegasDrummer?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat! Hope you hang around awhile!

Now, questions......

No, you do not have to play mounted bongos with congas. But, it sure makes the song more flavorful when you do.

You can not go wrong with LP congas. They make some of the best. Also check out Gon Bop.

Toca make some good beginners congas, along with some higher end ones. But I would stick with LP and get a lower end model to begin with. Their craftsmanship and quality are top notch, even in their entry level drums.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Conga Questions

Quote Originally Posted by yunie92992 View Post
    Ok,I have several questions.
    When you play congas,do you always play mounted bongos?
    Are there any good brands of congas?(Such as Ludwig and Tama of drumsets)
    And what are good,cheap beginner congas?
    Hey, yunie92992! Welcome aboard--hey, man, I snarl occasionally but I don't bite! Glad to see another hand-slammer (hand drummer) in our midst...

Now, to add to the answers 1DrumBum gave you (he and I are only two of about a dozen hand drummers who hang out here, all of whom dig playin' and who can answer your questions!):

You don't have to mount your congas on a stand--but it makes it a lot easier to play when you switch off from bongos to congas or vice versa. I play seated (like most true congueros), and I used to play the bongos in their traditional position between your knees--and frankly, it made switching from one to the other a real pain in the neck, not to mention points due south! Here's a picture of how I have mine set up...granted, the pic was taken outdoors, but my drumming setup is the same one I use indoors with my church's guitar group...

And if you play standing, a bongo stand is a must to enable you to switch off from congas and bongos...really important if you play fast tunes...

I have played CP congas and LP bongos for years; the CP range is now known as the LP Aspire series, and they're every bit as good as the CPs. As 1DB says, LPs and Gon Bops are among the top brands--and if you've got the extra money, bro', they're worth the investment.

Tocas are good values, but the Synergy series congas and bongos pleasantly surprised me when I played them about six months ago (look for "Synergy Congas and Bongos" in the Drum Review section). Another line of bongos and congas that surprised me is from Remo; I have a gray pebble-finish Remo tumba that I love for its deep bass sounds and great slaps... Any of those will be worth it if you're a serious hand drummer--although I think you already are!

BTW, yunie, you don't have to "lurk" around here..."bongobro" is a contraction of the words "bongo brother." While all drummers are brothers (and sisters) to me, hand drummers literally are my "bongo brothers!" Again, welcome aboard, bro'... glad to help ya anytime!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, yunie92992! Welcome aboard--hey, man, I snarl occasionally but I don't bite! Glad to see another hand-slammer (hand drummer) in our midst...

Now, to add to the answers 1DrumBum gave you (he and I are only two of about a dozen hand drummers who hang out here, all of whom dig playin' and who can answer your questions!):

You don't have to mount your congas on a stand--but it makes it a lot easier to play when you switch off from bongos to congas or vice versa. I play seated (like most true congueros), and I used to play the bongos in their traditional position between your knees--and frankly, it made switching from one to the other a real pain in the neck, not to mention points due south! Here's a picture of how I have mine set up...granted, the pic was taken outdoors, but my drumming setup is the same one I use indoors with my church's guitar group...

And if you play standing, a bongo stand is a must to enable you to switch off from congas and bongos...really important if you play fast tunes...

I have played CP congas and LP bongos for years; the CP range is now known as the LP Aspire series, and they're every bit as good as the CPs. As 1DB says, LPs and Gon Bops are among the top brands--and if you've got the extra money, bro', they're worth the investment.

Tocas are good values, but the Synergy series congas and bongos pleasantly surprised me when I played them about six months ago (look for "Synergy Congas and Bongos" in the Drum Review section). Another line of bongos and congas that surprised me is from Remo; I have a gray pebble-finish Remo tumba that I love for its deep bass sounds and great slaps... Any of those will be worth it if you're a serious hand drummer--although I think you already are!

BTW, yunie, you don't have to "lurk" around here..."bongobro" is a contraction of the words "bongo brother." While all drummers are brothers (and sisters) to me, hand drummers literally are my "bongo brothers!" Again, welcome aboard, bro'... glad to help ya anytime!
    Hey B- Bro , hurry and look , there is some stranger sitting at your set .

User Info Menu

Cool Conga questions

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Hey B- Bro , hurry and look , there is some stranger sitting at your set .
    I do clean up nicely, don't I?

What a difference shades, a cap and a black T-shirt make! Same drums, same dude, different 'tude!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

you always look happy when you're near your hand drums bbro, well except that drum face pic you posted lol!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool Conga questions

Why do ya think rockers almost always wear black on stage? It's the image, man!

Actually, the av pic is also a "drum face"...but my real face is indeed the one you see when I'm behind my drums! That's true about just about any drummer, ya know--as PB once said, "dig the smile on the drummer's face!"

Charlie

User Info Menu

We're just not used to seeing you with-out them shades and a hat...............lol ....... btw, those are some nice lookin' drums .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga Questions

[QUOTE=bongobro;69914]Hey, yunie92992! Welcome aboard--hey, man, I snarl occasionally but I don't bite! Glad to see another hand-slammer (hand drummer) in our midst...

OLA como estas'bongoBro ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER *DRAGON
    (CAT) Now mi amigo THATS A VERY HOT PICTURE of your expression
    As Tu MUY Creador Profondo ALMA mirars Muy Filiz ADENTRO tu MUY ROJO CALINETE' Pasion,para El TAMBORES MANOS Mi amigo YO AMORS IT**GRACIAS* for shareing * as I know that TAMBORES is ANTIGUO
    ADENTRO tu ALMA