Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dampening

User Info Menu

Default dampening

Here's a funny story, when i first started playing drums I thought that when someone talked about dampening their drums I thought that it meant that you use water........... but over time i figured it out. at one point I actually dripped some water on my drum heads......... But here's the question, how do you guys dampen your drums? i personally perfer no pulp orange juice lol, no seriously I tape some soft substance to my tom heads, and obviously duct tape everywhere, sometimes electrical tape.

User Info Menu

hmm.. that Amp energy drink works pretty good too...
    lol jk
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Lightbulb dampening

You can dampen 'em either way, bro'!

In the earliest days of drumming, you had to moisten the heads to lower the pitch (or hold them next to a warm surface to tighten them up)...a real pain-in-the-butt if you were playin' outdoors in damp weather. That's why the plastic "weatherproof" heads became popular--especially after some drummers burned their skins from too much heat or couldn't play at all because the heads were too flabby.

As you discovered, "dampening" in the other context refers to muffling or removing the "ringing" sound some heads make when they're tuned, or to give them a different sound. As you already know, drummers use duct tape, foam, pillows, rugs, what have you, to dampen the sound. There are several brands of muffling rings that do the same thing, too.

Great story!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have tried a lot of different ways, but this is what I'm happiest with:

Evans' E-Rings on all the toms with Remo Pinstripe heads.
    A little duct tape on the snare with Evans G2 heads.
    Evans E-Mad head with a double batter pad on the batter side and stock resonant head with a 6" port added and a 6" wide piece of felt stretched across the inside for my bass drum. I don't have to use a blanket or pillow on the inside of it because of the felt and E-Mad and the batter pad just softens the bass kicks a little more.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i dont have any thing dampened except for my kick (muffle ring )and snare just so simple ducttape and some tape on the bottom of my ride cymbal
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

hmm..Question!

does it wear your drums out? if you dampen

User Info Menu

There is no effect on drum wear. The only problem I could see is if you use some type of tape with an acidic glue. that might not be too good for the heads.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

hmm okay thanks alot!
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Let 'em ring!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I've never had the need to dampen or muffle my drums, I play them wide open.

User Info Menu

i use a dampening ring on my snare drum, and a towel in my bass drum, and i also have some tissue taped onto my snares on the left side of the resonant drum. But i dont dampen my toms, but on that subject does anyone have some good strategies on getting those perfect sounds for ur toms. it would be greatly appreciated
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

i have RemO's on my toms and snare and a little bit O duct tape on the kick

most of it is in the tuning, you have to find the sweet spot where you get the best sound without the anoying ringing sound...
    "Bow Down To The Almighty Bunghole!"

User Info Menu

The only dampener i have is an Evans EQ pad in my kick drum....and the only time i dampen any tom is if it rings in a certain venue...my 12" tom used to ring at this one particular club i used to play....and my 14" tom at a different club. Other than that, wide open. I'm not a fan of dampening...you lose all the overtones of the drum if theyre dampened too much.

User Info Menu

i really like the sound of all my drums, but the snare pissed me off, so i used a 14" aquarian studio ring. I worked great! my snare is like a higher pitched punch with almost no resonance, and i love it! best $2.50 i ever spent!
    TAMA//VIC FIRTH//EVANS//ZILDJIAN//SABIAN

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!1!11!!1!

jarhead Guest

remos work pretty good. thats what i use

User Info Menu

No offense, but i cannot stand it when people have their toms ring!!! It just gets on my nerves when im playing some fill, and i can still hear the toms ringing when I go back to my beat.

User Info Menu

Well, you have to remember...when playing live, the guitars, bass, and vocals are going to overpower the subtle overtones and most of the resonance of the drum....and over-damped drums, mic'ed up, sound absolutely horrible, lol
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I use Moongel pads on my toms.
    Last edited by Dr.Hook; 12-19-2006 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Remo O-rings on all my toms.
    Blanket and felt strips for the bass drum.
    Nothing for the snare, i find it has a better sound if you don't dampen it.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I have inbuilt damping rings on bass drum skins at the moment, but nothing else.

The current trend seems to be for open sounding, unmuffled drums - toms that 'pop' and 'sing'; fat, wide snare sounds; and booming bass drums.

But I remember back in the late 80s, everyone had wads of felt and gaff-tape on everything. My bass drum was stuffed full of old pillows. A lot of the drumktits sounded (in comparison to today's sound) like wet cardboard.

I think it was also partially that most people I knew had cheap kits and we used muffling to remove some of the nastier overtones, particularly snare ringing.

User Info Menu

coated heads help to reduce ring and and what ring is left is really more pleasing than peircing

User Info Menu

I don't muffle much. I use moon gels on the toms & snare if needed. Also felt strips on both bass drum heads.
    Dave H.

User Info Menu

HELP WITH PERFECT TUNING:Well I think I may have found that Sweet spot (With Moon Gels to Dampen the sound)...But I'm not 100% sure.My drumset is fusion so the toms are smaller and have a quicker sound...There's hardly any ring and when I play them outside they sound Perfect...I just wonder if I have found that Sweet Spot??

User Info Menu

Currently I use Nothing on my Snare (Sounds Great without Dampening)...I use moon gels on all my Toms,And Bass drum I just have a Pillow inside.I use Remo Weatherking Pinstripe Heads (Clear)...All my drums sound great,It's just that they sound BETTER Outside and I'm not sure if that mean's I have found that sweet spot yet...

User Info Menu

whats moon gel? which is better for a dampened sound, clear or coated heads?
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod