Thread: Tuning Bass Drum

User Info Menu

Default Tuning Bass Drum

Whooie....started finer tuning my kit last night.....to the sound progression/digression of "3 blind mice".....2 smaller 4 lug hoops 8"" toms were a challenge.....anyway I have the bass drum to do yet.....still need a head....were out of stock as I changed my choice for res from ambassador to fibre skin....
    question is: do you try to tune the bass to the floor toms with the same sound progression/digression (have 2) or do you tune to its best sound????
    may be a dumb question but I thought about it all yesterday evening.
    your advise is very much appreciated and respected.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Riff, Tune you bass drum to the best sound. I guess you could try to tune it in succession, but I guess my question would be why? I just try to tune my bass drum to the lowest viable note that I can tune it to, that will still keep its playability and doesn't sound sloppy or like wet cardboard.

User Info Menu

Yeah backtodrum...I believe that pretty covers it. Then from there it is more or less dampening to taste. That will depend on your chosen style of music...whether you like the sound clipped or more open...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks for the replies, you've made my day. I spent a lot of time the past few days getting the drums tuned to where I like them, and I was afraid that if the Bass had to be in succession then I would be back to square one.

finally decided to go with the ebony for the bass reso rather than the fibre skin after some googling...will probably have the bass tuned over the weekend as it is going to be cold as heck here (again) over the weekend.I'll be staying near the fire place.

should get my green card and move south...brrrrrr.
    cheers
    RIFF