Thread: New member upgrading kit

User Info Menu

Default New member upgrading kit

Hey all,

I'm a new member on this so I guess before I get into my thread I'll introduce myself. I'm a 20 yr old college student from the University of FLorida; I've been playing drums since age 9 and have had my kit since age 10. I'm also drummer of the local blues rock band The Moonshine Trio, we've done a few gigs at parties etc and its the most fun I've ever had playing the drums. Ok so here's my actual thread please offer suggestions.

I have a Pearl (not exactly sure of the series and all that, it's at the frat house right now) and I've got a set of Zildjian Cymbals; I think originally it was more of a middle-low end kit. So I've had this thing for 10 years, put several new heads on all the drums, still sounds alright but it's old and I'm looking for something a little more high end. I am especially rather disappointed with the tone quality of the bassdrum and the floor tom despite the fact that I've tuned and replaced heads numerous time, I think its just time for something new. They sound lumpy almost mushy, ya mushy is a good word to describe it. Anyway I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for the best investment of my money; keep in mind I'm but a poor college kid so I don't have THAT much cash (I will throw down though I just don't have enough for a completely new set. My plan is more to slowly upgrade everything starting with the most important items first) Keep in mind I'm relatively happy right now with my cymbals, and we don't do much recording, most of our gigs are just at random house parties etc. Suggestions?!

-Moonshine

User Info Menu

My advice, before you start putting your mind on another kit, give yours a little checkup. That mushy sound could be caused by the screws loosening up inside over time or after condensation occuring, so I suggest you take off the heads and rims then clean down your set and check your screws, lugs, etc.
    I doubt that after 10 years it would start to dull out on you unless it's a Forum or Export series that you have. As for getting a new set, if you're partial to Pearl, I'd say check out the new Vision series or the SMX, they look pretty good for the price. My two cents

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

ThePloughman Guest

Shop the used market. Craigslist especially. For the thousand bucks you will have to spend on a good mid level kit, .... like the PDP maple series, you could probably find a great deal on the same kit used for hundreds less.

User Info Menu

I agree with Ploughman, you can find something used that would a lot less money than new and would work as well or better. I bet if you watched the bulletin boards at school that some starving student like yourself might have something you would like locally.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Moonshine Drummer! I remember how tight things can be while you're in college, so give us some idea of your budget for a new kit, and then we can offer more specific advice. I am assuming that if you are happy with your current cymbal, then you are looking for a shell pack, and I can recommend the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit (6 piece -10.12.14.and 16 toms) as a good mid level kit for $699. I can also recommend the Gretsch Catalina Ash kit at $599 (6 piece - 8,10,12,14 toms).

BTW, what kind of tone are you looking for from the bass and the floor tom? The recommendation requires that we know what kind of tone you want from the kit. The maple shell gives a warmer tone, while the Ash and birch kits will give a higher pitch to your tone. Of course, from there the choice of heads came also help shape your tone.

There is a lot of experience around here that can help you, and as has been already said, it is possible to narrow down what you are looking for, and then check the used market to find a good buy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you are happy with your current cymbals and hardware I'd recommend just looking around the local pawn shops or craigslist and find a nice quality used shell pack. If money is pretty tight and you are not in a big hurry,you could probably find a great deal if you take your time and shop around. Then you can slowly upgrade your cymbals and hardware one piece at a time. That's what I'm attempting to do.

Ernie S.

User Info Menu

Default Welcome

welcome to drumchat
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Another consideration is that if your current kit sounded good once, then there is no reason that is shouldn't sound good again. Look over all of your bearing edges and perhaps re-head it and tune it up. If the edges are bad have them reworked by a quality shop and you should be good to go. Drums are fairly simple instruments and there really isn't a lot of mechanics to them, so the problem should be pretty easy to diagnose.

User Info Menu

keep in mind I'm but a poor college kid so I don't have THAT much cash
    So do I mate...
    I'm a poor High School Student....And I'm satisfied enough with my TAMA Imperialstar 5-piece...
    It only cost me 500 bucks....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

i dont know your budget, but if you are wanting a high end kit at a low price, i would check out the pearl masters mcx, tama starclassic performer, and gretsch renown. all three have exceptional sound and quality. all can be had for around 1200-1500 bucks.

if your budget is lower...as others said, the gretsch catalina, pearl vision, sonor force, mapex pro m...ect, are all good too. and all available from 600-1k.

if your budget is lower than 600 bucks, i would say its prolly not worth the upgrade, as you could make any ol beginner kit you already have sound as good as anything you can buy at that price.