Thread: Progessing!!

User Info Menu

Default Progessing!!

I have been playing drums for 3 or 4 years and play in various bands and can keep a tight rythum but im looking to improve and im not sure hwther getting a few lessons or buying books is the way forward i have a number of beats riffs etc sorted for songs but i want to get more complicated (or flashy if you like) and am stuck in a bit or a rut

my other problem is seperating my right hand and foot - whenever i try to complex bass drum beats my right hand follows the beats and its ***annoying

hope someone can help
    Last edited by drummer; 02-14-2008 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

definitely advise lessons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kabin View Post
    I have been playing drums for 3 or 4 years and play in various bands and can keep a tight rythum but im looking to improve and im not sure hwther getting a few lessons or buying books is the way forward i have a number of beats riffs etc sorted for songs but i want to get more complicated (or flashy if you like) and am stuck in a bit or a rut

my other problem is seperating my right hand and foot - whenever i try to complex bass drum beats my right hand follows the beats and its **** annoying

hope someone can help
    Kabin... first off, WELCOME! Secondly... please don't cuss in here. This is a clean, family-friendly forum. (Thanks!) Thirdly... we all get stuck in a rut from time to time. It's perfectly normal. You just need to get inspired. Buy some DVDs, go out and hear some great drummers play live, go to some drum clinics, take lessons from a great teacher. All these things will reenergize you.

User Info Menu

I agree with what Drummer suggested in #3. You can work through it!

User Info Menu

I recommend Thomas Lang's Creative Control DVD. His exercises help you separate your foot and hands and become independent
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

yea, the thomas lang video is great, but it might be too advanced for you, from what your saying. i suggest getting a teacher, casue they can lead you in a positive direction, while if your educate yourself, although it sounds cool, you may wind up going backwards even tho u think ur going forwards. plus with a teacher, you can learn more, faster, and its all more organized
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Definately teacher. Especially if you have not had lessons yet.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

You could try my method at the bottom of this post: or get a teacher. I'm gonna start getting lessons in a few weeks and i've been drumming for 4 years.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...463.html?t=463

User Info Menu

yeah sorry my bad with the cussing

cheers for all the feedback i did have lessons for 2 years i think on and off and yeah i got in the mind set for progression after seeing live acts and really getting into my music recently so ive got the urge to do it just need the help to get me ther really

cheers for all the f/b tho

User Info Menu

Hello Kabin nice to meet you....

I've take a Drummin' lesson for about 5 years...
    But what old saying was true "Practice makes Perfect"....

So i suggest you to watch some clinic/ drum video....
    Seek for the hardest part....Ask your teacher how to perform it...
    And Train it everyday in your home....

It'll good for ya....
    Last edited by totti; 02-16-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Isolating the right hand and foot is really easy with quarter notes on the hat and a basic rhythm on the bass drum - like
    HH x-x-x-x-
    SD --x----x-
    BD o--o--o--
    ----1&2&3&4&

That's the first beat with quarter notes I ever learnt. Quarter notes are very good once you've mastered them on the right hand for freeing your right hand up.

And once you've got the right hand and right foot isolated to a certain degree, try this beat:

HH x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
    SD -----x----------x---
    BD o--o--o----o----o- (this line hasn't come out very well, it's 1 e & & &)
    ----1e&e2e&e3e&e4e&e

And repeat it. Two simple grooves and the latter is a very nice funk beat. Hope that's been helpful!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

All good info , and welcome to the board , also using all the advice just handed to you , practice , practice , practice . The more you play it , the easier it gets . Good luck to you .