Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Drummer, Need Set

User Info Menu

Default New Drummer, Need Set

I've got 500 dollars to spend on a set, not a penny more. My biggest priority is durability. My friend, who also drums, suggested this:

Pulse Pro Blue Metallic 5-Piece Drumset (300$)
    Sabian B8 Performance Cymbal Pack (150$)
    Remo Pinstripe Value Pack Drum Heads with Emperor X Coated Snare Head (40$)

Thoughts on that? Get a different set? Go used?

So much more to worry about with drums than there are with horns, guitars, and mics...

And BTW, I tried posting a thread yesterday but couldn't, so if somehow it did get posted and I just couldn't find it, please ignore this one and point me to my other thread....
    Last edited by TruthElixirX; 02-14-2008 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Used

I would go for a used kit . Do you have anything now ? any stands , cymbals ect
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    I would go for a used kit . Do you have anything now ? any stands , cymbals ect
    Absolutely nothing but a pair of drum sticks.

What should I look for in a used kit?

I also live in a pretty rural area, so finding one locally is a bit of a pain. Most decent ones on eBay are pick up only.

User Info Menu

Default I bought 2 kits

from guitar center online and am pleased with both. also try craigslist.com I would do lots of research to be able to make an educated choice and not rely completly on others.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    from guitar center online and am pleased with both. also try craigslist.com I would do lots of research to be able to make an educated choice and not rely completly on others.
    Reading up on things isn't a problem, just don't know what to read up on to tell the quality of a kit. Have any articles or guidlines handy?

User Info Menu

Pulse kits are stencil Asian kits pick one from 50 manufactures they will be the same drums. I would buy used name brand, I think you will be happier in the long run.

User Info Menu

I'm looking at this kit, used, right now:

Mapex Mars Pro for 399.99 7 piece set. No cymbals.

I hope helping me out isn't to much trouble. This is my first experience with drum purchasing, and I need a lot of hand holding... No idea what I am looking for in a starter kit or anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthElixirX View Post
    I'm looking at this kit, used, right now:

Mapex Mars Pro for 399.99 7 piece set. No cymbals.

I hope helping me out isn't to much trouble. This is my first experience with drum purchasing, and I need a lot of hand holding... No idea what I am looking for in a starter kit or anything.
    That sounds like a good deal. They are nice kits and much better than the Pulse kit. You can pick cymbals up as you go. Buy quality cymbals, you can't make a bad sounding cymbal sound good no matter what you do!

User Info Menu

I've got 500 dollars to spend on a set, not a penny more. My biggest priority is durability. My friend, who also drums, suggested this:

Pulse Pro Blue Metallic 5-Piece Drumset (300$)
    Sabian B8 Performance Cymbal Pack (150$)
    Remo Pinstripe Value Pack Drum Heads with Emperor X Coated Snare Head (40$)

Thoughts on that? Get a different set? Go used?

So much more to worry about with drums than there are with horns, guitars, and mics...

You have $500, that means that, at one time, you didn't have $500. It's hard saving money...even harder realizing that it was spent not wisely. To tell you what to look for in a used kit is to invite opinions from everyone and, believe me, we all have them. What I'm getting at is that you will definitely be better off with something new but, of some quality. Today, you can get 5 pc. PDP drums for about $700. You can get Ludwig 5 pc. solid Birch shell drums for about $750-$800. Really incredilble are the Gretsch Catalina line for $700. You can find these at the big box stores like Guitar Center. You can also find them at locally owned music stores that may give you the personal service you will also want. If you have $500, doesn't it make sense to save a bit longer to make up the difference and then have something of better quality AND looks that will last for a long time? Keep in mind, great drums do not make a drummer great but, poor quality drums will never make any drummer sound good. Hope this helps...

Frank

And BTW, I tried posting a thread yesterday but couldn't, so if somehow it did get posted and I just couldn't find it, please ignore this one and point me to my other thread....
    !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    !
    Eh, I'd like to save, but I am purchasing other things right now and getting ready for college and am putting some back for that. I probably won't have any extra money for quite some time.

User Info Menu

I say go for the Mapex, that's not a bad set.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

any hardware? throne, pedal, hat satand?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    any hardware? throne, pedal, hat satand?
    None. :(

User Info Menu

The problem is that you have to factor in the bass drum pedal, the throne, and at the very least a hi-hat stand and hi-hat cymbals, and if you've spent $399 already, then you've only got $101 for the rest, a decent bass drum pedal will be about $30-$50, and a cheap throne will be another $20. That leaves you just $30-$50 for a hi-hat stand and hi-hat cymbals. The problem is that even a low end pair of hi-hat cymbals (I'm thinking Zildjian ZBT. Anything less is like hitting trash can lids) is somewhere around $100, unless you can find those used too. You might be able to come close to you $500 budget, but you will probably go over unless you can find good used buys on the rest after you buy the drumset.

The Mapex kit is definitely a step above the Pulse Pro, but if you are working on a tight budget, you either have to be patient in finding the deals that you need, or you have to get what you can afford, and just expect to upgrade later when you can afford it.

BTW, welcome to Drum Chat TruthElixirX, and don't worry because this bunch is real good at helping out new drummers!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

First of all, a 7 piece kit is not needed to learn the elementaries of drumming. the more stuff being offered for the money probably means the less the quality. Try to find a set that is being offered for sale, that have all the components you will need to play. In the drum world, it is the accessories that rack up $$$$ really fast. Settle for for no less than bass, snare, hi-hat, couple toms, couple cymbals and the hardware required to make it all functional. I believe it can be done with-in your price range, but you got to be willing to scour the bushes(so to speak). The main thing to look for is sound. Next look for damaged components.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The problem is that you have to factor in the bass drum pedal, the throne, and at the very least a hi-hat stand and hi-hat cymbals, and if you've spent $399 already, then you've only got $101 for the rest, a decent bass drum pedal will be about $30-$50, and a cheap throne will be another $20. That leaves you just $30-$50 for a hi-hat stand and hi-hat cymbals. The problem is that even a low end pair of hi-hat cymbals (I'm thinking Zildjian ZBT. Anything less is like hitting trash can lids) is somewhere around $100, unless you can find those used too. You might be able to come close to you $500 budget, but you will probably go over unless you can find good used buys on the rest after you buy the drumset.

The Mapex kit is definitely a step above the Pulse Pro, but if you are working on a tight budget, you either have to be patient in finding the deals that you need, or you have to get what you can afford, and just expect to upgrade later when you can afford it.

BTW, welcome to Drum Chat TruthElixirX, and don't worry because this bunch is real good at helping out new drummers!
    I just found a set of nice cymbals used, last night. (I can't remember the name, I did check on them though. Have some experience with them from school band. )

I don't really need a throne right now, I can use a desk chair for at least a little while, unless there is something special drum thrones do?

I contacted two people about two different Mapex M Series kits that were scratched up looking (But nothing to damage the sound.) and going for 399.99. I was told the Mapex M Series was decent, and a step up. I'm also waiting to hear back about one Mapex Pro M.

User Info Menu

TE, I'd rather have the cheapest drummer's throne rather than a desk chair because you can adjust it properly for position, you can maintain better posture right from the start, and it allows you to move your legs more freely. I also will keep you from establishing bad habits that you will have to break later.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pulse didn't sound good to me....
    My local music store sold a lot of them...

I tried to played one of the PULSE about a month ago...
    And All I can say it's a decent kit....
    If I were you, I'll get myself the used MAPEX...
    And go with ZBT packs....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummer, Need Set

Just got off the phone with a guy selling a Tama Rockstar for 325 or 375 (Don't remember which.).

Are they good? It didn't come with any hardware except to stick the toms on the bass.

User Info Menu

Just got off the phone with a guy selling a Tama Rockstar for 325 or 375 (Don't remember which.).

Are they good? It didn't come with any hardware except to stick the toms on the bass.
    They are not bad drums at all. They would do fine, but I don't think you will find hardware to outfit it for $125.00

User Info Menu

Oh and by the way Truth, welcome to the drum forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    They are not bad drums at all. They would do fine, but I don't think you will find hardware to outfit it for $125.00
    I'll worry about that later...

User Info Menu

Be aware that the budget will be blown for sure. The other hardware that you're not getting, will be probably that much again($$), even used. I'm not talking about peripheal non-essentials either. The set will be be basically unplayable without them. Sure it is easy to use a kitchen stool for a throne and that...no prob...but what do you substitute for a hi-hat stand, cymbals, bass drum beater, etc...?
    My advice for you, Truth, is try to buy a kit "all inclusive", meaning at least the essentials to have a playable fully functioning kit.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 02-16-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: tpos

User Info Menu

That'll be a good deal mate...

But yes, Like BTD said....With only the rest of your money (125$)...You won't got any good hardware....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I found a cheaper kit, a Tama Swing Star Kit (Sizes are 20x16 bass, 10x9 tom, 12x11 tom, 14x14 floor, 12x3 metal shell tama picollo snare.) for 325.

This'll leave me 175. I found a SP Drum Hardware pack on musicians friend for 100. That'll leave me 75 dollars for a throne or what not.

Thoughts?