Thread: bass drum head problems.

User Info Menu

Exclamation bass drum head problems.

Hey.

This is my first post on Drum Chat. =p

So anyway , i have a Yamaha Yd series drum set that i purchased used on craigslist for $250. i noticed that the bass drum head had a 1" dent in it , but held off on replacing it, because i needed new cymbals first. i thought it would hold out for a little while.

i was wrong.

while i was practicing one day, i noticed that the bass drum was sounding very weird. i look down...... and the dent turned into A 3" hole!

i've gotten another bass head , a remo powerstroke 3.

how can i avoid getting other dent in the bass drum head? does it have to do with the tuning? or something else?

i know the obvious solution.... DONT HIT THE HEAD WITH EXTREME FORCE... even though i'm a beginner , i'm not that stupid lol.

any suggestions?

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: bass drum head problems.

Back in the day.......... us old timers used Dr. Scholls moleskin, cut into a circle and cemented to the head. Nowadays, you can buy a patch. I still prefer the leather moleskin. Its not clicky. But more than likely, you have nothing to worry about without a patch.

User Info Menu

lol ploughman thats wat i do!
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

the problem is probably having a cheap bass head that came with the new drumset, enough playing makes the beater really hot, and the thin plastic getting constantly pounded on, well you do the math

getting a quality head definitely helped and so would a remo falam slam. i have one on my bass head and you put it where the beater hits the head and it protects it without taking away any sound quality.

by the way: WELCOME TO DRUMCHAT!! its great to have you here, make yourself at home

User Info Menu

watch the beater how it hits the head. sometimes is needed to bent the beater.
    use a Remo fala slam
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

I'm one of those old dudes who remembers using Mole Skin. Last bass head I bought for the batter side was the Aquarian force 1. While there, I bought a Polymer patch and haven't used Mole Skin since. That head is about 4-5 years now and still punches and no dents. So, either a Patch or Mole Skin should help solve your problem...just don't be kicking the head without something to buffer the impact.

User Info Menu

thanks guys , i will remember to put a patch on lol.

and yes the bass head that i put a hole in is the original one... idk how old it is , i estimate at about 6 years old. it was a remo u2 series head (idk if they still make them, i doubt it)

Shazane Guest

The Powerstroke 3 will hold up.

User Info Menu

Aquarian super kick II are super durable bass drum heads. Original heads are usually pretty flimsy.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I use an Aquarian Super Kick II and I have never had any problem with the head being dented and I tend to play the bass pretty hard. I used a Remo Falam Patch once, but have since stopped since I don't like it making my bass drum sound like *click click*instead of *thump thump* like it should.

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

I can definitely recommend the Aquarian Super Kick II. Had one on my kit for ages and its still fine (although I don't hit particularly hard).

Going to be replacing with an Evans EMAD 2 pretty soon to see what I think of the Evans head. I've heard they are very durable too...
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

I have had one going on five years on my kick and it still looks reasonably new. They are great sounding and durable heads.

User Info Menu

Well, if you ever do decide to change your batter bass head, I really reccomend checking out Evans EMAD 2. The on head muffling system is great! Best bass head I've ever used in my opinion. Evans EMAD 2 with two black Evans EQ Patches is my exact bass head. Love it.

The other thing, make sure your bass pedal's beater is at the correct angle. Make sure the beater head is hitting at a nice 90* degree angle. If it's pointed down too much, it could potentially damage the head.

Also, welcome to Drum Chat!

All the best,
    -AC
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"