Thread: Vic Firth Drum Mutes

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth Drum Mutes

Vic Firth Drum Mutes.
    Okay, i bought these today
    It includes two toms, a floor tom, a snare ,and a bass cover.
    The cymbal covers include: one (1) Hi-hat, two (2) Ride/ crashes.
    Okay this will be short.It muted the cymbals well. The snare and toms were good. But the bass drum was way louder than the floor toms so all i could hear was bass and snare. All in all they are a convenient and pretty cheap(50 bucks) set of no-frills mutes.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vic Firth Drum Mutes

Hmm..mutes for 50 bucks ??

I think that was a good deal...
    Btw Cograts !!!
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

i got some when i first got my kit, but i don't use them anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jguzman361 View Post
    i got some when i first got my kit, but i don't use them anymore.
    I did the same they sit in a box under the bed. I prefer to use ear plugs, and the wife doesn't mind too much
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I don't use earplugs or mutes, I plan on going deaf by the age of 19.

User Info Menu

Just add more stuffing in the bass drum when you use the mutes!

User Info Menu

I suppose what I recently purchased would be called mutes but, I've referred to them as drum set pads. Mine came with a 14' for the snare, 12" and 13" for toms, 16" for floor tom and a 20" for my bass. Also included are two for ride and crash cymbals and one for the hi-hat. I bought these so I wouldn't disturb the household when I want to practice. What I like about them is that they produce a distinct tone on each drum so I can hear what I am doing and also because they do not rebound which gives me a stronger work out for my hands...kind of like playing single strokes on a pillow. Probably not for everybody but I am kind of a drum gadget guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeey View Post
    I don't use earplugs or mutes, I plan on going deaf by the age of 19.
    Thing is you dont go deaf you just have this real annoying high pitch tone in between your ears, 24-7, I recommend industrial strenght ear protection, the kit sounds amazing with a set of these on, wear em.

User Info Menu

I have a set of Vic Firth drum mutes but I don't use them much anymore. I had them when we lived in an apartment but we are now in a house on a ranch and I can play on forever.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Thing is you dont go deaf you just have this real annoying high pitch tone in between your ears, 24-7, I recommend industrial strenght ear protection, the kit sounds amazing with a set of these on, wear em.
    And that hi pitch distroys your sybalence range which means you cant hear distinguishing sounds in vocals and cant hear what anyone says unless its dead silent. I have such a hard time at work coz of that sometimes.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I have the HQ Sound Off pads - very similar. I can still hear the tone of each drum, but there is no resonance whatsoever obviously. But I live in a condo, so when I want to practice they're great. My neighbors might hear a dull distant thumping if they don't have the tv or music on, but that's about it. Great solution when you need to keep the volume down.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

If you aren't concerned with neighbors, the Vic Firth Isolation headphones work wonders for recording and practicing.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I also bought a set of mutes by Vater. I also had the same issue with the Bass drum not being muted properly. I was told by another drummer to stuff my bass drums with blankets and/or towels to mute the sound. I haven't tried it yet but I may consider it if neighbors or my wife complain.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the HQ Sound Off pads - very similar. I can still hear the tone of each drum, but there is no resonance whatsoever obviously. But I live in a condo, so when I want to practice they're great. My neighbors might hear a dull distant thumping if they don't have the tv or music on, but that's about it. Great solution when you need to keep the volume down.

That's what I said. too...

I suppose what I recently purchased would be called mutes but, I've referred to them as drum set pads. Mine came with a 14' for the snare, 12" and 13" for toms, 16" for floor tom and a 20" for my bass. Also included are two for ride and crash cymbals and one for the hi-hat. I bought these so I wouldn't disturb the household when I want to practice. What I like about them is that they produce a distinct tone on each drum so I can hear what I am doing and also because they do not rebound which gives me a stronger work out for my hands...kind of like playing single strokes on a pillow. Probably not for everybody but I am kind of a drum gadget guy.

User Info Menu

Yes you did, and I agree with you 100%. I was basically reinforcing your comments.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

A cheap way fof muting the kit is a follows. Remove one of the heads and fill the drum with those polystirine chips (i think its called styraphone in the USA) thats used for packaging. This kills a lot of the volume while still giving you stick response of a real drum. This of couse is a time consuming practice if you intend to use your kit as normal as well as practice.

For the kick, try getting a towel or cloth, fold it into a small square and tape this to the inside of the kick head where the beater connects. You would need to kill the reso as well so stuff a blanket or something similar into the drum. If the kick is still too loud, try taping the square of cloth to the batter head. you lose the response but it works

For cymbals again get a cloth, fold it uo and tape it to the underside of the cymbal.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I have the Sound Off mutes. I don't use them. I will use hot rods and heel down. It isn't nearly as loud that way, I usually play like that if I am behind the kit after 8pm, which isn't all the time. I usually play 5 - 7pm. No complaints or death threats from the neighbors!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I have the Sound Off mutes. I don't use them. I will use hot rods and heel down. It isn't nearly as loud that way, I usually play like that if I am behind the kit after 8pm, which isn't all the time. I usually play 5 - 7pm. No complaints or death threats from the neighbors!
    Well no death threats is a good thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Well no death threats is a good thing!

Yeah really. I do use common sense when playing. One of my neighbors loves to wake up to Slayer on the weekends. We has toned that down, maybe he got the death threats!

User Info Menu

I'm planning on getting "mutes"/"mufflers" for my kit, as I'm moving in with some friends. They don't mind, but I want to respect the neighbors, as I'm the new "kid" there. It's going to cost a few hundred dollars because I'm doing my entire kit's current set-up....
    14 drums, 10 cymbals, 2 sets of hats, and aprox. 10 - 17 pieces of percussion.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction