Thread: Crash Cymbal Rebound

User Info Menu

Default Crash Cymbal Rebound

Hey, just looking for some suggestions. On my set I've got a decent variety of cymbals, a couple crashes, china, splash, ride, you know. But for the style of music I play, kinda rock/metalcore, you know lots of keeping your time on a crash, I have trouble with rebound. Like there's still too much movement goin on from one crash when it comes time for the next. I've tried to watch some drummer vids to see what's up and they get alot of sound and alot of times pretty much wail on the cymbal but it never seems to go crazy like mine does. So do you think it's a technique issue, do I need to hit more down onto the cymbal with more of the shaft as opposed to the edge? Or do I just need a bigger, thicker cymbal? If so what would be a good model to look at? Preferrably zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crash Cymbal Rebound

LL4L, I'm going to let some of the more experience guys help with this one, but I did want to say welocme to Drum Chat! I have no doubt that you will get the help you're looking for.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think that can be pretty easily solved be adding another cymbal felt to the top of the cymbal to control movement.

User Info Menu

Oh and welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by liveloud4life View Post
    Hey, just looking for some suggestions. On my set I've got a decent variety of cymbals, a couple crashes, china, splash, ride, you know. But for the style of music I play, kinda rock/metalcore, you know lots of keeping your time on a crash, I have trouble with rebound. Like there's still too much movement goin on from one crash when it comes time for the next. I've tried to watch some drummer vids to see what's up and they get alot of sound and alot of times pretty much wail on the cymbal but it never seems to go crazy like mine does. So do you think it's a technique issue, do I need to hit more down onto the cymbal with more of the shaft as opposed to the edge? Or do I just need a bigger, thicker cymbal? If so what would be a good model to look at? Preferrably zildjian
    Welcome LiveLoud...
    Lots of things affect this like the size of the hole of the cymbal as it relates to the cymbal rod, the consistency of the felt (how soft or hard), the size of the hole of the felt, how tight the wing screw is, the weight of the cymbal, the diameter of the felts, how many felts, whether or not the felts rest on the cymbal rod or a plastic "T" thingy (can't remember what you call it), and so on. Getting a new cymbal is most likely "not" the solution. It's usually one of those other smaller things. If you like the sound of your cymbals, hang on to them. This is probably nothing but a $2 fix at best. Just experiment a little.

User Info Menu

All good advice drummer!

User Info Menu

Hello LiveLoud....
    Nice to meet you...

I think Drummer was Completly answer your question...
    But I think the best way to solve your problem is to tighten your (what it called ?) *your Cymbals Tilter*...For minimalize the movement of the Crash....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

welcome LL4L.
    You already have the answer. Tight the wing screw
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Agreed, tighten the wing nut on the cymbal stand or add another felt.

Another factor, although I'm not sure it's a very practical one for you ,as you don't want to spend a ton of money on this problem, is the fact that they may be using a heavier cymbal. Naturally, an A Custom cymbal by Zildjian (which is pretty thin) will have more movement to it when struck than a Z Custom (which is pretty thick). They may be using thicker cymbals as well.

But for now, if you do indeed like the sound of your cymbals, don't buy new ones because they move too much. Tighten the wing nut and add a felt.

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Crash Cymbal Rebound

Try An Aquarian Cymbal Spring
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Wow, Ive never got such a warm welcome on an internet forum before. I'll definitely be coming here whenever I have questions on anything. As for the responses I'm glad this seems to be such an easy fix and thanks so much for the feedback.

User Info Menu

Welcome LL4L...So, that's why I see so many felt pads on cymbal stands...that, indeed, would help to cut down on the excessive movement you describe. Be careful, though, not to over tingthen the wing nut, your cymbal still has to have some room to move.

User Info Menu

i use an 18" zildjian A medium crash (pretty heavy cymbal) for these kinds of crash/ride open chorus parts. technique is important. you cant really play it like a heavy ride cymbal or hi hats. you have to make sure your stroke does not follow thru. you want to "pull" the sound out of the cymbal not "beat" it out.

User Info Menu

Up strokes not down strokes, like playin timpini. That's a good tip. I figured that it couldn't all be an equipment issue. All these suggestions seem like such common sense, I don't know why I never thought to try them before.

User Info Menu

A thicker felt should solve the problem

User Info Menu

One thing you could try is to try and deliver the same amount of power with each stroke,mostly from the wrist as though playing a hi-hat sizzle. As the other guys have said, pay attention to how the cymbal is mounted,watch how much movement is generated and adjust accordingly by adding/removing felts, wing nut tension. I have found the best position to play crash/rides are to strike the cymbal with the shoulder of the stick. If you use this technique a lot when playing, a medium 16" crash would suit or try a 14" china.

Cheers.