Thread: Buying a new snare drum

User Info Menu

Default Buying a new snare drum

I have narrowed it down to two choices, the Pork Pie Little Squealer Maple Snare Drum (12X5 Inches), or the Pork Pie Acrylic Snare Drum with Black Powder Hardware (Clear 6x14 Inches). I play mainly classic rock with a little punk and metal thrown in. If anyone has played either one of these drums I would love some help deciding!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying a new snare drum

Really peach I think the 12" is a little small and I would imagine high pitched for classic rock especially if it is only 5" deep. I would go with the 14".

User Info Menu

I agree. Given that Classic Rock is your main focus, BTD hit it right on the head, as he usually does.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks for the advice, I have never actually have heard an acrylic snare drum so I had no idea what to expect... if anyone has a suggestion for other snare drums (in the $100-$250 price range) I would love all the help I can get
    Last edited by peachyplace; 02-18-2008 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Trust me when I say that you will get it! Welcome to Drum Chat Peachyplace!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey, I just joined. Luckily, I own a 14x6 Pork Pie Acrylic snare - the exact snare you are thinking about.

My experience with the snare has been nothing but amazing. I play Rock/Indie/Alternative music and it has more than exceeded my expectations for that type of music. It's basically all in how you tune the snare and what kind of head you put on it.

I have an Evans HD Dry head on it and an Evans Resonant on the bottom with some PureSound snares. I have that top head nice and tight and it's amazing with response and crack.

Acrylic is an interesting material. Not quite like Maple and not quite like Birch or Mahogany. From what I've heard it has the attack of birch or another hard wood but the warmth of maple.

I'm not trying to plug my band, but we've recorded some and I've used nothing but my Pork Pie snare for all of the recordings. If you want to hear what it sounds like hit up: www.myspace.com/thevercos All of those songs, minus the last one were recorded with my Pork Pie snare with no other effects on it.

To summarize, it's a good snare and I'm not sure you can go wrong with it. If you check on eBay you may be able to pick one up for around $100. They're always on there.

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

thanks a ton man, I guess I know which one I am getting!

User Info Menu

Glad to help. Also, another thing with the snare is its versatility. You can tighten the batter head - like I do, or you can keep it tuned lower and looser and have a nice deep crack to it. It really is a great snare. I keep mine tight because I like more sensitivity to do ghost notes or things like that, but it's perfect the other way too.
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

I play mostly rock, hard rock and i picked the Tama metalworks snare 6.5x13. It has a nice loud pop to it. The Pork pie is nice also, but i found the tama to be a little louder which is what i wanted. Here is a link to them if you want to check them out.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Met...03-i1168735.gc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peachyplace View Post
    thanks for the advice, I have never actually have heard an acrylic snare drum so I had no idea what to expect... if anyone has a suggestion for other snare drums (in the $100-$250 price range) I would love all the help I can get
    Peachy,

I would suggest taking a trip to your local Guitar Center to test drive a couple different ones , before you make up your mind . Good luck .

User Info Menu

check the Black Panther snares (Mapex) (very good reputation)
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

i like acylic snares tuned fairly low. i regularly play a well tuned 14x5 vista snare at a local open jam (on a vista kit i am thinking of buying btw). it definatly makes me think classic rock every time i hear it. so i think the 14x6 pork pie acrylic will be a pretty good choice. plus they are pretty cheap priced.

User Info Menu

i played an acrylic snare and it sounded like snot and i hated it :(.... but it is the better sized one
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters