Thread: Question: What drum to substitute...

User Info Menu

Question Question: What drum to substitute...

First of all, this is my first post. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

I am switching to a 4-pc maple kit. I have always had "cheap" 5-pc entry kits, but it's time to move up.

My question is what would you guys suggest when using drum tabs, sheet music, books, transcriptions, etc. that have 3 toms charted, since I will now just have 2? What would you use when a mid tom is called for if just using a rack tom and a floor tom.

The kit I am getting is the Ludwig Classic Maple Fab 4 (can't wait!). Also I use Zildjian A Armand series cymbals. What can I say, I love vintage looks & sound.

Thanks again...Peace

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question: What drum to substitute...

Hey luddy ,welcome to the board , there isnt much you can do about it except split it up between your 2 toms. BTW ,congrats on the classic Ludwigs .

User Info Menu

welcome 2 the site dude, and good job upgrading.

just experiment, like when your practicing, play whatever your playing on one of the toms, then the next time around try it on the floor tom. which ever you like more, do that. hope that helps
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

thanks...i will post pics when they get here. the good thing about having gotten the classic maple set, as opposed to the accent series, besides the obvious quality of the shells, is that i can add another rack tom or floor tom later if i want to. i'll just see how it feels. have nothing but good about the kit though, and it sounded great the little bit i got to play it in my local store.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the new kit Luddy! I agree with the others; just experiment, and have fun with it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

That mid tom can be substituted with lots of other things, a cymbal, the snare, kick. You could advance the floor tom into the mid tom position and play the floor tom on your kick instead. You could play both the high and floor tom as the mid tom part then move to the floor tom or whatever the next part is.

that's a coupe of ideas
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

Shazane Guest

there are many ways you can do it. I've had to play 4 tom parts on only 3 toms before.

Say you have the basic fill here:
    Code:
    T1|--oo----|
    T2|----oo--|
    T3|------oo|
     S|oo------|
    You could do it like this:
    Code:
    T1|--ooo---|
    T2|-----ooo|
     S|oo------|
    or like this:
    Code:
    T1|--oo----| 
    T2|----oo--|
     S|oo------|
     B|------oo|
    To name a few.

By the way everyone, I've just realized we can use the CODE tags to post tabs without spacing issues! I've used it on programming forums but it just occurred to me that it would work perfectly here.

User Info Menu

thanks alot guys, that helps alot.

User Info Menu

Another suggestion; this one will require some wrist build up, but if you accent all that you're supposed to do on a tom you don't have with a tom that is a smaller sound, you'll get a fill that sounds pretty close to what you want.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

thanks Ethel...yea, i'm thinkin' the switch is going to require the use of more dynamics...such as accenting, like you mentioned.

it will be the best kit i have ever owned, so i'll adapt!!! plus, i like the compact setup...

14x22 bass
    9x13 tom
    16x16 floor tom
    6.5x14 snare

14" hats, 20" ride, 2 16" crashes - 1 thin, 1 med. thin

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.