Thread: Should I plan to muffle?

User Info Menu

Default Should I plan to muffle?

I have a Ludwig Classic Maple kit on the way. It comes with Ludwig's WeatherMaster heads, of which I know nothing, except that they are medium coated.

I spent everything I had to spare for now on the drums & hardware, so getting new heads right now is not an option.

Is anyone familiar with these heads, or have a general opinion, on whether I will need to muffle some overtones?

If so, what is a good product? The "ring" types, drum gum, etc.?

Thanks

- luddy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Should I plan to muffle?

Hey Luddy, I think it's all about what sounds best to you. I'm not familiar with WeatherMaster heads, although I think they might be a one ply head.

Some people are all about muffling drum heads with MoonGel or Remo Ring-O's or anything else like that. Personally, I can't stand it when people muffle their drums to the point where they sound like cardboard boxes. It's almost the same sound they get out of their drums when they put on the hydraulic heads from Evans or Aquarian (no offense to anyone who owns these heads).

If I were you, I would take the time to make sure that the heads are seated properly on your drums and that they are tuned as well as you can tune them. Most of the time ringing or overtones can be fixed with just a couple of minutes of going around the drum kit and tuning all your drums.

If you HAVE TO muffle your kit, I would suggest the MoonGel. You can cut these up to get the right amount of muffling and you can try placing them in all different spots on your drum head. Again, I'm a much bigger proponent of taking the time to tune your heads. I only carry MoonGel to use when I'm recording in case there's an overtone or nasty ring that I can't get out quickly that is messing up the tapes.

Again, it's all up to you. I would suggest trying out the heads and tuning them yourselves before you start slapping mufflers on them.

-Jon
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

I agree with Jon. Don't start worrying yet. Learn to tune the drums first (which will take a little time), and then live with the sound a bit. You might find that you like it - I did. I thought I would be a Remo Pinstripe guy, but I found that I loved the sound of my drums after I got them tuned. The drums just sing, and everyone who hears them loves the sound. Remember, the drums sound different to those who hear them, than they do to the one sitting on the throne.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hi Luddy....welcome....patience my friend, I'm sure that the heads will be adequate until you can research and decide to replace them later. I had 1 of the ludwig heads on the front of my bass, (evans on batter) and the only reason I changed it is because I decided to go all Remo instead of each drum having mixed heads..as mentioned,if your drums are tuned properly you might not have to muffle at all
    hope your drums arrive soon.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Weather master heads were the Ludwig version of Remo Ambassador heads, which are coated single ply. They were made by remo for Ludwig. If they are in good shape they will sound open and warm. As has been previously posted you can dampen them with moon gel or rings should you desire. If it were me I would leave them alone and let them sing.

User Info Menu

Hey Luddy, show us a picture of your drums once they arrive. I'd like to see them.
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

ThePloughman Guest

Before you start with the tape, quadruple thick pinstripes and muffle rings...... Play them out. In a real live setting. Work with the tuning. Dont try to kill all the ring.... it supports projection. Listen to them from 20 feet away. And remember bonhams sound. No muffling.

User Info Menu

i'm with these guys. i like single ply coated heads with no muffling. as mentioned, alot of drummers tend to think of how a drum sounds from behind the kit instead of out front with a whole band. that annoying ring most people complain about, is the resonance, tone, and projection in an amped setting.

User Info Menu

just see what they sound like first, and then try to get them how you want them by whatever method that may be

User Info Menu

btw congrats on a new kit. luddy classic maples are tasy.

User Info Menu

sounds good. pretty much a unanimous decision!

yep, will post pics as soon as i get 'em...may be a couple months, i dunno. they claim 90-120 days but i find that a little long. everything was in stock, so...

yeah, i hear ya on Bonzo. most of my faves from similar anyway...Bonzo, Ginger Baker, Ringo, Mitch Mitchell, etc...

User Info Menu

well, just just a call...six weeks til i get my new kit. bummer...guess i'll just be 6 weeks worth a better player when i get them though lol

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

I've used the WeatherMasters on my kit and now have them on the bottoms of my toms with Remo Pinstripes on top. The weatherMaster is a single ply head and not a bad one at that. It is resonant and will sound out...if that is what you want. I happen to play with a 17 pc. big band and drums that ring out to much are not appreciated. The Pinstripes have an internal muffle ring and I also use Moon Gel. I can hit as hard as I need to to get the Thunder when I need it and still have a very melodic pitch on the toms when playing Sambas and Bossa Novas. So, just as so many here have advised, enjoy your lit when you get it and become familiar with it. If the heads are to loud for you, get some insulation foam weather stripping, a couple of bucks, and stick a piece or two on the heads to experiment. These will come off easiliy too. By the way, I have a set of Ludwigs I bought in 1964 and they look as great and sound as terrific as they did back then. Quality drums are for Life...never forget that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luddy71 View Post
    well, just just a call...six weeks til i get my new kit. bummer...guess i'll just be 6 weeks worth a better player when i get them though lol
    Six weeks is nothing buddy, thay will be here before you know it!

User Info Menu

SIX WHOLE WEEKS!!!!! 42 days!!! thats forever!!

jk that will go by in no time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    SIX WHOLE WEEKS!!!!! 42 days!!! thats forever!!

jk that will go by in no time
    No it won't it will be agony!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Should I plan to muffle?

Luddy.congrats....i Have A Ludwig Classic Kit 3 Ply Poplar/maple/poplar Made 03/23/1972 Chrome Overlay....beautiful Looking And Sounding!!!!it Originally Had Weathermaster Heads....i Have Changed To All Aquarian "super 2's" On All Drums And Its Perfect For Them....unfortunately My Drumroom Is So Small I Cant Take Apicture (except In Pieces)of 11 Drums And 22 Cymbals....simply Imagine Large Mirrors And Alot Of Hardware And Cymbals....feel Free To Email Me For Any Questions.....again" The Prize" Is Worth The Wait....lookin Foward To The Pics
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Before you start with the tape, quadruple thick pinstripes and muffle rings...... Play them out. In a real live setting. Work with the tuning. Dont try to kill all the ring.... it supports projection. Listen to them from 20 feet away. And remember bonhams sound. No muffling.
    HOLA Como Estas THEPLOUGHMAN* ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER*
    EXDELLENT *POINT*LOVE IT**GRACIAS