Thread: Snare Drum

User Info Menu

Default Snare Drum

Whenever I hit my high tom my snares rattle to an extent where it sounds almost like a second snare. Any ways on fixing this? I tried tightening my snares, that didn't help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Drum

Mikeey there are a couple things to try first try and tighten the snares a bit also some time you can change the tone/pitch of the tom and it will help !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I need to find something to get the snares tighter. I can't pull them properly with my teeth.

User Info Menu

Sometimes tightening the bottom head of the tom to a little higher tension than the top head will reduce the amount of harmonious vibration changing the sympathetic buzz that you are getting. One way to test this is to push the bottom head with your finger while striking the tom and listen to the snare buzz and see if it changes with more or less tension on the head with your finger, and then re-tune the tom accordingly. When both heads are tunned to the same pitch there can sometimes be more vibration. By changing the the tension on one head (usually the resonant head) there isn't as much vibration between the two heads and thereby reducing the snare buzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeey View Post
    I need to find something to get the snares tighter. I can't pull them properly with my teeth.
    The snare doesn't need to be that tight or you will just choke the drum, I would work on the tom first if it were me.

ThePloughman Guest

1. Make, Model, size, shell composition, throwoff and how does your throw adjustment relate to your snare tension.
    2. Top head,
    3. Bottom head.
    4. Tension top and bottom
    5. Wires............ are they straight and flat? Or do they twist up and curl like a snake when you let them loose?
    Maybe we can help you.
    But without some of that information..... about all anyone can tell you is to buy a new drum. Or take that one to someone who can fix it.

User Info Menu

Plough is correct, I was assuming that the snare was in perfect working order itself. There is allot of things that cause the problem you have described so you are going to have to work through each issue an rule them out one by one.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 02-19-2008 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Plough, I'll try and do those things when I get back from hockey. I don't know much about the snare, I just know it's the snare for the Tama Swingstar.