Thread: Wedge (monitor) Buzz

User Info Menu

Default Wedge (monitor) Buzz

Ever have a monitor too close or even when it isn't, buzz the crap out of your snare? Some say to loosen the two lugs on each side of the snares, but are there better tips out there? And I know, in-ears are the way to go, but how about any other tips?

User Info Menu

the higher quality snare systems don't buzz as much....unfortunatly i can't afford a high quality snare so i just made the snares a little tighter by duck tapeing the first inch or so of the snare strings...that helps my snare alot...and it sounds better over all because you only hear the strings then and you don't hear the metal part that holds the strings together...if that makes any sense...

User Info Menu

That's known a "sympathetic vibration". The sound waves from the monitor cause the bottom head to vibrate at the same rate as the monitor speaker. It's pretty much "the nature of the beast". Mutt Lang will make sure it doesn't end up on your CD !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    the higher quality snare systems don't buzz as much....unfortunatly i can't afford a high quality snare so i just made the snares a little tighter by duck tapeing the first inch or so of the snare strings...that helps my snare alot...and it sounds better over all because you only hear the strings then and you don't hear the metal part that holds the strings together...if that makes any sense...
    when u say duct taping the first inch, u mean like taping the snares to the head, or just wrapping tape around the snares in that first inch.
    tape on both sides?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    ...Mutt Lang will make sure it doesn't end up on your CD !
    should we talk about his wife. it'd make better conversation.
    max

User Info Menu

Oh God am I in love with her!! She's dreamy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baw_Drummer
    when u say duct taping the first inch, u mean like taping the snares to the head, or just wrapping tape around the snares in that first inch.
    tape on both sides?

only tape on the bottom head...and just use a small piece of tape over that first inch of strings...after doing that i didn't lose all the rattle but most of it to the point where only I can hear it and it's not annoying

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    Ever have a monitor too close or even when it isn't, buzz the crap out of your snare? Some say to loosen the two lugs on each side of the snares, but are there better tips out there? And I know, in-ears are the way to go, but how about any other tips?
    well in my case, my snare buzzes the crap out of my monitor (when i hit it of course)

User Info Menu

I use a Hot Spot moniter that mounts directly onto my drum rack by my hats. No rattles or buzzes at all! The only way to go if you don't want an in ear system.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads