Thread: hello all!!got a question bout self teaching

User Info Menu

Default hello all!!got a question bout self teaching

ok so i started my drumming in 7th grade.went to purcussion class for about a year,learned some stuff on the bell kit and practice pad.

so yes i know a few rudements but i feel i can learn more.i tired of trying to learn drum fills off the internet...i need somthing new

ive been playing on and off 5 years. got the mini monster book of rock drumiing im on the 2nd page haha

any advice from any drum teachers on what i should learn next??? please help
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

"the beat flows through me"

Shazane Guest

Default Re: hello all!!got a question bout self teaching

If you're tired of learning fills from the internet, then write your own, you're probably capable by now.

User Info Menu

The best thing is to find some guys to jam with, of roughly the same skill level, and learn to feel music and groove. It sounds like you already have a good head start.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Please don't take this the wrong way as I do not wish to disparge your question. I am a former high school band director, private drum teacher, drum corps line instructor and arranger. I am a staunch believer in lessons and instruction. You sau that you've been playing off and on for 5 years. Which is it? More Off then On? Drumming is a fantastic hobby or avocation. It allows us to explore what's inside our minds and hearts and express what we find in a musical way. It is more than just beating two sticks on a set and claiming to be a player. Rudiments are nothing more than stick patterns and they are essential to properly playing the drum set. John Bonham was a phenom with rudiments around the set just as is Steve Smith, Steve Gadd, Dennis Chambers and all the other greats with Travis Barker being one of the very finest. What I strongly urge you to consider is to find a teacher with whom you can feel comfortable with about learning. They are out there and greatly wanting to share their knowledge with you. If you do and you have the tenacity, I can guarantee that you will never regret it.

User Info Menu

BTW, welcome to the Drum forum. In here you will find a great deal of support and positive interaction. With regards to me earlier reply, I probably tend to get on my "Soap box" about lessons and teaching but, I mean it to be in a positive way. I offer myself as an example. I started playing at age 13. That was 48 years ago and I'm still playing and learning. I was very lucky in that I found a teacher who taught me that I can continue to learn beyond my time with him. He was right and it is my priviledge to pay that forward.

User Info Menu

any advice from any drum teachers on what i should learn next??? please help
    Thats a lot of things in the drummin world that you can never imagine before, mate....
    So my advice is found a subject that stole your attention....
    Do it over and over again.....
    If you have mastered it, found another subject.....

Drummin never bored as long as you have a will.....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

ok all your advice sounds to me good thankyou
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way as I do not wish to disparge your question. I am a former high school band director, private drum teacher, drum corps line instructor and arranger. I am a staunch believer in lessons and instruction. You sau that you've been playing off and on for 5 years. Which is it? More Off then On? Drumming is a fantastic hobby or avocation. It allows us to explore what's inside our minds and hearts and express what we find in a musical way. It is more than just beating two sticks on a set and claiming to be a player. Rudiments are nothing more than stick patterns and they are essential to properly playing the drum set. John Bonham was a phenom with rudiments around the set just as is Steve Smith, Steve Gadd, Dennis Chambers and all the other greats with Travis Barker being one of the very finest. What I strongly urge you to consider is to find a teacher with whom you can feel comfortable with about learning. They are out there and greatly wanting to share their knowledge with you. If you do and you have the tenacity, I can guarantee that you will never regret it.

ya u got me ive been playing more off than on...but im going strong now i practice just about every day!
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

User Info Menu

The #1 reason that I chose to take lessons with a teacher was for accountability. It's a lot easier to skip some practice time, if it's only abount your own expectations. When you have a teacher, though, you know the next lesson is coming, and the teacher will expect you to have put in the practice time (and they will recognize it if you didn't). I have so many work responsibilities that I needed a teacher to keep me from being "too tired to practice" at night.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Talking Re: hello all!!got a question bout self teaching

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The #1 reason that I chose to take lessons with a teacher was for accountability. It's a lot easier to skip some practice time, if it's only abount your own expectations. When you have a teacher, though, you know the next lesson is coming, and the teacher will expect you to have put in the practice time (and they will recognize it if you didn't). I have so many work responsibilities that I needed a teacher to keep me from being "too tired to practice" at night.
    You are absolutely correct aboout the expectations that come from having a teacher, PB. I used that same logic when I decided to do something about my weight. I was 275lbs 26 years ago. I joined NutriSystem because I neded that weekly accountability. I am now 200 lbs and have been that way all this time except for when I quit smoking 9 years ago. I gained some but knew how to get rid of it.

User Info Menu

Advice well taken. I still remain to my guns though. I measure the greatness of a drummer by how well he integrates in the music. Drums is not typically a solo instrument in say the way a piano or guitar is. Technical knowledge and prowess are important to be sure, but should not be at the expense of musicality. I believe that in conjunction to a disciplined teaching and practice regimen, one should be playing drums with other musicians. Remember....experience is the best teacher.

all the best...

User Info Menu

How is your independence? have you studied any material to improve it?
    can you play left hand clave while the right hand does eigth notes for example? how many rudiments do you have down smoothly? Do you play any odd time signatures? Just learning to swing can be real fun. Learning and playing is only limited by one thing.......YOU.
    We all get in a rut from time to time and if drumming is in your blood then you will find a way out of it I'm sure.
    If you just want to keep it fun and not get too serious then I recommend other players to jam with or another drummer to bounce ideas off. If you want to become a pro then lessons and a teacher you click with is a must. keep the beat buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    can you play left hand clave
    hey one of the problems with self teaching is you dont lern the lingo so i have to ask ratmycue what is that?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

lol thanks yall. and yes i said yall, i cant help it.im from the dirty south texas!
    PDP
    paiste high hat
    paiste 18" crash/ride
    zildjian 10" splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    hey one of the problems with self teaching is you dont lern the lingo so i have to ask ratmycue what is that?
    its a spanish word which means key, it is a [feel or sort of time/pulse found in cuban african rhythms. there are different clave's which emphasise different feels, the best way to explain is to show I guess so here is a you tube link to a maestro of the clave. He is playing the rhumba clave with his left foot [kick on cowbell] then he shows his complete independence with his hands.
    Im sure you have already played a samba or other latin feel tunes so you are already doing the clave . Its just nice to have an understanding of what you are doing sometimes eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fQU...eature=related

User Info Menu

Cool Re: hello all!!got a question bout self teaching

Quote Originally Posted by circask8r689 View Post
    lol thanks yall. and yes i said yall, i cant help it.im from the dirty south texas!
    Hey, circask8r, y'all's okay with me, brother! (I have relatives in the Missouri Bootheel, northeast Arkansas and in western Tennessee, so this bongo-banger's got more of the South in him than ya think!)

Now back to your question: Have ya checked DrumBum for its links to rudiment pages? You don't say how many rudiments you picked up, but it's not a bad idea to review them. And I'm with Frank (fiacovaz) on how a teacher keeps you accountable. I still take a lesson at least twice a month from my drum teacher...even after nearly 23 1/2 years, I still learn things from him that I didn't know before. (Admittedly now, he's as much a friend and a brother drummer now as anything else, and it's cheaper therapy than goin' to a bar! )
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

its a spanish word which means key, it is a [feel or sort of time/pulse found in cuban african rhythms. there are different clave's which emphasise different feels, the best way to explain is to show I guess so here is a you tube link to a maestro of the clave. He is playing the rhumba clave with his left foot [kick on cowbell] then he shows his complete independence with his hands.
    Im sure you have already played a samba or other latin feel tunes so you are already doing the clave . Its just nice to have an understanding of what you are doing sometimes eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fQU...eature=related
    thank you

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

No prob Davie, So do you play much latin feel stuff? if not try this to test your independence using the simple rumba Clave on the left hand and straight 8th notes on the right. its fun once you get it down, move the clave to your right hand and left hand 8th notes. took me a while buti I now have it down , all I need now is the bass hits and more independence on the right side. plus I cannot hold down the left foot clave yet and its been a while!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Upn...eature=related
    Last edited by ratmycue; 03-16-2008 at 06:25 PM.

User Info Menu

i would say learn that book you have. Then mix up with some kit work. Both playing beats and jamming to your favorite songs. That will let you pic up little bits and pieces.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

No prob Davie, So do you play much latin feel stuff? if not try this to test your independence using the simple rumba Clave on the left hand and straight 8th notes on the right. its fun once you get it down, move the clave to your right hand and left hand 8th notes. took me a while buti I now have it down , all I need now is the bass hits and more independence on the right side. plus I cannot hold down the left foot clave yet and its been a while!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Upn...eature=related
    ive never realy liked latin stuff just becasue i dont (no idea why i just dont like it) but its still a cool technique that could be usefull in other ganeras