Thread: Newest member of the 2 up 2 down club

User Info Menu

Default Newest member of the 2 up 2 down club

Well after scowering the internet I was able to find a Gretsch Birch 16X16 floor tom to match my kit, and it arrived today. This is one drum purchase I don't think I'm going to regret. having the second floor tom, really seems to have expanded what I can do on the kit. More options for fills, and the range of the kit is expanded. With the second floor tom to cover the low end, I was able to raise the pitch of the other toms slightly. Now the drums really sing. I had to play piano for a church service tonight, and it's a little late now to play, so I've only had about an hour on the set with the new drum, I can't wait until tomorrow to really give it a workout.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Newest member of the 2 up 2 down club

HOLA COMO ESTAS CHURCH DRUMMER *ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) THATS FANTASTIC *& A very Smooth Hot SOUND.. It
    will Enhance to your CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTISTRY * GREAT NEWS *
    GRACIAS **

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Newest member of the 2 up 2 down club

Congrats, Church Drummer! Sounds like you ARE gonna give it a major workout, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newest member of the 2 up 2 down club

nice i think 2 up 2 down would be awesome if i had more toms

User Info Menu

Congratualtions CD!!! Gretsch and 2 up and 2 down! What could be better! Enjoy tomorrow!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i gotta 16 floor tom and there so deep and boomy. lots and lots of fun hope you get some good beats with that.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Congratulations for your new buying Church Drummer...

Hope u like the stuff !!
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Do you know if there were any available floor tom sizes for the Catalina Elite birch? I found a bunch of results for just birch Catalina but not the Elite's. I think the difference may be the size... My deepest tom is mounted and at 14x12 and I wasn't sure whether going to a 16x16 would be wise in terms of tonal range. Congrats btw
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Do you know if there were any available floor tom sizes for the Catalina Elite birch? I found a bunch of results for just birch Catalina but not the Elite's. I think the difference may be the size... My deepest tom is mounted and at 14x12 and I wasn't sure whether going to a 16x16 would be wise in terms of tonal range. Congrats btw
    i go from 14x11 (mounted) to 16x16 floor toms. it works out fine for me. i also have a 15x14 FT but dont think it matches up with the 14x11 as well in the tonal range as the 16x16. at least not with a 10", 12", 14" "fusion" sized config. i use the 15" and 16" when i play 12" and 13" rack toms.

User Info Menu

Although I don't want to hijack this thread, I thought it might be the right place for a comment, rather than starting a whole new thread just for a comment. Some of us with the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit were hoping that Gretsch might come out with an add-on 8" tom this year, but I just got an email from their customer service and they have decided against it, since they can't guarantee that the finish on the add-ons would match the current kits. Too bad!

CD, I know that the Catalina birch kit was being sold as a 3 up, and 1 down configuartion of a while. Now that you have found a 16X16 tom, have you considered trying to find an 8" tom for your kit?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

congradulations CD on the purchase, enjoy your kit!

User Info Menu

i was thinking about that 8" too. once you get locked into playing more than 5 drums, you start to get da "big kit fever". once that sets in... the 8" add on is the only logical way to go. you will not be happy without it.

i love the 3 up 2 dow setup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I'm not sure but you can check, I found mine at Music123.com.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    CD, I know that the Catalina birch kit was being sold as a 3 up, and 1 down configuartion of a while. Now that you have found a 16X16 tom, have you considered trying to find an 8" tom for your kit?
    I thought about the 8", but the Birch set is kind of bright sounding, I thougth the 16" was a better option, they do seem to have some of the 8" left, and I believe they are discounting them also. I got 10% off on the floor tom, because it was a discontinued item.

User Info Menu

I have an 8"on my kit and really I don't use it that often, it is high pitched and looses projection unless it is close miced. It is fine but really if I didn't have it, knowing what I know about it now I wouldn't miss it at all.

User Info Menu

That's very good to know CD, and BTD!

User Info Menu

Well last night I got to really play on it, having that extra low tone, is really great, and having extra tom, I don't have to use the snare to do a four drum fill It's great to have the extra flexibility. I really glad I went for it, and was able to find one!!