Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moongel users

User Info Menu

Default Moongel users

i have never bought moon gel before. i've only used the Remo-rings. how much do you have to use, and where do you place it? will it stay on a bass head, or even a reso head?

thanks...

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Moongel users

Moongel is a rubberized substance that you place on the drum heads to get rid of unwanted ring. It can be placed anywhere on the head you desire, most often it is placed around the outer edge of the head close to the hoop. you can break it into pieces and use multiple pieces or one large piece. I have never used it because I don't like stuff stuck to my heads, I don't use rings either. I like my drums to sound wide open and try to tune carefully to eliminate unwanted ring. I think that it would be a handy tool in a recording studio to eliminate unwanted frequencies while close micing a kit. But I have never needed anything on my heads to play live with.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how practical MoonGels are for every day use. Like backtodrum said, I own a set of MoonGels and I usually only use them when I'm recording in case a drum has an unwanted frequency that is interfering with another mic or something like that.

Also, be forewarned, if you leave a MoonGel on a white head for too long, you may get a blue stain where your MoonGel was. I got one on my snare head once - wasn't too happy about that.
    Pork Pie Silver Sparkle Drum Kit w/ Red Sparkle Stars

22x18 - Bass Drum
    12x9 - Rack Tom
    16x14 - Floor Tom
    14x6 - Clear Acrylic Snare
    12x6 - DW Green Sparkle Snare

Zildjian Cymbals
    24" - Vintage Ride Cymbal
    17" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    19" - A Custom Crash Cymbal
    14" - A Custom Hi-Hats

All Yamaha Hardware, Pork Pie Drum Throne
    Zildjian Drumsticks - Taylor Hawkins Signature

User Info Menu

I use moongels on almost all of my drums, including snare, upper toms and floor tom(s)

I like them just as much or better than zero rings
    (they don't fly off like zero rings do, unless the rings are taped)
    I use remo pinstripe heads and the moongels work well with dampening some of the excess overtones

I think they are handy for use on cymbals to, especailly my china to cutt off some of the reasonance
    They aren't used for bass drums, use an impact pad insted to dampen your bass, I use a remo falam pad
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I like 'em. I got some for my daughter's drums to muffle them a little. They do help and I like the sound and they are really cheap. I'll have to start moving it on the snare now that I know about the blue stain.

User Info Menu

i've never gotten a blue stain on any of my drum heads from them
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Hi people.
    I bought moongel but don't need it on my drums....they sound just fine to me...however on saturday I was given a real tinny sounding cowbell and a couple of small pieces of the moongel at the lower inside edge of the cowbell gave me the sound I wanted. so far it hasn't fallen out.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Would have never thought of using it on an unruly cowbell Riff, interesting idea.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 02-25-2008 at 10:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought Moon Gel and use it on my snare, small toms and floor toms. I use Remo Pinstripe coated heads and still wanted to dampen them a bit more. My drums are classic Ludwigs and I play exclusively with a big band. What I am after is a sound from the drums and cymbals that is articulate enough to make my statements BUT without getting in the way of ensemble and soloists. I have a Falam on the bass drum and tune the heads so that I have enough "Punch" without over powering the bass player. I find it interesting that some are using the Gel on cymbals and cowbells...way to go, guys! I am very meticulous about my kit and how it looks. I polish the drums before a gig and dust off the bronze. It never occured to me that there could be a transfer of Gel stain onto the heads. I routinely was the Gel pads as I've noticed that they start to lose their adherence as they accumulate dust. All in all, I'd have to say that I'm very pleased with the Moon Gel and truly like to sound I get from my drums.

User Info Menu

I think backtodrum covered it pretty good. I use them. They have left a blue stain on the coated snare but I just stick them in the same place every time. Just like Fiacovaz I wash them so they stick better. I dont think the would stay on the bass heads since the are vertical. I bought an Aquarian Super Kick 2 and that keeps my bass deep like I like it. I have also used Moongels on my ride. But when you take them off polish the cymbal immediately.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Moon Gel on cymbals...still can't believe that. But, I'll try it.

User Info Menu

they don't really do anything on crash cymbals and such
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

True PD I only tried it on my ride. But like I said clean it good once you remove them.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I know, I've washed moine twice since I've had them
    And they return right back to the sticky state when you first got them
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I use Moongels on my toms and my snare drum. Helps take the ring out of my set really well.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Moongel users

Ive Used Bits Of Moongel(yes Washing Does Make Them Tacky)altho I Dont Hardly Use Even My Aquarian Studio Rings Now That I Use The Aquarian Coated Super 2 Heads
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I'd recomend the Evans EC2 heads
    they have a "built in" zero ring that helps reduce ring ect
    That way there isn't a need for rings or moongels

Thoes are the next heads i'm going to buy for my kit
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Back in the day we used folded pieces of gaffers tape or duct tape to do the same thing. Today, there's moongel. I love the stuff. I've used it on snares, toms, cymbals (don't need it on the bass as I use the Emad II).

Come on now, does anybody really care about a "blue stain" on their drum head? Puh-lease. Obviously not a working drummer. No dis intended but, worrying about a stain on a drum head? How do you feel about stick marks - especially on white batters?

In any case. The moongels are sooo much better than the tape cuz the tape used to leave glue residue if you left it on too long and the glue residue continued to be a damper even when you didn't want it anymore. Moongels go on, then come off and neatly go back into their little case. I've had one on my snare for about 6 months... The drum's gone in and out of the case prolly about 25 or 30 times and the moongel is still stuck there. Great stuff.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

OK...be truthful....has anyone tasted it or licked it?????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer13 View Post
    I'd recomend the Evans EC2 heads
    they have a "built in" zero ring that helps reduce ring ect
    That way there isn't a need for rings or moongels

Thoes are the next heads i'm going to buy for my kit

In other words, you don't have these heads on your drums at this time so that you can qualify your recommendation. Is that correct?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    OK...be truthful....has anyone tasted it or licked it?????
    Say it isn't so! Well it does look like it would taste good now that you mention it..... be right back................

User Info Menu

Oh boy!

User Info Menu

Texture........Good Taste..... Bad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Claire_Asmud View Post
    Texture........Good Taste..... Bad

Obviously you missed the most important step. You forgot the barbeque sauce.

I Declaire!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Obviously you missed the most important step. You forgot the barbeque sauce.

I Declaire!